Range Report- Rossi/Taurus 92, .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Range Report- Rossi/Taurus 92, .357

Post by 66GTO »

As I had posted in another Rossi 92 thread, I received the new Taurus made Rossi 92, 16" (.357) yesterday. I took it to the range today and was very pleased with the results. The carbine cycled both .38's and .357's flawlessly, factory as well as hand loads.

Although the factory sights are not much to look at, they worked well after some adjustment for windage. I shot freehand and from the bench using a front rest only. Even with my old eyes (floaters, detached retinas, near sighted and far sighted :cry: ) I was able to get 2" groups at 50 yds. from the bench. I need to work on my free hand shooting, but the 92 proved it was accurate from the bench. A tang peep sight is in the future, but for what I intend to use the rifle for, the factory sights are OK.

I love the way the 92 handles and the 16" version weighs less than 5 lbs. A "handy rifle" indeed! And it is easy on my old shoulder with either .357 or .38 rounds.

Call me a happy camper :D
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report- Rossi/Taurus 92, .357

Post by TedH »

Where's the pics????
NRA Life Member
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

TedH wrote:Where's the pics????
I'll try to get some up tomorrow. I had to pick up my son from school right after I returned from the range and he has baseball practice tonight. I barely had time to post before I left to pick him up. I have to clean it before I post pics.

I described it in the other thread here: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=16853
The stock is the typical South American mystery hardwood in a walnut type stain and fits pretty good. The forend is a little proud on one side where it mates to the receiver, although on further examination it appears the receiver is machined with a little sharper radius on that side causing the proud wood. The blueing is very dark and glossy. The hammer is a little gritty right now, but it should smooth out with use like my last Rossi did. The tang is marked "Braztech Int. LLC, Miami, Fl-USA". The barrel is marked "Rossi Model 92". Underneath the lever, "MADE IN BRAZIL-BY TAURUS". Price from Bud's (shipped) was $492. Seventy dollars more than the shipped price for the 20" Puma 92 stainless in .44 Rem. Mag. I bought two years ago from Bud's.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

thank you for the report. i'm still in the market for the gun you have. hard to come by at a reasonable price.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

tman wrote:thank you for the report. i'm still in the market for the gun you have. hard to come by at a reasonable price.
Yes, I wish I had bought one a couple of years ago before they went up to $500.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds great - looking forwward to the pictures! :D
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Pics:

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nice looking rifle!
Margrnt
Levergunner

Post by Margrnt »

Who imports these guns now? Legacy International dosen't handle them anymore and they are not on the Rossi web site.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sounds like things worked out good...I think I got the same issue eyes as you're running..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Margrnt wrote:Who imports these guns now? Legacy International dosen't handle them anymore and they are not on the Rossi web site.
Taurus. I bought mine at Bud's.

Hipshot
Levergunner

Post by Hipshot »

Anybody know if the rear sight dovetail slot on a Rossi M92 is the same size as a Win. 94? I would like to put the M94 rear sight on the Rossi.

Hipshot
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Beautiful!!!!!!!!....................... Mutt
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome. congrats - you are gonna love that rifle
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

The dove tail slot is not the same size as a Winchester's. It's been a while since I did my Puma, but as I recall, it's slot is bigger. I went with a Marble's tang sight and love it. That little Puma is one of my all time favorite rifle's.
Bob
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Margrnt wrote:Who imports these guns now? Legacy International dosen't handle them anymore and they are not on the Rossi web site.
...well, that'd be EMF:

http://www.emf-company.com/

...and, Rossi:

http://www.rossiusa.com/2009catalog/?catalog_page=5

http://www.rossiusa.com/2009catalog/?catalog_page=6

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hipshot
Levergunner

Post by Hipshot »

THANX BOB !!!!

Hip