Mossberg 464 -- she's broken again.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Mossberg 464 -- she's broken again.

Post by handyrandyrc »

Update, I have about 440 rounds through it now. I was shooting on Friday evening, and realized my handguard started to slip and came loose. I took a look, and the screw had snapped off the front handguard band. Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Is this the same screw you broke, OJ?

Bugger was broken and still stuck through the barrel slot, so I couldn't slide the ring off. I tried to slot the tip of the screw and got it to move, but the material was so soft, it would break off. I got an 1/8" exposed, and grabbed with needle-nosed pliers to keep twisting it, and it would simply break the piece off I had exposed.

I finally had to break out the Dremel and cut the frond handguard ring clean off. Mossberg will be hearing from me in the morning.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 -- she's broken again.

Post by TedH »

That bites. :evil:
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH wrote:That bites. :evil:
+1

I couldn't warm up to the receiver hump at the back of the bolt. It killed the aesthetics for me, for sure.
Old Law Dawg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Between you and OJ, I've heard all I will ever need to hear about Mossberg products.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Between you and OJ, I've heard all I will ever need to hear about Mossberg products.
+1, At least the levers.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

28 minutes of hold time to even speak to a person, I can't sit around and wait that long. Sent an e-mail letting them know about the problem. We'll see if they can just send parts out from an e-mail.

Randy
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow... :( :( ..might be time to fix it up and trade for a beater 94 that you can shine up like new...it'll be better for ya in the long run, I'll bet....... I was really hoping the Mossy would be as good as their shotguns.....Maybe they will someday.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

BlaineG wrote:Wow... :( :( ..might be time to fix it up and trade for a beater 94 that you can shine up like new...it'll be better for ya in the long run, I'll bet....... I was really hoping the Mossy would be as good as their shotguns.....Maybe they will someday.
As I've said in past posts - I have a lever gun Mossberg 464 I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it away - much less selling or trading it to someone - because I wouldn't want the recipient to think about me every time he looked at that piece of junk and I know what he'd think of me. I do have that much personal pride in my reputation.

As for Mossberg somehow improving their levergun rifles - don't hold your breath. Too late I discovered Mossberg made at least six different models of lever guns in 30-30 and several in rimfire between 1970 and the mid 80s. My conclusion is, if they had been any good, they would have continued production and selling them. It appears to me they relied on guys like me who weren't aware of that history and took advantage of that -

There will never be another Mossberg of any type in my house, car, or my vocabulary - I'm convinced they have no conscience and just don't give a darn and will continue to take advantage of all of us they can.

:evil: :oops:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The best way to fix the problem is to throw it in the creek and buy a Malin or winny.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Mossbergs are pretty much junk, sometimes they will work pretty good for a while, (I am talking mainly about shotguns), and I have even seen some pretty good shooting done with them, but they are still junk and prone to breakage and jamming, espacally the 3.5 inch magnums.

I did look at one of the new mossy leveraction a while back, and frankly, I could see much to recommend it, espacally when there is still a sea of new and used Marlins and Winchesters out there, for basically the same money, or not that much more. Life is too short to hunt with junk.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

In the case of Mossberg you don`t get what you pay for.
Loads of good old Win. and Marlins out there for half the price and much better guns. :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote:Wow... :( :( ..might be time to fix it up and trade for a beater 94 that you can shine up like new...it'll be better for ya in the long run, I'll bet....... I was really hoping the Mossy would be as good as their shotguns.....Maybe they will someday.

+1 and then some.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It is a good looking gun, I was hoping to hold out for different chamberings.
The horizon appears bleak.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Well, like OJ, I'm stuck with mine, and although it's given me fits, I really do like the looks of it. Had a rear receiver peep sight made by Dr. Tim Skinner at skinnersights.com, he did it custom as the Mossberg has a different thread size than the Marlins. He it threaded it 6-48 without a fuss at all, and that little low-profile sight looks so perfect on there.

I will get pictures posted, and when I hear back from Mossberg, I'll let you know what they plan. I'm about ready to ask for a dozen parts, just to have on hand in case of breakage.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I feel like we should be granting a " learning curve " on these problems.
But I also feel like they should be bending over backwards to make customers like you " feel good " about thier purchases!
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

After no reply to my e-mail for over 24 hours, I dedided to brave the phone queue. Spent 45 MINUTES on the phone, and finally was able to get some parts shipped. It took 35 minutes to talk to a person, and then I spent 10 minutes on hold while she 'looked for the parts'. To their credit, they are mailing parts asap with no questions asked, no need to even provide a serial number.

Thanks Mossberg! Here's to hoping these parts work out better.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handyrandyrc wrote:After no reply to my e-mail for over 24 hours, I dedided to brave the phone queue. Spent 45 MINUTES on the phone, and finally was able to get some parts shipped. It took 35 minutes to talk to a person, and then I spent 10 minutes on hold while she 'looked for the parts'. To their credit, they are mailing parts asap with no questions asked, no need to even provide a serial number.

Thanks Mossberg! Here's to hoping these parts work out better.
Good luck - "ASAP" in my experience waiting for just the screw was about a month's wait - after I managed to convince them I had a screwdriver and could replace it myself and didn't need to return the rifle to the repair facility (which is far distant from the factory). :roll:

YMMV

:?:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

By the way, OJ, I got a Skinner Sight made up for this 464. It arrived yesterday -- thanks out to the good Dr. Tim who made it custom for me! Looks perfect there on the rear bridge, and I hopefully won't need to go to a taller front post. I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Randy
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Have fun polishing your turd.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1