OT -- Confuser ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT -- Confuser ?

Post by Doc Hudson »

My new confuser came with Internet Explorer installed. I installed Fierfox. i did not want either to be the default browser, i wanted both to be available.

Every time I opened Firefox, it asked if I wanted to be the 'Default Browser." Last time I guess I hit the wrong button. now "Firefox is the default browser and my Mom can't open IE. i can't figure out how to remove Firefox as the default browser without making IE the default.

The confuser is a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista (I hate Vista!). Does anyone know how to get me back to a two browser system?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT -- Confuser ?

Post by Pete44ru »

Dy-na-mite. ;) :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't, but I'll bet there's some guy in Pakistan that does :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:roll: that is sad.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

oh, goody. finally something I can post on that I have a clue about.

in firefox go to Tools, Options, Advanced. find the line that says, "always check to see if firefox is the default browser" and UNcheck it.

in internet exploder go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs and UNcheck that box about "internet explorer should check to see if it's the default browser."

you may have to leave the IE checked one time and FF unchecked, run IE so it will 'assume' it's in charge again and put the icons back to where she'll expect it. then go in and uncheck it again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

wecsoger,
you do not know what you have done to yourself, remember we are a bunch of gun nuts, struggling with computers.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

wecsoger wrote:oh, goody. finally something I can post on that I have a clue about.

in firefox go to Tools, Options, Advanced. find the line that says, "always check to see if firefox is the default browser" and UNcheck it.

in internet exploder go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs and UNcheck that box about "internet explorer should check to see if it's the default browser."

you may have to leave the IE checked one time and FF unchecked, run IE so it will 'assume' it's in charge again and put the icons back to where she'll expect it. then go in and uncheck it again.
Mescalero is right! if it gets much more complicated than a Model 1851 Navy Colt, I'm lost.

BTW, I am still unable to open IE, and FireFox is still the default browser.

i guess I'm going to have to call New Delhi.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

you call a local number, you wind up in New Delhi!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

mescalero1 wrote:you call a local number, you wind up in New Delhi!
1-800 number.

It could end up in new Delhi, Bombay, or Manila. you know good and well that it ain't likely to get to a US call center

Image Image
UNITE!
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Doc Hudson wrote:My new confuser came with Internet Explorer installed. I installed Fierfox. i did not want either to be the default browser, i wanted both to be available.

Every time I opened Firefox, it asked if I wanted to be the 'Default Browser." Last time I guess I hit the wrong button. now "Firefox is the default browser and my Mom can't open IE. i can't figure out how to remove Firefox as the default browser without making IE the default.

The confuser is a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista (I hate Vista!). Does anyone know how to get me back to a two browser system?

Yes, you use Restore to undo things in Vista. You did have it turned on, right? Open up Restore and backdate your system to the day previous to installing Firefox.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

BTW, I am still unable to open IE, and FireFox is still the default browser.

well, seriously, it ain't *that* hard. We can sort it out on the board, or at worst I'll PM you my cell # and if you're near the 'afflicted computer' I'm sure I can talk you through it. and I am bilingual, speaking both American English and Appalachian-American. (grin)

questions:
what version of FF are you using?
what version of internet explorer are you using? (although if it won't start, that may be hard to determine.)
on both, you just need to open them, click on Help and About.

that Tools menu I mentioned, you can also get to it via Control Panel and Internet Options.

You first have to un-check FF so that it will relinquish it's control on file associations and other sorts of internet access. it will still work, it just won't do the default browser check on start up any more.

and you have to get IE checked so that it can associate itself with the appropiate files and behave in the usual crappy way a lot of Microsquash applications do.

you say you can't start it? you click on the icon and nothing happens? or you can't find the icon to start it?
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

If you have two of something, one of them is going to be default. There's nothing wrong with that, you should be able still to open either. You may have to find the icon in the menu, I can't imagine it's even possible to 'uninstall' IE. It's in the menus somewhere. "I can't open" using an icon for a shortcut, that I can believe. You want to find the actual program itself, not open a shortcut on the desktop. On the other hand, you might be able to use one of those and (using a very handy Windows trick) RIGHT-CLICK and see if there's a "Open WITH" where you can choose what browser to use.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey Doc.
Click on the windows icon at the bottom left (the start button), click "Default Programs", click "Set your default programs", click "Internet Explorer", click "OK". It worked for me.

Good luck!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Bogie35 wrote:Hey Doc.
Click on the windows icon at the bottom left (the start button), click "Default Programs", click "Set your default programs", click "Internet Explorer", click "OK". It worked for me.

Good luck!

bogie
That, by thunder, did it!

Thanks Bogie, and thanks to everyone else!

Image Image
UNITE!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Computers-----once they get screwed up, it's like the world is screwed up. I easily admit I enjoy going to "Leverguns", but almost wish I didn't have a computer some times. Sure hope you clicked on some friendly buttons to get straight again.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Great, Doc! Glad I could finally be of service here! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.