Where to learn about Winchester '95?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Where to learn about Winchester '95?

Post by Goat »

I do not know if I will ever be able to afford one but I have taken a liking to the looks of the Winchester '95 lever gun. I have not seen very many of them and have never had the chance to shoot one but I would like to. I think if I ever get serious about it I will look for a 30/40 or a 30/06. I think I would prefer the rifle over the SRC in this model and would like to have it equiped with a receiver sight.
Where should a guy start looking to learn about the history of these guns? Are there a lot of different variations or just a few different configurations and the different calibers? Any insight and history would be appreciated. Would some of you mind posting pics of your '95s?
Goat
Last edited by Goat on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Don McDowell

Re: Where to learn about Winchester '95?

Post by Don McDowell »

Back in the day before this became the leverguns political and ot board :roll: fella by the handle of Redcoat, wrote a fairly extensive article on the 95's. It might still be available on the leverguns.com articles page.
95's are good rifles just suffered from bad timing , they were trying to compete with the mad dash to the bolt gun and semi autos.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Try this article.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model_1895.htm

Good luck in your search for information.

Dave B
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Here is one written when Miroku first made their reproductions:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured ... /big_0401/

Enjoy.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

If you ever make it to the Wichita Kansas area, I'll see that you get to shoot 5 originals in different calibers. 405, 40-72, 38-72, 35 WCF, 303 Brit. Some of which you'll likely never get the chance to shoot again. I'm a die hard addict to the '95 platform. I don't know why. I started out like most others with a '94, went to a Marlin 94 after that, and then a string of other models including 71's, 73's, 86, 92's, 53's, and various others. But the '95 is always the one I come back to. Maybe because they are so different than the others, or maybe because they have so much more potential than the rest. I don't know, but I've seen those calibers do things in the field that I can't get with standard calibers. I once shot a young buck at about 70 yards with a 405...picked him up off the ground sideways...feet straight out toward me. I've never seen that out of anything else. If you asked me my favorite lever gun caliber, it would be the 38-40, but if you asked me about my favorite lever gun rifle, it would be a '95. You know, my uncle once said that he loved the '59 Chevy because it was soooo ugly...maybe that's why I love the '95, it's beauty isn't traditional.

Ed
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Miroku/Browning 1895 .30-40 rifle. I have a Miroku/Browning 1886 SRC. I have several other leverguns. The 1895 is by far the slickest dang lever I've ever shot. The lever throw is long compared to the Savage but SLICK/FAST.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

This is my .30 army SRC. When I bought it, it was sans rear sight. Had a friend that put on something else where we didnt have to drill. I have the handguard, but it wont fit over the rear sight. What little I have shot it, I am impressed.

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

try this book lots o' info, models,styles,calbers,dates and such.

http://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Repeat ... 318&sr=1-3
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have two, an origional 35 Win. rifle and I had a Browning 30-40 rifle rebored and chambered to 38-72. Plan on wringing that one out once I get one of the Buffalo Arms #21 sights on it, as with the factory sights, it shoots 2 feet low. I know I won't be able to get as much horsepower out of the Browning as my NEF, but the NEF was approaching low end 375 H&H speeds.

The shotgun buttplate is a lot easier on the shoulder than the curved one :shock:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I also have a thing about 95s. I had been wanting one for well over a decade and then prices shot through the roof. I finally bought a 30-40 a while back. It had been restored and had a funky stock on it. I bought it from Cabelas gun library. Their asking prices always seem high to me but they have negotiated on the purchases I have made. I also use Cabelas credit cards for personal and business expenses so that helped. I was out of pocket about $300 after using my credit card points on the purchase. I have purchased a few guns from them using the points and have even gotten some with no money out of pocket. If your gun budget is tight this may be the way to go. And besides you can say "but honey I bought it with points".

I have restocked mine and replaced the funky front sight on it. I hope to hunt with it some this year.

Dave
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Here is my USRAC WInchester 1895 in .405 Win. I hunt with it, I load for it and I love it. I think it is a great rifle.

They are out ther good luck.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

North Cape has a three book series on all Winchester lever guns - Volume 3 is for 94 & 95 rifles -

https://www.northcapepubs.com/

Teddy Roosevelt liked the Winchester 95 - called it his good medicine gun for lions - took three of them in .405 Winchester and one in 30-40 Krag on his trips to Africa.

Here's mine -

Miroku in Japan made 8000 in 1995 in 30-06 under license from USRA - half in Hi Grade as mine is and half in Grade 1.

I zeroed my sights to point of aim at 25 yards, then "fine tuned" it to hit 2" above point of aim at 100 yards and, it took less than one box of ammo to do it

It's a fine rifle in every way :!:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Finally got around to snapping a photo.

Top to Bottom
405 (1911)
40-72 (1898)
38-72 (1904)
35 WCF (1915)
303 Brit (1908)

Ed

Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Thanks to all for the info and the pics! I appreciate the effort it takes to post pictures. I think I may have to start saving for my first Winchester...
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Ed, why did you have to post that pic? Now I have to go change my shorts.

Dave
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I noticed North Cape is temporarily out of stock for the book for the Winchester 94 - 95 but, in my experience, they will have more soon. It's really a great book worth waiting for -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

BwanaDave wrote:Ed, why did you have to post that pic? Now I have to go change my shorts.

Dave

Hey Dave...why you complaining...you're the one who scored a '95 in Krag for $300...everyone else is thinking how lucky YOU are :wink:

Ed
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

SAw all those pics now I have to wipe the drool up off the keyboard!!!! :mrgreen:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Remember that in the early 1900s, the largest Elk rack (Boone & Crockett) was taken west of Crested Butte, Colorado, with a Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag - a friend of mine had both the rifle and rack in his motel.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Goat, if your looking for a 30-06 there are a few things you should know.
I have read, but have no first hand experience, but the original 95's did not handle the 30-06 round well. I think it had to do with the pressure and older steels used. If you buy one check to make sure it head spaces properly.
The new Winchester 30-06 95's have taken care of that problem with modern steel, but they do have a rebounding hammer and tang safety, if that matters to you or not?
The Browning 95's have modern steel and are a close copy of the originals with out rebounding hammer and safety.

I went with the Browning 95 in 30-06, fantastic rifle as accurate as any bolt gun and they can be found fairly easy on the auction sites.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Goat, if your looking for a 30-06 there are a few things you should know.
I have read, but have no first hand experience, but the original 95's did not handle the 30-06 round well. I think it had to do with the pressure and older steels used. If you buy one check to make sure it head spaces properly.
The new Winchester 30-06 95's have taken care of that problem with modern steel, but they do have a rebounding hammer and tang safety, if that matters to you or not?
The Browning 95's have modern steel and are a close copy of the originals with out rebounding hammer and safety.
Someone gave you false information -

For openers, the 30-06 wasn't developed until the Winchester 95 was 11 years old.

The originals were chambered for 30-40 Krag which has similar ballistics as the 30-06. More impressive, the originals were chambered for the .405 Winchester which is a lot more powerful than the 30-06. Those were Teddy Roosevelt's favvorites for his hunting trips in Africa.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER