OT - Ruger Tune Up (Part 2)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

OT - Ruger Tune Up (Part 2)

Post by salvo »

I posted most of this a wile back, I was unable to search up the first post:? so I could just add on to it. Here is the whole thing, this Ruger is finished other than new grips.

I traded for a stainless Ruger Vaquero in .44Mag about 6 months ago and have shot it once since then, the accuracy was nothing special It shot a bit low but centered at 25 yds. 2 3/4"
My old SBH I used for comparison shoots 1.5” all day long.
I shoot 240 gr. JSP – 24.2 gr. H110 – Fed 155 almost exclusively out of my .44 Mags.

So I bought some more tools from Brownells and gave it a tune up! I have four .44 Mags so the tools will get used.

First I reamed the cylinder.

Gave it an 11 deg. Forcing cone.

Squared up the muzzle and took a big nick out of the crown with a new 45 deg. Crown.

Polished the action and adjusted the sear notch depth on the hammer. 1.75# Trigger that is sweet! With the OEM springs.

And fitted a Belt Mountain base pin #5

Removed the billboard on the barrel, knocked the high spots off with a file then used Medium grit emery paper and a wood sanding block (following the barrel contour) worked it down to fine emery then finer grits of sand paper. Final polish with 3M Finesse-It #05938 and maroon 3M pad

I bought two front sights of different height from Freedom Arms, had to remove the old front sight, deck the barrel, channel then cut the dovetail. I set the sight down in the barrel slightly so you would not see the rounded barrel under the sight that would make a gap, without decking it first.
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_NewSight.htm

I still need to replace the grips with tan ivory micarta.

She is shooting much better now!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Ruger Tune Up (Part 2)

Post by kimwcook »

Salvo, that was really cool. I really appreciated it. I love doing some of my own small gunsmithing jobs and what you did is right down my alley. Nice job and the results tell the tale.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice job. Ya gotta love those Bisleys. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

You didn't just "tune it up", you overhauled it.

You probably could have fixed the grouping by taking the nick out of the crown.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Someday (maybe soon) I'm going to work up the courage to cut a dovetail in a round barrel.

(The thought of missing "level" has me spooked!)
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks guys, It was a fun project that most could do! so get after it kimwcook, it really paid off in the handling dept.
Joe just fixing the crown wouldn't been much fun :D
20cows, I doubt you will have much problems with a dovetail, fitting all those different year parts in your puzzles is a lot harder to do!
Your right Rusty, the bisleys grow on you, I use to think they looked funny until I shot a heavy .44 out of one, side by side with a SBH what a difference that funny handle makes with recoil.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great work! That is one fine looking six gun.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

[quote="salvo"]Your right Rusty, the bisleys grow on you, I use to think they looked funny until I shot a heavy .44 out of one, side by side with a SBH what a difference that funny handle makes with recoil.

Scott, that's exactly why I don't have any SBH's anymore and only have Bisley type biggenboomers. The slap of the plowhandle with high end loads is to uncomfortable, for me. My preference is for FA's and Ruger Bisley's.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Your pictures finally finished loading, slow dial up. That's really good work and I'm drooling over that front sight blade.

If the measurements are right, it would solve a BIG problem I've got. My Win 94AE Trapper .45 Colt has the light weight thin barrel. The factory front sight is welded, soldered, or brazed on. And it's TILTED. The rear dovetail is square with the receiver, the front sight is not.
Now, is the dovetail on that Freedom arms sight blade a standard depth dovetail or a shallow dovetail?
What is the barrel diameter at the point you machined the dovetail?
What is the barrel wall thickness at that point?

It looks like that front sight has a set screw in it, am I seeing correctly?

I'm thinking that if that sight blade dovetail is shallow enough I could have the original sight removed and a shallow ( very shallow ) dovetail cut in the barrel for the sight. That would FIX my crooked sight problem very easily without needing to have the thing reblued.

Depending on your answers, I got more questions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe it is a pretty shallow dove tail .060"
The barrel wall is .155" thick and .737" in diameter.
It does have a set screw, pretty neat front sight. I have been looking for the right front sight for a wile now and when I saw rjohns new Freedom Arms that has this sight, I ordered one. Here is a wright up on GunBlast
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_NewSight.htm
You can get three different heights.
I was surprised at how easily the stock front sight came out, just moved it back and forth a little and it popped right out.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Here are the other questions:

How wide is the blade?
Do you have a web site to look at them for prices?

Now I need to dig out that Trapper and measure the barrel.

After that, I need to find a ... a ... gun ... smith. Oh well, so much for that idea. Ain't non of them around here.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott -

Excellent work! Thank you for sharing this with us - especially all the pictures! 8) :D :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see it with the "tan ivory micarta" grips. What source for these do you prefer?
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe, here are the sights measurements

Blade base .200 x .720
Upper blade sight is .100 wide
Dovetail base is .375 wide

I bought 2 of the 3 sight heights .380 is the tallest they sell, the middle one measures .330 high. I wanted one set up for 240 gr. loads and the other for 300+ gr loads and will file/trim them respectively for the loads. I may open up the rear sight just a bit also.

704-49 Replaceable Blued Fixed Front Sight (3 heights available) Installation requires machining $37.30 ea.
That line is hard to find on Freedom Arms web site and is the only reference to the sights that I could find. If you call them they know what your looking for.
http://www.freedomarms.com/
Click on GUNS, then scroll down to - Option/Price Sheet for New Guns

YK, I have a link at home that I will post this afternoon to the stock maker I am going to use, I just can not remember there name.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As usual, a great job Salvo. It is kind of disconcerting how easy those Ruger front sights pop off. Several guys at our range have popped their Ruger fron sights off while trying to slightly bend them to adjust point of aim.
ED
Yer never too old
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

That is a great job. I wish you lived close to me, and we were best friends.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks again I sure appreciate the comments.
Modoc ED, I have tapped a few front sights over, just been lucky I guess. If a guy tries it he needs to now there is a good chance it will go sailing out of it's notch!

Me too edwardyoung, at least we are friends, I remember we almost did a Puma swap a wile back, so you could have a chopped 16" :D

YK, I found the web site for the grips, I have never dealt with them but have seen the nice work they do. Very reasonable prices and will fit the grips to your grip frame for no additional cost!
http://www.klamathriverwoodworks.com/page2.php
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Scott!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Scott, beautiful work. Truly. Well done. What a prised shooting iron you have made.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Cute little booger aint it. You do good work.
I've got a couple 45s I need to work on but never seem to find the time. I just shoot em and cuss em.

You done yourself proud there, thats a fine looking piece.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks guy's, I need to find another project now, I think I enjoy tinkering as much as shooting...well almost.
I would love to find a reasonable old 94 octagon rifle with a good bore but needs work, one that could never be collectible, but a good shooter. I know it's out there somewhere. Or even an old beater Marlin and try a take down conversion on it?
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, If I was closer by a lot we could tinker with my 94AE Trapper. The front sight is tilted and needs fixed.

Ain't nobody around here gonna get near it.

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Well Joe I wish you were, I couldn't think of a better way spending an afternoon and a BBQ
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If'n you need a project, I got a SS Ruger Super Blackhawk that need "cleanin' up" :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...