Winchester 94 Values?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RobertS
Levergunner

Winchester 94 Values?

Post by RobertS »

After attending a gunshow this weekend, I was amazed at some of the prices for Winchester 94's in 30-30, that would have been $150 to $250 a few short years ago. Today, I saw a Winchester 94 for sale, serial # 3,5xx,xxx range, for $299, and it had a few light scuffs on the stock, a few spots on the receiver, but very presentable condition, and probably better than you'd expect for one that age. According to the online serial number tables, this one is was manufactured about 1971. I am thinking that may be a pretty good deal, but what say you good men?

THANKS!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 Values?

Post by rangerider7 »

Any 94 after 1964 just doesn't bring the same value as the earlier ones. :(
"That'll Be The Day"
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

RobertS,

Winchesters have really gone crazy in the last year. I usually look at the pre '64's only and they are really high. With Glenfields selling for $250 up I would think that a nice post '64 94 at $299 would be a pretty good deal in my area of the world. FYI I was in a local pawn shop and they had one marked $499......I asked the clerk and she said "Well they don't make 'em anymore....." I only fooled with one post '64 94 back in high school and it worked just fine but the blue was a kinda purple/plum color.....it was probably made in about 1970......welcome to the forum. The folks here are all scholars and gentlemen/gentle ladies....

jumbeaux
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

Thanks so much for the information, I have one pre-64 that I bought a few years ago at a pawn shop for $75. It's pretty worn, but for the $, I just couldn't pass it up. I haven't really followed the post-64's, but it seems that there are various sub-classes of them, such as pre-safety, pre-angle eject, etc., and since they quit making them, these seem to be the "new" old winchesters. You all are indeed some of the finest gentlemen around, and I haven't posted much, but read often, and appreciate you all more than you know, and generally speaking, you all have been a great blessing to me. God bless you all!

RobertS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: Tack on "Trapper" and really watch the $$$$ roll out of sight :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Welcome, sit down, converse a bit.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

$299 would have been a good deal here too. I am trying to remember but I think that serial number falls in the stamped carrier range. I remember a few years ago, I was set up at a local show and there was a mid-70s 94 that had been bubba'd so bad that I thought I was going to cry. The price started out at $500 so that made me laugh. Walked around the next day and the seller had heard that winchester stopped making them so he put a 1 in front of the 5. :lol: :lol: Some folks will try anything.

$350 is the average price around here for a post-64.

Oh, welcome. I just realized that your a new member.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The late '70s started to look pretty good again, and appeared to have corrected most of the earlier Post 64 ills--at least superficially but including the lifter construction, an earlier tell-tale "flaw." Even the receiver material - or at least metal finish/make-up looked more like the days of old. These make great all 'round 94s and fine hunters. I don't know the exact number where this rebirth started to take place...maybe 4.5-4.8m or so? Definitely by the 5's. Nothing wrong with the basic functioning of the earlier '70s, and they no longer had the earlier-yet black painted look, but the finish is still more prone to rusting/pitting than Pre 64s and later Post's. ...and, on average, the actions are a bit rattley.

A local favorite gun shop had no fewer than five of the late Post 64s (pre safety) a few months ago, all lined up--all nearly flawless. They said they came from different purchases, trade-ins, etc., but I don't see how, just too similar--though they had a relatively broad serial # range from oldest to newest--about 500-750k worth of production #. None was earlier than 1977 or 1978, however. I'm a major Pre 64 fan, but wanted to buy the whole rack of them... or at least one--just couldn't justify it, given I already had two of their ilk.

I say up to $450--for a very nice very late Post 64/pre AE/pre safety--with no rust spots. Maybe $475-500 "LNIB," but that's approaching or meeting somewhat worn looking-but-still-very good Pre's. The last few years just before the angle eject (AE) intro are the nicest non-Pre 64s around--all the way from 1964 to "recent" plant closing, IMO...as always, ymmv. The era you are referring to--ca. 1970-1974/75/maybe '76 = no more than $350/375, even "pristine." Average condition, much less.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

meh........ aski'in and get'in are two separate things. Sellers aren't the "god's of the gun world" - by any means! :lol:
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

There are two like that in the pawnshop downtown, $249 and $329.

Remember that those guns are not true steel receivers and those freckles extend under the plating and can not be removed without removing the plating, making them larger.

If I were to get another one like that I would soak it down with trans fluid and leave it be.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

what is the reasoning in soaking it in transmission fluid?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good luck with your choice, and feel free to post more. If I missed saying so back in Feb, Welcome to the forum
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

Thanks, I really value all the information, and I'm still pondering the purchase. I'll be back soon!

RS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bbleverfan wrote:what is the reasoning in soaking it in transmission fluid?
It has a substantial amount of surfactants that will allow it to run up under the plating and saturate the rust that's there keeping any further moisture from wicking under the plating and expanding the rust. I wouldn't dunk it, but I'd soak it for a day with saturated rags.

I had one that I gently took fine bronze wool to and the plating came off in quarter sized sheets. From outward appearance, you would have never known the rust was under there. Only the slightest amount of freckling was visible.
Kind regards,
Tycer
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

so I guess that the 1894 with a 1954 serial number I bought recently for 375 was an ok deal,given that the rifle looks nearly unused? I was worried I paid too much.BJ
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

hocbj23 wrote:so I guess that the 1894 with a 1954 serial number I bought recently for 375 was an ok deal,given that the rifle looks nearly unused? I was worried I paid too much.BJ
Ha ha. You stole that one and you know it. How DO you sleep at night? :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

$300 for a good 30-30 Winchester that they ain't making any more? Come on, you know the answer to that.

Try to throw a wad of 3 $100 bills at a deer and see how far it gets you.