Ot - Coonan Arms .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Ot - Coonan Arms .357

Post by rjohns94 »

anyone have one of these? any comments about them, any problems? good things? let me know. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ot - Coonan Arms .357

Post by GonnePhishin »

Unfortunately, I do not have one, but if you go to their web site www.coonaninc.com, they mention coming out with a new version later this year.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No idea on the Coonan but I've been following a thread on another board where a guy has picked up a couple of LAR Grizzlys along with the conversion kits.

They came in .45 WinMag and had conversions for .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 10mm and 357/45 WinMag which was a .45 WinMag necked down to .357 IIRC.

They could be had in 6.5 and 10" barrels and I think he's finding all the conversions for each caliber and barrel length.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

I've never read anything bad about them excupt being unobtanium & the price of mags.
Supposedly super accurate , if a bit cumbersome for daily carry. (even the "cadet".. )

I'd like to have one of each...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If you want .357Mag performance from an autoloader, then consider a Sig, Glock, Springfield, etc. in .357Sig - much, much, much more reasonably priced and mags are available. IMHO
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:If you want .357Mag performance from an autoloader, then consider a Sig, Glock, Springfield, etc. in .357Sig - much, much, much more reasonably priced and mags are available. IMHO
Here's the one I'd get if I wanted a really powerful semiauto (smaller than a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, that is...)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/38878 or
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/74824_ ... .aspx?SR=1

Or a 10mm of revolver or semiauto persuasion... click this link and you'll see a pretty good selection:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... st%5B0%5D=

Here's some 10mm ballistics:

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn= ... &catid=140

"Some 10mm Auto specifications approach high-power rifle loads, such as a mean working pressure of 37,000 psi and a maximum pressure of 44,000 psi. Producing substantially more muzzle energy than a .357 Magnum, it is double that of the .45 ACP."

Realistically, the 10mm offers a bit less energy than the .357 Mag, but more than the .357 Sig, in a gun costing from $400 to $1,200, that is reasonably similar in size to a 1911 or a .357 Mag. revolver. Of course, if you don't mind a really BIG gun, the .44 Mag Desert Eagle is an option...

Here's comparative ballistics:

http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it= ... %7c67%7c43

The Desert Eagle is big enough you may as well carry a carbine...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/49294
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

The 'point' to a Coonan, IMO is when you are on the 'less is more' cartridge diet.

A revolver, carbines & carriable semiauto all in the same cartridge is a worthy goal.

If that cart is as effective as the .357 (as opposed to all 3 in 9mm for instance ) so much the better.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you are so right. I'm thinking since I have committed to .357 as my primary cartridge, and I have a NKJ '92 lever in stainless, a j-frame in stainless in .357, I was thinking of a semi. The options in .357 are LAR, Desert Eagle and the Coonan. I don't want Desert Eagle big. That leaves just two choices. The LAR I know about it. The Coonan I don't. I have leads on both.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I understand the LAR .357s have ejection issues but the poster did not elaborate. I don't know if it is just his conversion or if it is endemic to the platform.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

My only information on the Coonan was from what I have read on it. I know they were Stainless and they also made a true left handed version. At the time they came out they had a lot of problems. Stainless was just getting started in handguns and a lot of the problems were from metal to metal gaulling. Some fixes were chrome plating and such to get two dissimilar metals. It seemed to work. I don't know about the mags they would be expensive I am sure. Also I don't know what range of bullet weights you can choose from. Hope it works out for you. Good Luck.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:you are so right. I'm thinking since I have committed to .357 as my primary cartridge, and I have a NKJ '92 lever in stainless, a j-frame in stainless in .357, I was thinking of a semi. The options in .357 are LAR, Desert Eagle and the Coonan. I don't want Desert Eagle big. That leaves just two choices. The LAR I know about it. The Coonan I don't. I have leads on both.
Now you go and get all LOGICAL on me - just when I was about to get you to buy a 10mm... :roll:

It does make sense to 'simplify' and once you find a cartridge that will do 90% of what you need, get your 'battery' set up around that cartridge. For the money, though - would you be better off having two or three more revolvers than a semi-auto?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Could be a better choice but I am still investigating this possibility.
Mike Johnson,

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hey Mike:

I had one many moons ago. I had it for about a year altogether. At the time, I think it was the most expensive gun I have even purchased, $700-$800 range I think. It was a nice gun but for me it was heavy to carry and it was never 100% reliable to the point that I trusted it. I took it to a place called Gemini Arms and the gunsmith tuned it up some. He didn't charge me because he said it worked with 20 rds he fired but he didn't know if it was completely "fixed". It jammed up again a few times here and there and I got rid of it. It was a very nice, well made gun but didn't suit me at the time. I didn't try real hard to get improve the reliability, only that one attempt. After it was gone, I was told I should have "broke it in" with more rounds. I fired a total of around 250. Good luck in your pursuit to find a shooter.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote:Now you go and get all LOGICAL on me - just when I was about to get you to buy a 10mm... :roll:
Get the 10mm anyway... :wink:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I must be a traditionalist. How about a pre-war commercial Colt in 38 Super instead?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

ive owned several 10mms. nice weapons. Glock 20 with 15 rounds. AWESOME. If I could use a semi in Pa, I would have one to deer hunt from a tree strand. I use to use one in Va. If I remember correctly, Ted Nuggent uses one for deer hunting too. I've had an omega and two glock 20's. Weening myself of different cartridges. .22, .357, .44, 45-70, .475.. Thats it. No new cartridges allowed. I am pondering this semi but I will have to trade into it as work situation has become precarious and my spending has grinded to a stop.
Mike Johnson,

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

This doesn't answer your question, Mike, but what happened to your Schofield? I've been waiting for you to write it up. I don't see it in your keepers.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ah, sorry for the lack of write up. I was not pleased with the pistol at all. It was very disappointing. First, the grips did not fit me. Options to fix that were very limited. Too short and I just could not get a great sight alignment without readjusting the grip. The hammer spring seemed really weak. If you touched the hammer on its way forward, the hammer would actually stop and not fall all the way. I didn't want to futz with it so I sold it off pretty quickly. It shot fine, but it just didn't suit me. got the .44 instead. As for calibers, I got rid of the .308, the .45 acp, .45 schofield, and .223. Picked up .44 and .475.
Mike Johnson,

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's to bad. I was really looking forward to the Schofield's performance.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

It shot well, the fixed sights were on with black hill ammo at 25 yards. I kept about 4 inch groups at 25 yards off hand. About 2 inch groups at 15. It was not a fast gun to shoot, I do alot better with any other hand gun I have had. It just didn't fit my hands right. Had I been able to try one in my hand without buying it, I would not have bought it. I had heard the grips were a lot like Colt SAA. NOT!!! I much prefer the Colts. Beautiful handgun, just not my cup of tea.
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

UncleBuck wrote:Unfortunately, I do not have one, but if you go to their web site http://www.coonaninc.com, they mention coming out with a new version later this year.
That makes me both happy and sad.

Happy, because I think it's a neat idea.

Sad, because I'm not likely going to be able to buy one...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:It shot well, the fixed sights were on with black hill ammo at 25 yards. I kept about 4 inch groups at 25 yards off hand. About 2 inch groups at 15. It was not a fast gun to shoot, I do alot better with any other hand gun I have had. It just didn't fit my hands right. Had I been able to try one in my hand without buying it, I would not have bought it. I had heard the grips were a lot like Colt SAA. NOT!!! I much prefer the Colts. Beautiful handgun, just not my cup of tea.

I had one too and quickly parted with it. I couldn't make mine shoot worth beans. I was really dissapointed it was a beautiful pistol.

The 'smith that has done all the work on my 1911s and S&Ws has a Coonan pictured on his website. http://www.sdmfabricating.com if you shoot him an email about it
I'm sure he'll tell you all about them. One thing about Scott, he's an opinionated *** but he knows his stuff. Especially the 1911.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i sent an email to him and asked for his opinions :shock: . will see what he has to say.
Mike Johnson,

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:he's an opinionated *** but he knows his stuff.
HEY! I resemble that! Except for the knowing his stuff part... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:lol: :lol: me too I recken
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

SDM wrote me back and here is what he had to say:

Hi Mike

The model “B” is the one to get. The “A” models had some issues.

I would choose the Coonan over the Grizzly. But I would bet they are harder to find.

They are built well and are a sound platform. Below is a list of things that could be a problem.

Very smooth- smooth grips, front strap and mainspring housing.

No aftermarket grips available.

Mainspring housing is proprietary.

Trigger is proprietary.

Factory sights are less than adequate. But are usable.

Throws empty brass about 30 feet. ( you won’t find much of it. )

They have a large grip. If you don’t have large hands they are a bit big.

My favorite .357 load uses WW296 powder. In the Coonan it produces a muzzle flash about 3 feet in diameter and 8 feet long. ( not so good for low light shooting )

I love my Coonan. I have left it bone stock. I don’t shoot it a lot but do have fun with it when I do.

I am not sure I would be comfortable with it as my primary auto.

I have never had any reliability issues with mine.

I hope some of this info has been helpful.
Mike Johnson,

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:My favorite .357 load uses WW296 powder. In the Coonan it produces a muzzle flash about 3 feet in diameter and 8 feet long. ( not so good for low light shooting )
OK, now I want one! :lol:

I wonder if I could get a load to do that in a BH or Marlin... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:My favorite .357 load uses WW296 powder. In the Coonan it produces a muzzle flash about 3 feet in diameter and 8 feet long. ( not so good for low light shooting )
OK, now I want one! :lol:

I wonder if I could get a load to do that in a BH or Marlin... :mrgreen:

Me too!

I'm glad Scott wrote you so quickly. He can be a little cranky now and then.
Always fhought they were neat pistols.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

AJMD429 wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:If you want .357Mag performance from an autoloader, then consider a Sig, Glock, Springfield, etc. in .357Sig - much, much, much more reasonably priced and mags are available. IMHO
Here's the one I'd get if I wanted a really powerful semiauto (smaller than a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, that is...)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/38878 or
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/74824_ ... .aspx?SR=1

Or a 10mm of revolver or semiauto persuasion... click this link and you'll see a pretty good selection:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... st%5B0%5D=

Here's some 10mm ballistics:

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn= ... &catid=140

"Some 10mm Auto specifications approach high-power rifle loads, such as a mean working pressure of 37,000 psi and a maximum pressure of 44,000 psi. Producing substantially more muzzle energy than a .357 Magnum, it is double that of the .45 ACP."

Realistically, the 10mm offers a bit less energy than the .357 Mag, but more than the .357 Sig, in a gun costing from $400 to $1,200, that is reasonably similar in size to a 1911 or a .357 Mag. revolver. Of course, if you don't mind a really BIG gun, the .44 Mag Desert Eagle is an option...

Here's comparative ballistics:

http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it= ... %7c67%7c43

The Desert Eagle is big enough you may as well carry a carbine...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/49294
10mm is the same energy with a larger diameter but lower SD bullet.

Here's mine:

G20 SF - and now sports a StormL Lake stainless barrel so that I can shoot hard cast bullets.

But I see that Mike is wanting a .357 Mag auto to go with his other .357 Mag guns... I have no personal experience with that and all that I can add is that it's hard to find a "normal" sized autoloader in .357 mag that will feed reliably - from what I've read repeatedly in many posts about this.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

I know you don't want to add new cartridges back into the fold, and certainly understand your desire for a semi-automatic .357 Magnum. Of the three you mention, the only one I have shot is the Desert Eagle, and I would definitely not recommend it. Good luck in your search!

You didn't mention a blackpowder longarm (or sidearm) or a shotgun in your "keepers". Are you keeping any in your collection?
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Kid,

Not recommending the Desert eagle- is it because of reliability issues?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

UncleBuck wrote:Kid,

Not recommending the Desert eagle- is it because of reliability issues?
I have had an opportunity to shoot three examples - the .357 Mag, the .44 Magnum, and a .50 AE. The last one I only shot once, as a fellow at the range had one going and offered me a shot (who was I to turn that down? :D ), but I heard him having reliability issues and cussing the gun. This matched my experience with others I have shot - big gun, fun gun, accurate enough, but prone to jamming. I'm not saying my experiences are reflective of the entire line, just that this has been my experience with them.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

YK,

The blackpowder rifles and the shotguns are still in the fold. My .54 flintlock and my .75 Brown Bess (ala Cable) don't really count in the caliber consideration since they reguire no reloading considerations like the other cartridge calibers. I obviously don't reload .22lr but I have lots of ammo there. The .38/.357 gets most of my reloading considerations in my Dillon press. The .44sp/.44mag is fed by my lee hand loader (or my brothers generous gifts) and I really don't shoot it much, as its a "situation" revolver. The .45-70 is served through my remaining boxes of factory ammo and a single station press. The .475 Linebaugh is right now served by the same press. 12 gauge is served by the crates of ammo I have there, I also have a Mec press for it. The BP rifles are served by casting 100 round balls each season, which I have already done for this year. With as much as I shoot and my current inventory, the .38/.357 is the one I am set up to crank out, and have the stock of material, (powder, brass,primers and bullets) for. The .475, as i shoot it more and more, will be set up to load. I have several thousand bullets ready for it along with primers and powder.
Mike Johnson,

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

YKid,

I thought so, since I have heard the same thing from some other folks.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

And running cast in a DE is a good way to end up with one heck of a paperweight. It seems the lead clogs the gas system... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:YK,

The blackpowder rifles and the shotguns are still in the fold. My .54 flintlock and my .75 Brown Bess (ala Cable) don't really count in the caliber consideration since they reguire no reloading considerations like the other cartridge calibers. I obviously don't reload .22lr but I have lots of ammo there. The .38/.357 gets most of my reloading considerations in my Dillon press. The .44sp/.44mag is fed by my lee hand loader (or my brothers generous gifts) and I really don't shoot it much, as its a "situation" revolver. The .45-70 is served through my remaining boxes of factory ammo and a single station press. The .475 Linebaugh is right now served by the same press. 12 gauge is served by the crates of ammo I have there, I also have a Mec press for it. The BP rifles are served by casting 100 round balls each season, which I have already done for this year. With as much as I shoot and my current inventory, the .38/.357 is the one I am set up to crank out, and have the stock of material, (powder, brass,primers and bullets) for. The .475, as i shoot it more and more, will be set up to load. I have several thousand bullets ready for it along with primers and powder.
Whew - I was afraid you had decided to part with them! :shock:
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

I have both Model A and Model B Coonans.

The earlier Model A has a link barrel like a 1911. It also does not have a beavertail and the hammer can really bite with a high grip.

The Model B has a linkless barrel design and also has a beavertail grip...much more comfortable to shoot for me.

Most issues with reliability have to do with not using lithium grease on the slides and not using the proper ammo. Mine love the factory 158 grain stuff. I have had zero reliability issues with any of mine.

If you are considering a purchase, look for one that is original and has the Minneapolis, Mn mark on it. The ones marked with Maplewood Mn are made after the company was sold, and there were issues with those models.

Here's a link to a very informative forum on Coonans: http://members.boardhost.com/dajowi/
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I have a Model B bought in 1992 after an earlier one was stolen by a friend of my oldest girl. Insurance payed off and I turned right around and bought another. I have 3 mags for it. I see mags on G'broker going for a hundred plus.

This is a fun pistol to shoot but like someone said finding the brass can be a chore.

It does prefer full bore loads I've found. I'm currently using 2400 for loads. I'll have to try w296.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.