.22 CB caps for plinking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

.22 CB caps for plinking

Post by JeffG »

I've been thinking of an air rifle, but fellow Levergunner ".45colt" suggested these. I have zero experience with these, but they seem perfect for my backyard. Anyone have any negatives?
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

They won't feed through my Browning Auto 22, they will feed through my wifes Rossi 22 pump. In the Rossi, it is difficult to slid the 'tube follower' closed with the shorts. I think they sit a little crooked in the tube? I don't have this problem with the marlins tube magazine, they work fine in it..

I like 'em! Wish I had a 22 short auto pistol.
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Go with the CB Longs. They go further into the chamber and accuracy is better than with the shorts. In a 39A they are quieter than a Crossman pellet gun.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

The cb longs were less accurate than the cb shorts in my guns. The negative is cb's are higher priced than reg long rifles.
Dave
model55
Levergunner 3.0

cb's

Post by model55 »

You might like Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri they seem to function well in my 9422. Haven't tried them for accuracy but a friend told me the Super Colibri work great on cotton tail so they should be fairly accurate.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I use nothing more than the Super Colibri.

They function 100% in my 39a, 9422, Henry H001, and Winchester 62a pump.

So quiet, they are scary. Dropped a squirrel with a head shot at 20yds like it'd been hit with a standard 22lr
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Jeff, it won't cost much to try them. I have shot them for about thirty years now. I killed a bunch of fox squirrels over the years with them.I use the "longs" and from my bolt-action rifle they are as Menac says so quiet they are scary. Jim.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I use CCI CB's a lot in my Marlin 39 and other rimfires. They are quiet and accurate. Don't think they are like an air rifle pellet or something that should not be taken seriously. I went on an eradication shoot at a Federal facility where a lot of deer were shot at night with spotlights at close range from a truck. If you haven't guessed by now, we used CB's in rifles and took very precise head shots. They're very impressive.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Last trip to the range I took some CCI CB shorts to try in my Marlin 1892. Had ear protectors on, and on the first shot I though I had a misfire (only heard the firing pin hit - no pop or bang). Buddy next to me said no, he thought he saw smoke out of the barrel. Sure enough, it had fired - just that darn quiet :D
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

22 cb caps awesome

Post by dgr416 »

I love 22 cb cabs.We use to practice in the basement with these.We shot themn into two 4" phone books.It is the best way to introduce someone into shooting.I shoot them in my 10-22 Ruger thumbing the action.They are called cat killers by alot because its so quite.I have shot alot of squirrels with them a few rabbits and birds.I bet I have shot about 3000 of them.I know cci still makes them.Remington use to make them too.They are about $6-$7 a box now.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a "cap" gun. 8) That's what it sounds like, with CBshorts. :D Marlin Model 25, only made 1909-1910. It's a real fun caliber to shoot. Take a look at the roll stamp.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here's the skinny:

CB caps are louder and more expensive than either the Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri rounds. The latter are only powered by Eley primers; the CB cap, and it's smaller cousin the BB cap, in American form, do have small powder charges. That being said, they might be a bit more accurate. I am not sure. I shoot Colibri and Super Colibri rounds at a target in the basement, or through the window into the back yard, and no one knows. Heck, often my wife is in the kitchen and can't hear the rounds! They are more quiet than my .177 air rifle!!! I buy them in bricks at the local gun shows. Usually can find them for under $20/500-round brick, though lately they have been a touch more. Last time I purchased CB caps they were $8/100!

Need I say more? :wink:
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I shoot CB caps in my Rossi pump and they are very accurate.They are quieter than my pellet gun by far.
One of my most fun plinkers and bullets here in East Texas are only $2-$3 a box of 50.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

ysabel kid,

i just ordered some of the aquila colibri based on what you just wrote., i have a ground squirrel problem in my back yard. i tried the regular cb caps and they arent that loud but the echo out back makes them seem loud. lol, i dont want the neihbors to know what im doing.
Ysabel Kid wrote:Here's the skinny:

CB caps are louder and more expensive than either the Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri rounds. The latter are only powered by Eley primers; the CB cap, and it's smaller cousin the BB cap, in American form, do have small powder charges. That being said, they might be a bit more accurate. I am not sure. I shoot Colibri and Super Colibri rounds at a target in the basement, or through the window into the back yard, and no one knows. Heck, often my wife is in the kitchen and can't hear the rounds! They are more quiet than my .177 air rifle!!! I buy them in bricks at the local gun shows. Usually can find them for under $20/500-round brick, though lately they have been a touch more. Last time I purchased CB caps they were $8/100!

g rice
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The long barrel of the Marlin M39 allows it to shoot .22 shorts as quietly as anything going. Mine has no muzzle blast or report of any kind. I took my M39 to the range once when my best friend was the range officer. I was halfway through a tube full of shorts and he walked up and said well are you just gonna play or are you gonna do some shootin today. I handed him my field glasses and he looked at my target to see. he didn't think I was shooting at all.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

thats what i need.
Rusty wrote:The long barrel of the Marlin M39 allows it to shoot .22 shorts as quietly as anything going. Mine has no muzzle blast or report of any kind. I took my M39 to the range once when my best friend was the range officer. I was halfway through a tube full of shorts and he walked up and said well are you just gonna play or are you gonna do some shootin today. I handed him my field glasses and he looked at my target to see. he didn't think I was shooting at all.

Rusty <><
g rice
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well go getcha one Gary. While you're at it get a brand new one so Marlin knows how great they are.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is what I use--somewhat quiet--will feed in any mechanical gun--and the bullets disintegrate on impact with any hard surface.- They are made of compressed graphite
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I use CB longs in my 9422. They are quiet and good on squirrels at short range.

I have never tried Colibri but have heard they can hang up in a rifle barrel and are only supposed to be used in revolvers.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:I use CB longs in my 9422. They are quiet and good on squirrels at short range.

I have never tried Colibri but have heard they can hang up in a rifle barrel and are only supposed to be used in revolvers.
game keeper - I use the "Super Colibri's" in rifles just for that reason. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gary rice wrote:ysabel kid,

i just ordered some of the aquila colibri based on what you just wrote., i have a ground squirrel problem in my back yard. i tried the regular cb caps and they arent that loud but the echo out back makes them seem loud. lol, i dont want the neihbors to know what im doing.
Ysabel Kid wrote:Here's the skinny:

Gary -

That's why I use them. Don't get me wrong - a BB Cap, CB Cap, and a .22 Short are all quiet. But I have found that they all make a "crack" sound that would attract unwanted attention from the neighbors. The Colibri's don't have the crack. At least in my guns and with the acoustics in my yard.

Good luck! :D
model55
Levergunner 3.0

cb's

Post by model55 »

All I hear with the Colibri is the action of the gun when I cycle it :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The CCI CB Longs shoot and feed nicely in all my .22s. I even shoot them in my 10-22, but I have to cycle the action by hand.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I use CB shorts in operations against chipmunks in my yard. They are a challenging target. The CB's will feed in my Marlin 39A and the gun sounds like an air gun going off. No real gun sound.