OT - this is one long horse ride.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

OT - this is one long horse ride.

Post by BenT »

Check out the map on how far this guy is planning on riding his horse. Local paper just had a write up on him as he passed through . He has emphysema and traveling America on most of the routes he drove while truck driving. http://www.liferide-wayne.com/
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - this is one long horse ride.

Post by DBW »

Interesting. I'm surprised that he isn't planning on going through Oklahoma City where Feed the Children is headquartered. They are a good charity and even have a Canadian division based in Guelph, Ontario where they provide items to First Nation folks.

I've got slightly less than a million miles under my belt. Doubtful that I'll ever mount a broomtail and ride around seeing the country at a slower pace.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have always dreamed about doing that very same thing...
In my younger years I had planned to join a group
that rode their horses from Dallas to Miles City
Montana..
I would jump at that chance now...
I hope he does it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I remember a feller tryin' this about 15 years ago or so. He got about halfway through the country and was arrested around Houston, I think, for cruelty to animals. He was just bar-ditch grass feeding his mount and stayed on the move too much for the horse to keep up nutritionally.

There's more to it than just puttin' on the saddle and hittin' the trail. In the old days, you could count on facilities and feed everywhere. Not now, though. Travel was slow not just because of the speed of a horse. It took a lot of time to allow for resting the animal.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

20cows wrote:
There's more to it than just puttin' on the saddle and hittin' the trail. In the old days, you could count on facilities and feed everywhere. Not now, though. Travel was slow not just because of the speed of a horse. It took a lot of time to allow for resting the animal.
You've got that right. That's also why a lot of the old timers who used horses for farming took a couple hour break every afternoon. It wasn't that the men were tired, it was that the horses needed a rest.