OT: Memories from the past ............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Memories from the past ............

Post by J Miller »

..... FIZZIES.
Fizzies.JPG
When I was a kid in Farmington, NM we had what was called FIZZIES. A strip of 8 flavored tablets that you dropped in water. They'd fizz up and in no time you'd have a nice tasty flavored drink. I loved 'em.
Then in the early 60s we moved to Phoenix, AZ and there were no more FIZZIES. I've missed them since. Just one of those child hood things I guess.

Today my wife came home from work and handed me the box and I just stood there. My brain took a big step back in time and for a moment all I could do is just look at it. She said the store she works for has them. Several flavors. Gonna try 'em all.

So I pealed two of the tablets out of the foil wraps and made me a glass of FIZZIES. The first in 45 years.

Taste pretty good. Kinda mild, but not bad.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Memories from the past ............

Post by GonnePhishin »

Holy Moses, haven't seem 'em in years :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not sure I've seen those before. We had straws that were filled with drink mix, but I can't remember if they fizzed or not......Mom didnt' go in for that sort of foolishment (her words, not mine...I think kids deserve all the grease and sugar their little tummies and system can burn off :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Congrats Joe..Fizzies and Pre Sweetened Goofy Grape Kool Aid got gallons & gallons of Army treated water we got over in Nam down the gullet...It's cool when you find something that takes you back to kidhood.. Taking a drink off of my war surplus canteen I had in Boy Scouts takes me there every time.. I discovered this about ten years ago.. makes me grin just thinking about it.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I do miss Old Bob Millers Sasparilla. That was a local Arizona drink and must have drank a swimming pool full as a kid.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Did anyone drink Bireley's bottled chocolate drink way back when?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Nestle's powder?
put it in milk, made chocalate milk.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

What's worse than a fire in a match company?
A flood in a Fizzie factory!

Hey, that used to be high comedy back in 1957. Wow, Joe, like everybody else, haven't though about Fizzies in years and am surprised that they still make them. Great entertainment used to be one of the guys putting a tablet in his mouth, taking a slug of water from the drinking fountain, and seeing how long you could hold the thing in your mouth before spitting it out. Drove the nuns crazy... :)
Tom

(If you can't make it out, John Payne is saying: "Howdy Partner, ride with me every Monday nite on "The Restless Gun" (TV series 1957-58)
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Back in the '50s there was also a soft drink mix called "Sonny Boy". NASTY! :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

J Miller;the ones your wife gave you,are they recent made and if so where did she get them???That brings back some real memories!!Thanks !
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

milton wrote:J Miller;the ones your wife gave you,are they recent made and if so where did she get them???That brings back some real memories!!Thanks !
Yep, current manufacture, use by date of 1/10. The company she works for here in central IL sells them.
There is a web site on the box too.
www.fizzies.com

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

'It's a Happy Fizzies Party!'
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I didn't think they were still made! Root beer was my favorite.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hobie wrote:... Root beer was my favorite.
+1 !
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I hate to admit it, but I remember those. Haven't seen any in years.
Old Law Dawg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

+2 Root-beer!

Do you guys remember "shake a pudding"
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I will have to look out for them,they may have made it down here to Alabama !! :D
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Wowsers Joe that IS a trip down memory lane. You did, of course, simply pop the little tab in your mouth and try to contain the giggles, right?

Turns out we both lived in Phx at the same time. Those were the days, eh? The population was what, a half million or something? You could spend a whole day climbing around Papago Park and never see anyone else. You could go ANYWHERE north of Camelback and SHOOT YOUR GUNS. Sheesh, you could buy your guns thru the mail with your paper route money, strap it on and bicycle to the northside and shoot til you ran out of ammo.

WHERE DID THAT America GO?????
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Grizz wrote:Wowsers Joe that IS a trip down memory lane. You did, of course, simply pop the little tab in your mouth and try to contain the giggles, right?

Turns out we both lived in Phx at the same time. Those were the days, eh? The population was what, a half million or something? You could spend a whole day climbing around Papago Park and never see anyone else. You could go ANYWHERE north of Camelback and SHOOT YOUR GUNS. Sheesh, you could buy your guns thru the mail with your paper route money, strap it on and bicycle to the northside and shoot til you ran out of ammo.

WHERE DID THAT America GO?????
No Grizz, I just dropped two in a glass of cold water and sat there watching 'em fizz.
Lots of memories.

As for THAT America, we woke up one morning and someone had taken it away from us.
I wonder just how many of the people that are in the south west were born in the US or just wondered in and stayed?

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was just perusing the FIZZIES web site and found this:

Schedule of events

• Fizzies will be bursting on the scene at the
• All Candy Expo in Chicago at the McCormick Place May 19 – 21, 2009.

If you're a retailer interested in scheduling an appointment during the show,
call us at 1.877.FIZZIES (1.877.349.9437).

Or send an e-mail to info@fizzies.com.
I'm not sure they are even supposed to be out yet. Their web site is new and if they are out it hasn't been for long.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well Joe, looks like Fizzies inc is going to have to move your wife into the Marketing dept.

Head of Old Geezer Cowboy Sales...

Maybe make a good commission too... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:Well Joe, looks like Fizzies inc is going to have to move your wife into the Marketing dept.

Head of Old Geezer Cowboy Sales...

Maybe make a good commission too... :wink:
Well, IF they have root beer they'll have some sales. I want to share with my kids and grandkids.

My mom was, well, cheap. But she would get these thing in lieu of soda pop. Having one on the front porch in the middle of a hard summer rain was da bomb! Well, relatively speaking... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:Well, IF they have root beer they'll have some sales. I want to share with my kids and grandkids.

My mom was, well, cheap. But she would get these thing in lieu of soda pop. Having one on the front porch in the middle of a hard summer rain was da bomb! Well, relatively speaking... :lol:
They do. Look at the website. 7 flavors in all, rootbeer is one.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

For the New Englanders here... Moxie, anyone? (Blecch!)

And for the Metro Ny (particularly New Jersey) people, anyone for Hoffman sodas?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Ben_Rumson wrote:...Pre Sweetened Goofy Grape Kool Aid...
Goofy Grape wasn't Kool-Aid, it was a competitor. The first pre-sweetened mix. There were several flavors, like Injun Orange, which was quickly changed to Ollie Orange (I think). I can't remember the other flavors now...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wifie just brought home another box of Rootbeer and a box each of:
Cherry
Fruit Punch
Blue Razz

Ooooo Oooo gotta try 'em.

Joe
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Ben_Rumson wrote:
...Pre Sweetened Goofy Grape Kool Aid...

Goofy Grape wasn't Kool-Aid, it was a competitor. The first pre-sweetened mix. There were several flavors, like Injun Orange, which was quickly changed to Ollie Orange (I think). I can't remember the other flavors now...

Interesting!
WIL TERRY