Opinions please (range related) (sorry its long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
john4me05
Levergunner

Opinions please (range related) (sorry its long

Post by john4me05 »

I was at my local shooting range Monday to re-zero my 223... Well there was a mature man (low 30s minimum) along with his 2 sons (between 7 and 10 best guesses on both man and kdis ages)... Well when i wanted to go put a target up and his eldest son shot the man told him to clear his gun (single shot 22LR) he fumbled with it and cocked it again (first gun it appeared) and the man gently reprimanded him opened the bolt for him and told him to lay it on the table with the action opened. So i put up targets and come back.. Well others showed up and went to set up their targets and this guy would open his lever Henry 22 and proceed to look down range through the scope with people on the range... HE EVEN DID THIS WHEN HIS OWN KIDS WERE DOWNRANGE... I refused to walk down when he was doing this and his sosn picke dup on it and were looking through scopes as well with others down range.. The other shooters either seemed not to notice this or didnt care but i wouldnt walk down reguardless while they were anywhere near their guns for fear of them doing it when my back was turned...

Now this is a public range with no master on duty or anywhere else for that matter... I havent ever had this problem before because others have been there and firmly stated to put the guns down... I have thought to myself the way they put it they sounded like the male reproductive organ...

What is a good way to inform other seemingly uneducated people of proper conduct.. I dont want to be a butt about it and refuse to put myself infront of their muzzle wether i am 90* off center of it 100 feet away or not... The man seemed nice enough but with his gross neglegence in holding a weapon downrange when people are on the range it struck me as he very well could take offense to being called out and turn the gun on me with a round in it...

Should i try to find out if there is anyway to post range rules and have it as attendee policing to where crimes can be filed if extreamly unsafe conditions are being presented or what...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

It seems to me this guy was trying to do the right things teaching his kids safety and simply does not know the rule about not handling the firearm when people are downrange. Many people have never been to a range before, or have never had anyone discuss the rules with them. Why didnt you politely point out to him that it is a good idea not to handle firearms when people are downrange and that it is a rule at every range in the world. He doesnt need to be screamed at or belittled in front of his kids, just a man-to-man respectful discussion would be all that's needed. He didnt commit any crime at all, he just needs proper training.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

He obviously doesn't have a clue as to what the rules are. I would need to educate him in a firm but polite command voice and explain that things are done in a strict manner for safety's sake. At our range there is a red line on the concrete and you don't go forward of that line when the range is cold much less pick up something off of a bench or touch a gun. No one wants a gun pointed at them, or in their direction at any time.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'd a politely said he was doing a good job with his kids but it is really bad form to handle a firearm with folks down range..Folks down range might think you are going to fire off a round and probably won't take kindly to it..& that would be what I would have to think if I looked back and saw him handling a weapon..
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Rusty +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

I think that you are absolutly right.

In terms of addressing it, I would approach the range officials first and ask them to post a set of range rules in clear for all to see. Then if you call him out about it you can point to the posted rules and them it will not be a "you V Him" thing.
If there ae no posted rules and the man does not have a background of LEA or military he may never have been formally instructed on a range.

Regards
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

The one rule for gun safety that I always remember is' "Never point a firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy." My emphasis on "point." However, that says enough.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I have been hunting a few times and had hunters look to see who i was trough there gun scope :shock:
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

That is totally unacceptable behavior. The odds would be high that someone else on the range would point it out to him very clearly.

At any range where I've been, you do not TOUCH the guns while the range is not clear. Most ranges will not let you fool around at the bench while people are downrange.

Even at my club where we don't have someone in charge of the ranges, when someon wants to go downrange I will go back and sit on chairs well behind the benches until the people come back and we call the range hot again.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Ben said +3 or was that 5? Anyway I am Vice.pres of a gun club with 230 members. As range officer (when it`s my turn) I find that many people just don`t understand the rules but if you get on their case too heavy they get mad. I let them know politely what the rules are and if they dont follow them I WILL get in their face! No excuse for any accidents on my watch. :wink:
Let them know they can be banned from your club if they don`t follow the rules of good sportsmanship and gun handling. :D