Your vacation plans?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Your vacation plans?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have not had a real vacation in about ten years or so...
Yeah... I have had time off...but staying home on vacation...
aint a vacation....even rv camping was not the ticket...
Do you guys have any suggestions....where did you guys go?
I want to go to Montana....But thats a long drive from
central Florida.....and if i made it there...
I wouldnt come home! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Your vacation plans?

Post by Mokwaw »

Well, the last real vacation the wife and I took was spending a week in the surf and sand of Gulf Shores, AL. we also drove over to Pensacola, FL. and took in the Naval Air Museum. But, since you live in Florida, surf and sand probably doesn't appeal to you so much. I think our next trip will possibly be to the Grand Canyon, we're both past our mid fifties now and neither one of us has seen it. I'm a home body and she likes to GO some place, so we try to figure out something we both would like. I enjoyed watching the bikini clad bodies on the beach, but got to feeling like a :twisted: "dirty old man" :twisted: when I realized most of those bodies were young enough to be my daughter.
UNITE
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

My vacation is a few weeks in West Virginia over deer season every year.
I would love to take a trip through the Rockies, but that will have to wait.
I do yard work on a small gulf front property in exchange for 2 weeks of rental it is only 45 minutes away, so I dont take off work or anything. It is nice waking up to a morning walk on the beach and watching the sun set on the water.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mokaw,
While the grand canyon is an awesome sight, you really will get a better view of it if you go to an IMAX theater and watch the show.
It really is a big gash in the earth, and it is hard to take it all in standing in it.
I recomend a slow driving trip through the west, there is a lot of stunning land to see.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY ?? IN A FEW DAYS I HAVE TO LEAVE THE BLACK HILLS OF SOUTH DAKOTA AND DRIVE AAAAAAAALL THE WAY ACROSSED WYOMING, AAAAAALLTHE WAY UP AND DOWN THOSE DANG ROCKY MTNS, AAAAAAAALL THE WAY ACROSSED IDAHO TO BOISE, JUST SO I CAN EAT UP ALL OF JOHN TAFFIN'S FOOD, SHOOT UP ALL OF HIS AMMO, STAY UP ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT TELLING OUTLANDISH LIES, EVERY DAY AND NIGHT FOR TWO OR THREE WEEKS. UNLESS THE FOOD AND AMMO RUNS OUT SOONER.....OH WOE IS ME....I DO THIS FOR JOHN EVERY FEW YEARS JUST SO HE CAN ENJOY THE WONDERMENT OF MY COMPANY...LIFE AIN'T EASY FOR THOSE HERMIT BOOKRIDERS AND PEDDLERS YOU KNOW...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Asheville, NC is a great tourist spot.
Mountains, the Biltmore Estate, the Grove Park Inn(the spa is nice according to Nancy), The Blue Ridge Parkway, dining, music, art, weather......
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have been on a permanent vacation since I fully retired in 1996. Haven't worked a day since. The border of a National Forest is just 1.5 miles from me and I can shoot off my back porch whenever the urge strikes. We go to Los Angeles once in awhile to see the kids and grandkids but I don't think of that as a vacation -- terrible traffic, rug rats under your feet, etc.. So, this summer we are just going to stick around the ole homestead and I'll help out my buddy who was just diagnosed with cancer around his place when needed.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What have you always wanted to do but been unable to? Go do it. Leave everything else behind. No matter what happens you will have a whole different attitude when you get home.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Arkansas Bob wrote:Rent a boat and go fishing for a few days. Catch a few sharks and then shoot them with your lever gun.
You dont need a fishing rod down here to catch a shark....
they swim right up to ya... :o
I live in the shark bite capital of the world...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Why don't you try visiting another country? CANADA we are not far away, your dollar goes farther, (approx+20% of Canadian dollar) and we can use the business. Great fishing, friendly people, and great scenery. The only problem is that now for you to be able to return home, you need a passport or a nexus card to cross the border. Before this year, a birth certificate and/or driver permit was all that was needed. Just an idea.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

We took ours last month: Drove to SoCal and spent a week there. Dizzyland (sucked), Laguna Beach, SD Zoo, SeaWorld, Catalina Island. I had a good time.
Maddog521
Levergunner

Post by Maddog521 »

I just got back. I left Fort Worth and turned east at Minneapolis, south at Eau Claire, and then on to Milwaukee. I made many stops on the way back to Fort Worth. I always have a great time on the "Harley". Every day is an adventure and every meal is a banquet. One unique stop was the " Gateway Arch" in St. Louis. It is awesome. Pick a place and have fun.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This year already went to Cape May one week and stayed at the La Mer,going again in early August with a couple and staying another week again at the La Mer! Real nice place,sit out on the balcony and watch or swim with the dolphins.Right on the ocean and the beach is spotless.Place called the Lobster House is a fine restraunt to eat at.Also every night party at Sunset Beach! The orange sunset almost fills the sky,its unreal there.Very romantic!
The wife wants to spend Christmas there this year with some of our good friends?
We hear it is really beautiful there then. :?:
http://www.capemaylamer.com/page/tour.html
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Already did mine at the first of the year. Visited the daughter, son-in-law and grandbaby in sunny San Diego. Still waiting for fall when I'll take time off for deer and elk seasons. Hopefully work will be not too slow, nor too busy, so I can take enough time to do it right!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, you can swing by my place. I plan on filling the seams, nailholes, etc in the living room panelling and then painting it per Household 6.

I won't stop you iffn's you want to do it... :lol:
Terry Murbach wrote:WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY ?? IN A FEW DAYS I HAVE TO LEAVE THE BLACK HILLS OF SOUTH DAKOTA AND DRIVE AAAAAAAALL THE WAY ACROSSED WYOMING, AAAAAALLTHE WAY UP AND DOWN THOSE DANG ROCKY MTNS, AAAAAAAALL THE WAY ACROSSED IDAHO TO BOISE, JUST SO I CAN EAT UP ALL OF JOHN TAFFIN'S FOOD, SHOOT UP ALL OF HIS AMMO, STAY UP ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT TELLING OUTLANDISH LIES, EVERY DAY AND NIGHT FOR TWO OR THREE WEEKS. UNLESS THE FOOD AND AMMO RUNS OUT SOONER.....OH WOE IS ME....I DO THIS FOR JOHN EVERY FEW YEARS JUST SO HE CAN ENJOY THE WONDERMENT OF MY COMPANY...LIFE AIN'T EASY FOR THOSE HERMIT BOOKRIDERS AND PEDDLERS YOU KNOW...
Need someone to ride shotgun? :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You are in the heart of the cruise ship docks. Find one going someplace you'd like to see, and take a ride! I'm fond of Grand Cayman myself; been there twice. First time on my honeymoon and then again on our 5th anniversary. I'm usually not one for relaxing much - I get bored too easy, but every now and again it is nice to put your feet up, be waited on hand and foot, and really get away from it all. :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I took the family to Corpus Christi. Even managed to get the wife and my oldest daughter to spend a day getting a pedicure while I went deep sea fishing with my youngest daughter. The vacation before that we had gone to Disney World. Way too much of a fast pace there to enjoy yourself.
In Corpus we found a nice hotel on the beach. Slept in late, hung out at the pool or the beach and generally just enjoyed each others company. Nothing was rushed, went para-sailing, walked the beach for sea shells and took a short evening cruise. I came back more relaxed from that vacation than any of the ones I have had in years.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well as I said no real vacation this year but here in So Cal everyday can be a vacation. Today I had to help this young lady blend her make up at a law office in the building. What do you think, we thought the blush was too prominent?

Then I had to play golf with this character who covets my Model 88.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We'll be heading up to WV in a few weeks for a family reunion then spend a few days over in Va. Going to go see the Old Crooked Road there and head back home.

When you live in paradise where do you go for vacation? I'd be happy to never leave Fla. again but the wife likes to roam a bit.

If you head over to the Big Bend area of Fla. along U.S. 19 from Chiefland up to Perry there is plenty of nothing to see and just a nice place to relax IMHO. Go south to Crystal River if you want to see the manatees.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

In a couple of weeks,after the haying is done, the wife and I will take the horses and pack back into either the bob marshall or cabinet wilderness (havent decided yet)spend a few days fishing the high mtn lakes and streams and enjoy the mtn breezes and campfires. danny
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well lets see two weeks ago I returned from a SEVEN week vacation in the Philippines .

And hopefully I'll be able to make a 3 week return trip in February :wink:

And of course there are four or five little hunting trips to the Eastern Shore of Maryland in october , november and december 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S. I can only hope to someday be like you sir!
You still have that fun loving /zest for life that so many only dream of.Dont ever change.Just by your photos its evident by looking at you, your one happy man.You do us Levergunners proud! :mrgreen:
Take care!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just like last year: Ride the scoot to Ohio and try hitting different states this year than last year.....It's a little rugged, but men aren't happy unless they are miserable (or so said Robert Ruark, and I'm always dumb enough to keep taking his word for it :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well thank you madman, and Blaine, never know when you are going to come up with that twist of humor.

TERRY is headed out to Taffin's - twenty years ago Taffin and I corresponded with him for a while over the 44 Spl and there is a fellow also with a twist of humor with things. I bet they will have a great time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I've always wanted to rent a houseboat and cruise Lake of the Woods, Kentucky Lake, or Cumberland Lake. Swim, cruise, relax, fish; nothing like being on the water.

The wife on the other hand wants to someday make the Highway 127 yard sale. At over 600 miles it's the worlds longest, largest ...whatever.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just now gearing up for the annual summer family trip to the cabin in PA next week.

The boys and I go year 'round but the only time I can get Blondie to go is when there's
no chance of snow :D

Can't wait!!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

See a Space Shuttle launch.
Go to Knob Creek KY for the Machine Gun Shoot (don't miss Saturday night)
We enjoyed camping at Devil's Tower best of all the places we stayed.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You cannot hold it against Blondie because she is intelligent.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

iceman wrote:Why don't you try visiting another country? CANADA we are not far away, your dollar goes farther, (approx+20% of Canadian dollar) and we can use the business. Great fishing, friendly people, and great scenery. The only problem is that now for you to be able to return home, you need a passport or a nexus card to cross the border. Before this year, a birth certificate and/or driver permit was all that was needed. Just an idea.

I second this recommendation if you have a passport. Canada is a great place to visit (just leave the guns at home) and for the most part there are plenty of attractions to visit and see. Toronto has it all, Montreal isn't bad other than the fact that French prevails (though most Quebecois do speak English once they realize you're an American :lol: ). The Maritime provinces are have a ton of character. The Plain provinces are a bit dull but still interesting. The Canadian Rockies are extremely cool. And Canada has it's own Pacific island (Vancouver Island) sans the palm trees (my mom lives in Victoria).

My personal vacation plans this year are to head up to Sudbury at the end of this month and help my wife pack and move out of her house since we're closing on the sale of her house August 21st. Can't wait to drag her down to Oklahoma later this year. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Went to Victoria a few years back, it was cool.
Had some killer crepes.
Stunned everyone, it did.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

What's a vacation?

Was FORCED to take 5 days off in a row back in 1997,
high school buddy took me fishin/camping in the Sierras

Self employed and no bank account yet 10 yrs after life
dumped me. Paid off the credit, workin back taxes now,
haven't stop buying guns these past two years. I'm about
one or two years away from takin time off again.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

mescalero1 wrote:You cannot hold it against Blondie because she is intelligent.

:D

Heading out tomorrow AM for PA.
Both trucks, kids, dogs, guns,( Hot Chick :D ) etc., etc.,

No computers. No Phones. No electricity. No Problems!

I'll try to get some more "Pretty Girl" pictures for you :D

Last summer we saw six black bear. Hoping to get some better pictures this year.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

We live where a lot of people come to vacation. That is cedar city, utah. There are 3 national parks close to us. Cedar brakes about 6 miles as the crow flys behind our back door, or maybe 18 miles by road. Zion starts about 15 miles south of us, Bryce Canyon about 40 miles east, Grand staircase another 40 east of that, Grand canyon north rim about 90 miles south. Mesquite Nevada to gamble, eat and shows 90 miles south west, vegas about 3 hours from here. Mostly the wife and I explore the many trails and areas around us on our two seat quad. There is many abanded old mines west of us, semi gost towns, wild horses, some antelope, deer, turkeys, mountain goats, elk all within a hour. This is a college town that is noted for shakespearian theater groups and festivals, and I never been to a play! The area is colorfull with cowboys, sheephearders, indians and poligamists. The only cattle and horse auction in hundreds of miles is here every thursday. It is very colorfull with the ranchers and indians comeing to it. One of our best friends owns the resturant at the auction site and we hang out there a lot. That is a real slice of the west. Brian Head ski resort is about 25 road miles away, or 10 as the crow flys. We live at 6,000 feet. You can get up to 11,000 or down to 2,000 within a hour.
Even liveing here like that, it does seem to get a little boreing at times. We have explored most everything. Its not like back east where you have a town or village every couple miles with paved roads. Here I-15 goes through north to south, a east-west blacktop and basicly once you get out of town all other roads are dirt. I have been retired since january 2000, so basicly every day is vacation. Just wish we had the extra money for motels and gas, we would be on the road a lot more!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

First off, I won't ever go on vacation again now that I'm retired, I just go on trips. Why you ask? Well, when you're working, you go on 'vacation' from work, right? So if you're retired and already not working, what's a vacation from that? :mrgreen:

Second, like bogus bill, we live in a place many people come to visit. We live in a small valley SW of Denver in the front range at 6,100ft. Our valley has tons of deer, an 80 head elk herd, red fox, occasional black bear, rare mountain lion, lots of coyote, as well as the other more common animals. They are mostly very tame as our 11,000 acre valley is a game sanctuary with no hunting allowed (yes, we have Park Rangers). In 5 minutes I can be in the woods at 8,500ft or in Downtown Denver in 45.

That settled, my wife and I love to travel and this year especially we've been fortunate because of the great deals on trips. So, since the first of the year we've gone on or have scheduled and paid for:

* 2 weeks in Costa Rica last Feb.
* 2 weeks trip including Lake Tahoe, CA, through Death Valley to 'Vegas, and then head back to Denver via all the National Parks; i.e. Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Capitol Reef, plus a stop at Green River, UT last Apr.
* 1 week Alaskan inner passage cruise from Seattle with stops at Skagway, Juneau, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, and Victoria in Vancover last Jun.
* 2 1/2 week river cruise from Budapest, up the Danube, Mine, and Rhine rivers to Amsterdam scheduled for Aug.
* 2 1/2 week river cruise from Shanghai, up the Yangtze river to Chongqing, the to Xian for the Terracotta Soldiers, then to Beijing for the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square and the other sights scheduled for Oct.
* 1 week stay in Cancun scheduled for after Christmas and the last week of the year.

I told you we like to travel!!!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are