Peep Sight for 1894?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Peep Sight for 1894?

Post by LeverBar »

The latest rifle I purchased is a .30 WCF '94 takedown DOM=1924, 26" octagon barrel. It has the two holes tapped in the left side of the receiver for a peep sight.

What receiver peep sight is appropriate for the age and function of this beauty?
Do any of you have one sitting around you would like to get rid of?

Also, I did get to shoot it. My oldest son and I went out to plink today. With regular open sights, it was just too sweet to believe! Exceptionally accurate--nailing golf balls off-hand at 70+ yards!

I'm looking forward to loading my own for it, and testing it on paper.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

If your nailing Golf balls at 70 yards off hand I sure as hell would not replace the sights with anything! :shock: Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ditto what Mike said. But on that thread about the neat Winchester site there was one made in the teens with a Lyman side mount sight on it. The text didn't say which Lyman so I can't say.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Is what you want is a Lyman 56. These are what was used during early pre-war and up until the fifties. Ken Bean of York, Pa has 'em. I'm guessing about a c-note.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Dang! Sixgun, that beasty photo shocked me again! I'll be glad when you retire her!

':D'
I thought you fellows might be wise about it and hit me with this idea--"If your nailing Golf balls at 70 yards off hand I sure as hell would not replace the sights with anything!"

Yeah, seems wrong to mess with anything. But my eyes are leaving more quickly than I like to notice, and it's going to be peeps on all my iron-sighted rifles pretty soon, I'm afraid.

I have Bean's number from a different site. Is this still the correct one?--717-755-9070
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

LeverBar wrote:Dang! Sixgun, that beasty photo shocked me again! I'll be glad when you retire her!

':D'
I thought you fellows might be wise about it and hit me with this idea--"If your nailing Golf balls at 70 yards off hand I sure as hell would not replace the sights with anything!"

Yeah, seems wrong to mess with anything. But my eyes are leaving more quickly than I like to notice, and it's going to be peeps on all my iron-sighted rifles pretty soon, I'm afraid.

I have Bean's number from a different site. Is this still the correct one?--717-755-9070
Leverbar, that number sure looks framiliar. Google it--just type in Ken Bean, York, Pa.

Get used to the eye thing. I am 53 and can't even see an open sight. Tang sights are on all of my leverguns.

Hillary? Yep, Her picture does strike emotion and thats the very reason I post it. I WANT EVERYONE TO REALIZE THE POTENTIAL DANGER SHE IS AND GIVE, GIVE, GIVE TO THE NRA AND VOTE! A REAL MONSTER SHE IS AND MAY THE GOOD LORD GIVE WISDOM TO THE PEOPLE TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND VOTE HER SO FAR DOWN IN A LANDSLIDE ELECTION SHE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SHOW HER FACE IN PUBLIC AGAIN.----------------------Sixgun

LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I'm a 1954 kid also--August.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

LeverBar wrote:I'm a 1954 kid also--August.
July--I'm older than you :(

LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Blazin' the trail for me!
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I talked with Ken, he is going to set me up with what I need.

He really seems to know his sights/history. An expert!