OT - Primers Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Primers Today

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

As is typical, the primers that went in stock today did so during lunchtime for me.

Grafs posted stock on Federal LP-Match and (get this) Federal SP Magnum Match. I haven't seen any SP Magnum in quite a while. Of course, the 5000 they had were out of stock within 10 minutes.

Midsouth also posted stock on Federal LP-Match during lunchtime. They also had CCI LR-Match (BR2) for a couple of minutes. Literally, two minutes. Someone either snapped them up quickly or they made a mistake in their database and quickly corrected it. The CCI BR2 hasn't been seen in months online.

Generally, I'm seeing two or three types of primers (often Federal brand) appear each day of the week at the various online retailers. I'm not sure why Federal is able to ship primers when CCI isn't. I'm not really seeing a lot of Federal ammo on the shelves at my local stores so I assume they are still not caught up.

Just wanted to throw an update out there. Hopefully it was an Anvil user that snagged those SPM-Match (#200M) at Grafs.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Primers Today

Post by crs »

Interesting times for the reloader.
Today Narchez emailed me of the availability of Accurate 2230 :)
but it was all gone before I got to their site! :(
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang! :x
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's gotta slow down some time guys.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well I am fortunate that I was able to get enough stock to keep me for a while. Hopefully this primer frenzy will subside some so that people can get a box of primers when they need em and not have to stock up.

I'm seeing signs that the ammo and gun buying are easing up some.

The thing is, it'll only take one serious push by holder or bho to set off another frenzy.

But, I take this as a good sign that people are actually paying attention to whats going on! Finally! Or so I hope.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I don't know when this ammo and reloading component shortage will finally end, but there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Either everyone will finally get all they need, the manufacturers will ramp up production in order to make hay while the sun shines, or a combination of both will result in the shelves being stocked again.

I have been stocking up for the past two years on both ammo and reloading supplies. I just got in under the wire on primers and powder before the shortage began. I stocked up just after Christmas and should be good for a while. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the lack of .380 ammo. Luckily I don't shoot a lot of it, but I wish I had bought more of it. I was going to start reloading for it, but I can't find any .380 dies. I did see some .380 95 gr. bullets at Midway the other day but didn't order them because of the lack of dies.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've talked to several folks at Graf's in the last week. They have all said that
they are filling backorders first, and that there are "hundreds" of cases
on backorder. I was told that they are not filling new orders until the backorders
are caught up. So, I guess Graf's is off the list for me for now. It'll have
to be as they won't take my order! :shock:

I did get 3K of Federal LP from Natchez last week, so that is a help. Now all
I need are some SP and LP Magnum.

This too will pass. (I've heard that somewhere..... :-))

Now I read a rumor (THIS IS A RUMOR - NOT YET CONFIRMED!) that Ruger
is backordered over 450,000 firearms. Anybody know anything about that?

-Stretch
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Graf's may be filling backorders but they are also putting primers online as well. They had the Small Pistol Magnum Match stuff available yesterday for example. I know, it's the Gold Medal Match and not just the plain SP Mag, but it's still an option if you're looking for SP Mag and don't mind an extra couple of $'s per thousand. Also, There were Large Pistol Magnum Match posted on Grafs late in the day. Again, the more expensive Federal Gold Medal stuff, but it's available for a few $'s more if you need that type of primer.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

My local gun store received 20k of Federal of each of the 4 main types of primers Monday. Yes, Monday Memorial day. The owners met the truck to unload it. They also got numerous cases of ammo in. I bought 1k of small and 1 of large pistol primers.

Anyone here have problems with Federal primers being "soft"? My Lee primer handloader says not to use them.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Midway had MagTech SP this afternoon.

I managed to get my order in in time this go 'round!

Thanks again for the Anvil, Rimfire.

-Stretch
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

The situation is getting insane. I got some Reloader 7 at a local store today. The fella says they got them in Tuesday and they'll be gone by the weekend. Primers are a long-forgotten memory. I'm very glad I stocked up on several thousand last year.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

MikeS. wrote: The owners met the truck to unload it.
Yeah, I bet shrinkage on primers is WAY up! (lots of 'em falling off of trucks!)
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Was at a local haunt today, and they had a 3 sleeve (300) limit on primers. They only had 3 sleeves left - CCI 500 small pistol primers - so I bought them. $4.99 each - highway robbery...

Yesterday at a Bass Pro Shops I wiped out their remaining inventory - seven sleeves of CCI 250 Magnum Large Rifle primers. I don't think I will use them, but they might make good trading fodder for primers I will need. After all, when BoBo and his ilk are done wrecking the economy and inflation sets in, ammunition and reloading components may be the best hard currency around!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

In town today my favorite slobber shop , had 4 brand new dpms a-4's, a couple of new USFA's, a handful of henry's in 22 and 17, and various and sundry 22-250 and other varmint type rigs, that weren' there last time. He was out of the cases of cci primers he had on my last trip in, but had set back 1k of federal lp's incase I wanted them. Thanked him but declined. He also had quite a bit of 223 ammo, all 3 of the 762's , some 50 bmg, and 30 carbine , that wasn't there last month.He's really disgusted he can't get 22 ammo, and is chomping at the bit to get the "hunting" ammo in, but its all on backorder right now. He did say if things don't loosen up a bit more he may have to shut this store down for a bit, just to keep his store in Rock Springs stocked. He's also concerned about what happens when the glut starts to ease, and all the hoarders realize just how much stuff they bought they'll never use, and all that stuff hits the streets at garage sale prices. Figures the flow of components and unfired guns, maybe a bit tuff on him and other store front operators.
The other place has just moved into a larger building, and looks to be increasing their inventory by quite a bit, there was enough new gun and ammo cartons stacked against the back wall I'm betting the workmans comp claim by the UPS driver is going to go on for quite awhile. :lol: Will have to peek in there next trip and see what's goin on.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Don McDowell wrote:He's also concerned about what happens when the glut starts to ease, and all the hoarders realize just how much stuff they bought they'll never use, and all that stuff hits the streets at garage sale prices.
That right there is the main reason manufacturers aren't going nuts kicking production into high gear. They could sell all kinds of stuff right now, but what happens if the potential bans don't happen? It's a gamble either way.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

crs wrote:Interesting times for the reloader.
Today Narchez emailed me of the availability of Accurate 2230 :)
but it was all gone before I got to their site! :(
Last night they e-mailed me that Varget was in stock. I went right to the site and ordered it. This morning they were already sold out again. It sure went fast.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If the "glut" ever hits the street, I'll be buying that, too. :roll: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm thinking that there might be a glut of firearms in a few years if some
of these draconian measures do NOT come to pass. As for me, I'm with
Hobie - I plan to shoot up all of the primers, bullets, and powder!! :)

I visited the local gun shop today. No 231, 2400 or Blue Dot. I did pick up a
couple of hundred rifle primers. The experienced fella there told me that
Bushmaster has backorders for a MILLION black rifles right now, and Kimber
has a 6 month waiting list for a new pistol.

No only are those numbers impressive, but this is in the middle of a depression!!
Strange times indeed........

-Stretch
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

stretch wrote:The experienced fella there told me that
Bushmaster has backorders for a MILLION black rifles right now...
Some have noticed that EBRs aren't moving right now. I hope that's not bad news for Bushmaster.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville