OT Federal primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

OT Federal primers

Post by MikeS. »

Hey guys, i asked this a few days ago in Rimfire's primer thread but didn't get an answer. So I'll ask it directly now.

Anyone here have problems with Federal primers being "soft"? My Lee primer handloader says not to use them.

So, what do you think of them?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT Federal primers

Post by Old Ironsights »

I LIKE them because they are "soft". Much better for old guns.

Lee doesn't like them because a couple of careless gorillas set some off in a hand primer - somthing almost impossible with CCI.

If you are properly careful/gentle in seating them, the Lee handprime works just fine.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yeah, I think the softness can come in handy at times as OI notes. However, I think it can confuse things as well. A softer primer is probably going to show pressure signs a lot earlier than a harder CCI or Winchester primer of the same type. Some guy shooting Federal primers might think he's at a max load when he's really a good distance away.

I've only used Federal in small pistol and haven't had a problem with them. I would imagine though that in an auto-loader with a floating firing pin that one could get into a slamfire with a Federal primer long before such would happen with a harder CCI or certainly the mil-spec CCI's.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I use them in my 45ACPs for their softness. The firing pin strikes at Six O'Clock on the primer in one of my 1911s and
won't reliably go off with Winchester and other hard primers. Remmington seem to work too. I do all my 45 ACP with Remington and
Federal.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I like Federals but they are not only a little thinner material and consequently softer but they are also a slightly different chemical makeup than some other primers. I personally have never had a problem with them. All that said, Lee and Federal (or their current corp owners) have had a pizzin match going on for over 20 years. So you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Yes, be a little more cautious in automated primers seaters and don't get ham fisted but I also believe that their softness has pluses. Yes, they will "show" pressure signs (I have pressure equipment) earlier than others but I also consider that a plus. Federals (in rifles) start looking spooky about the time you should start getting spooked. I've seen CCIs that looked completely "normal" at over 80,000psi. So if you are going to look at primer condition, especially for the beginner, I think Federals are the way to go.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks guys!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I also use and like Federal primers and have never had any issues with any of them, regardless of size.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Me too! Federal is my primer of choice. I have used the Lee hand primer with them and have no idea how someone was able to set one off.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most of the Benchrest competitors (in the winning lists) are using Federal small rifle primers and those boys push the limit on pressures with 65K + not uncommon. I use Federal also in many of my loads and have never had a complaint or issue with them.
Lee don`t like them because they are more sensitive then others and they want to cover their butt for legal reasons. :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I started with CCIs and always used em (they were typically cheaper), but recently bought Federals. My Dillon press LOVES em, and yer Lee will too. They are softer, so they seat MUCH easier, with none of that business of cliunking into place like the frequent oval CCI will do, and no more issues with high primers. Just don't go nuts on em, smashing em mindlessly into place, and yer gonna like em.
Certified gun nut
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

My reading of Lee's info on Federal primers is that the primer compound itself is the source of Lee's recommendation to not use them in a Lee Auto-Prime. Lee always said that Winchester and CCI primers were fine in the A-P. CCI and Speer were part of Blount, Inc. when Speer was saying not to use the Lee Factory Crimp die with Speer bullets. Lee had no beef with Federal, other than their priming compound.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The CONCERN about Federal primers is of them detonating in some progressive presses, causing a chain reaction explosion. If you search the net in the right spots, you'll see this is actually a common event. :shock: :o
Slow is just slow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There have been times when I've primed hundreds of cases at a sitting with Federal primers. Once I happened to look at the tray in my auto prime and noticed it was covered with a yellow green powder. This powder matched the color of the mixture in the Federal primers. I suspect that if enough of this dust built up, and a spark ignited it, that things could get dicey. So I just keep my priming tools clean and use restraint and caution as I gently push the primers home.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don't ask me why because I don't know but Richard Lee stated that the reason that the LEE Auto Prime tool isn't recommended for use with Federal primers is because LEE never tested the LEE Auto Prime tool with Federal primers. Seems odd that they (LEE) didn't but that's what Lee Sr. stated. I guess it doesn't really matter to LEE as they sell their LEE Auto Prime tool by the bucket full.

As some of you have stated, there seems to be no problem using the LEE Auto Prime tool with Federal Primers. I think LEE's warning not to use that combination has more to do with liability than anything else.

Joe -

LEE addresses the primer, powder, residue collecting in the primer tray in their literature and actually has a recommendation (chart) of how many of each type of primer to use in their LEE Auto Prime tool at any one time.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sat May 30, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Used Federal for many years in my Lee hand primer, with not a bit of trouble. Now on the other hand, the Lee 1000 press I was using didn't take to them at all. Destroyed one primer assy using Federal, but as an aside, had nothing but trouble with that press, so its sitting somewhere in the shop. My 45 Colt Lee 1000 works fine, so go figure. Was awful loud and the SWMBO was not too pleased :shock:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thunder50 wrote:Used Federal for many years in my Lee hand primer, with not a bit of trouble. Now on the other hand, the Lee 1000 press I was using didn't take to them at all. Destroyed one primer assy using Federal, but as an aside, had nothing but trouble with that press, so its sitting somewhere in the shop. My 45 Colt Lee 1000 works fine, so go figure. Was awful loud and the SWMBO was not too pleased :shock:
I'll bet not.
Before I was married I had my reloading set up in my bedroom. My mom was always coming into my room to vacuum. One day I got fumble fingered and spilled a tray of primers. Don't know what brand. I found all but one. I told my mom not to vacuum until I'd found that primer. Well, I never could find that one lousy primer in the shag carpet and mom forgot my warning. In she came with the vacuum and found that live primer. KA-POW! It went off in the vacuum. Scared the stuffins out of her. She was sure the vacuum had been blown to bits.
She got really mad at me when I reminded her about not vacuuming until I'd found that stray primer.

And the noisy vacuum was not hurt.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Modoc ED wrote:Don't ask me why because I don't know but Richard Lee stated that the reason that the LEE Auto Prime tool isn't recommended for use with Federal primers is because LEE never tested the LEE Auto Prime tool with Federal primers. Seems odd that they (LEE) didn't but that's what Lee Sr. stated. I guess it doesn't really matter to LEE as they sell their LEE Auto Prime tool by the bucket full.

As some of you have stated, there seems to be no problem using the LEE Auto Prime tool with Federal Primers. I think LEE's warning not to use that combination has more to do with liability than anything else.

Joe -

LEE addresses the primer, powder, residue collecting in the primer tray in their literature and actually has a recommendation (chart) of how many of each type of primer to use in their LEE Auto Prime tool at any one time.
Hmmm, some day when I have nothing else to do I should possilbly read that. I suppose that familiarity breeds contempt could apply here, but I've used the Lee tools for so long that I pretty much ignore their warnings. I keep the tool clean and properly lubed, and load 10, 23, 47, 50, 65, or a 100 primers at a time in it and seat them.
I've never had any trouble with any brand of primers, and don't look to.

Joe
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I USED to do a lot of things with primers that I don't do anymore. I've accidentally done some horrible things to them, and I'd done what I now know were some horribly stupid things trying to undo them. The more I researched primer problems and detonations, the more I realized I'd been REALLY lucky all these years. I no longer take chances just to try and save a few minutes, or seconds, or what in reality is an inexpensive piece of brass.
Slow is just slow.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Old Ironsights, PLEASE post the English interpretation of that Latin phrase you included along with your reply. I don't think you appreciate the curiosity you generate by doing this. THERE ARE people who want to know just what the HELL it means!!!!!! jd45
P.S...I left the Roman Catholic religious organision, ( I no longer recognize it as a "church", let alone the only TRUE church) a LONG time ago, tho I'm still a Christian.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jd45 wrote:Old Ironsights, PLEASE post the English interpretation of that Latin phrase you included along with your reply. I don't think you appreciate the curiosity you generate by doing this. THERE ARE people who want to know just what the HELL it means!!!!!! jd45
P.S...I left the Roman Catholic religious organision, ( I no longer recognize it as a "church", let alone the only TRUE church) a LONG time ago, tho I'm still a Christian.
:mrgreen:

"Malum Prohibitum" is a legal term meaning, "Evil by Prohibition", i.e. somthing that is "evil" only because someone/government says it is and "prohibits" it. It makes THINGS "evil", even though those THINGS have no capacity for either good or evil. They simply exist.

As a legal term, it stands in contrast to "Malum in se", which means "Evil unto itself". ACTIONS are the only thing that can be evil, and in particular Evil with no redeming quality (malum in se).

Guns are "evil" only where Prohibited, but Rape is always Evil regardless of prohibition or not.

The Phrase: "Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum Est" roughly means:

"Evil of/by Prohibition is the Evil of Government Rule (itself)."

Essentially, Government demonstrates its own Evil/malevolance by "Prohibiting" THINGS/declaring them to be evil.

Thus endeth the Lesson. ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Thanks for the Latin lesson. I wish I knew Latin...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thank you Old Ironsights. I appreciate the enlightenment. Good shooting! jd45