OT -- Board statistics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

OT -- Board statistics

Post by alnitak »

Just for fun, I was taking a look at the threads on the forum. I noticed that while many threads have a great deal of "views" the actual post number is low. Just looking at the numbers for the first two pages of the General Discussion, the number of posts were only about 3% of the views. Without reading too much into the numbers, it still struck me as a low number (especially considering that a lot of the posts represented multiple posts by the same person). Digging further, I found that the top 20 active members on the forum (of course, YK is leading in that department, even ahead of our moderators), contibute 31.2% of the posts, averaging 99.88 posts per day over their membership on this forum (even with Griff not having a post since 3/31).

So what do I take away from this? Not sure. I noticed that I sit at #79 on the list, with just under one post per day. I know I spend a bit of time virtually each day on the forum, certainly in excess of what the one post/day would indicate. So what does that mean for the profile of the "normal" forum member? Are a lot of us "lurkers", reading post for information but not responding? How many of the posts are of the "+1" variety, which may skew the statistics? Do a lot of us defer to the "experts", either waiting for them to respond or unwilling to add to/expand on on their posts? Are we lured by the title of the posts, but then find the content not what we expected and so choose not to respond? Do OT topics (like humor) require less response than meaty, levergun-related posts? Is the core "family" of board (that keeps it active and vital) smaller than it seems?

I'd be curious to see if Hobie has more data on the forum. Things like: # of members over time; OT posts vs. other, and the activity of each; are the number of posts going up, down or remaining the same over time; does the profile of posting change, e.g., by season (e.g., Spring and Fall), political atmosphere (e.g., elections), membership (e.g., do new members post a lot at first, then slow down, or the other way around; do senior member fall off or leave the forum); etc.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter, but as an analyst by background, I'm curious. Is anyone else here curious as well?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Re: OT -- Board statistics

Post by Hobie »

I've got to admit that when I have time :wink: I've dabbled in such statistical analysis of the board. As I write this there are 9 guests viewing the board but only 3 other than myself signed in. I believe those count for views. We then have many, many people with zero posts, even after many years (including in the old software).

Some interesting data you don't see.

Number of posts: 195956
Posts per day: 254.80
Number of topics: 13811
Topics per day: 17.96
Number of users: 2941
Users per day: 3.82

1155 users/members have never posted. That's 39%!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I like the humerous interaction with other forum members probably the most.
I like to read the informative things, I learn a lot here.
If I don't know anything about a topic, I stay away from it. Why speak when you have nothing useful to contribute?
I don't like to see things moved to the politics section, but do understand that things sometimes move away from original intent and drift off onto tangents.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Being somewhat of a numbers guy I have noticed that this board is a lot more post rich on a subject than a number of other boards (Shiloh come to mind) and the members here are more familyish and consistent, I think anyone is welcome to join the fray. I wonder why more don't. Occasionally some one or ones try to plow against the grain but it doesn't last to long overall. People's situations change and some good ones have left. I think Cowboytutt (who hasn't left) may be on he Harley Board :D . Many friends have been made. I have been invited to shoot and hunt in two other countries and a couple of states and it seems all who have met other members have enjoyed it the experience. Then members return. We would all like to see more of Ganjiro and always enjoy the boys from England and Australia. I am one here three time a day in addition to email, stocks, facebook and a professional site and MSN oh and tooo much computer solitaire - winning a game in 37 seconds is the record. I rotate so it is easy to keep up with a couple of ongoing discussions. It will go on.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero - you old dog you :D , just hit active topics and it is like it is one board with politics included.

By the way, tomorrow is Heather's birthday and I am giving her that mining tour you agreed to.

hope it is OK if she brings her sister :D By the way - what is the name of the mine.

Last edited by Old Savage on Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The Idaho
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yes, I was kind of curious.
Interesting numbers guys, I really like this Forum
There is a great balance of good information/interesting topics/
good humor/ and overall seems like good people on here.
Also I think the moderators really do a fantastic job buy giving
the freedom to allow the persons posting to express themselves.
I feel myself to be lucky and privileged to be associated with
this site. Its the Best.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote:I've got to admit that when I have time :wink: I've dabbled in such statistical analysis of the board. As I write this there are 9 guests viewing the board but only 3 other than myself signed in. I believe those count for views. We then have many, many people with zero posts, even after many years (including in the old software).

Some interesting data you don't see.

Number of posts: 195956
Posts per day: 254.80
Number of topics: 13811
Topics per day: 17.96
Number of users: 2941
Users per day: 3.82

1155 users/members have never posted. That's 39%!
Interesting data, Hobie. The 250+ posts per day sounds about right (though I would have guessed a little less). But, that means that the top 20, at 100 posts per day, actually are doing almost half of the posts (assuming those numbers are correct).

What does the users per day mean? Is that new users? Most times I'm on, it seems like there's 5-8 users on, plus a guest or two, so that number seems low. Also, does that Yahoo bot count as a "user"?

Any statistics on searches? I'd be curious to know if the board is being mined for its data, or more for the interaction.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Mescalaro and Old Savage...I couldn't agree with you more. Mesc -- I'm like you...I find I learn a lot more than I can contribute. And OS -- the family feel of this board really appeals to me. I've been on a number fo others, but none can compare to this one. I guess it's natural that people come and go...but sure would like to see more of the old faces back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero - now am I right, it is in New Mexico.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

No, my commercial and residential is in N.M.
The gold bearing land is in Arizona.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Holy Cow Old Savage, They are some fine looking women!!! :o
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero - we will probably need a map! :?:

madman, during anatomy lectures Dr. Douglas "pig heart" Baker would intersperse a slide of a lovely young woman periodically to regain the interest of the class. In memory of old "pig heart", a fine Australian fellow, I have sought to continue the tradition - some, I believe, have appreciated the inclusions. :P

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Oh yes OS it is appreciated :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh Ya!!!
Appreciated Dearly !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Mescalero - we will probably need a map! :?:

madman, during anatomy lectures Dr. Douglas "pig heart" Baker would intersperse a slide of a lovely young woman periodically to regain the interest of the class. In memory of old "pig heart", a fine Australian fellow, I have sought to continue the tradition - some, I believe, have appreciated the inclusions. :P
A wonderful tribute to an erstwhile teacher.....May I contribute, as well, please?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOTCHA
Last edited by Blaine on Thu May 07, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Blaine
That just ain't right. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Blaine,
GO to your room.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Old Savage,
Being computer challenged how do you suggest we do this.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well there's the pig but ... Blaine, I think you are going to need some coaching here. Fellas?????

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Man, don't that make the boys wither in fear?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am looking up the nearest monestary right now, think that would offer any protection?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ok, Ok.....I repent...... This dates me, but here is my all time favorite pin up

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote:Ok, Ok.....I repent...... This dates me, but here is my all time favorite pin up

Nothing wrong there... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Yes, I was kind of curious.
Interesting numbers guys, I really like this Forum
There is a great balance of good information/interesting topics/
good humor/ and overall seems like good people on here.
Also I think the moderators really do a fantastic job buy giving
the freedom to allow the persons posting to express themselves.
I feel myself to be lucky and privileged to be associated with
this site. Its the Best.
+1
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I like all you guys.

Blaine, I bet you were a handful as a young'un. We can hardly keep you in check here.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: madman, during anatomy lectures Dr. Douglas "pig heart" Baker would intersperse a slide of a lovely young woman periodically to regain the interest of the class. :P
Our professors used to do that, and back then (1980's) the females in class appreciated the humor of it, and would only gripe that they wanted an occasional 'hunk' in the slide set, which most professors willingly obliged to.

Now I'm sure they don't do anything of the sort for fear of 'sexual harassment' lawsuit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero - I'm thinking the Mine and Wine Tour - could the girls actually do some mining, you know, picks, shovels, maybe some blasting?

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

NO Blasting, the township already wants me dead!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maybe popping a Korbel Extra Dry Champagne cork! :D And the mining????

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah, go ahead, keep what you find, if you get lucky send me one of the nuggets
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Let me know when you are going to be there, I'll meet you there, maybe we will throw the dredge in.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hey guys, you did a great job in stealing the thread; Seems you could have done most of this talking via PM instead of hijaking the thread. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Blaine
That just ain't right. :lol:
My eyes! My eyes! :shock: :shock: :shock:

+1 JR - that is just plain cruel. I'm pretty sure BoBo just banned showing that oinkers picture - it is certainly torture!!! :lol:

Okay, everyone here knows I praddle on endlessly, thus the high count. Some folks don't realize that compared to a lot of the members, I am still a relative new-comer. I'm a piker compared to the post counts of a lot of the forums experienced guys. This forum is simply the best - welcoming anyone who wants to share some levergun stories, ask questions, answer others, chat a bit, tell a joke, share a life experience or ask for a prayer. I usually try to log in briefly each morning before work, and sometimes get lucky and can hit the forum once or twice during the day - but not often. My "quality time" is late in the evening, after the family has gone to bed and I've finally had all I can take of the job. By that point, you guys and gals are a much needed relief, and I appreciate you letting me yap about guns and other things at length. Looking at my stat's, it says I am responsible for 4.22% of all posts, and post an average of 13.84 posts per day! I guess maybe I'm pushing my luck a bit!!! :shock:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OOps, sorry
did not realize it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The stats ran out a loonnngggg time ago.

Not including this one, 11.7647058823529411176470588235294% of the posts on this thread involved statistics. :D :P :lol:

And, we did some of the talking by PM - and I will not reveal where the gold is. :lol:

But, the gals and I now have mining rights at an undisclosed location. Now they need some mining outfits. I get back on that. :wink: