357 Combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

357 Combo

Post by Old Savage »

My only real carbine/SA combo. YK - what say you?

Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 357 Combo

Post by Andrew »

Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. Very nice. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

very nice!!.

for me its the 1894 C and a security six.
pete
DAV life member.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Nice combo. :)
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice. I'm on the prowl for a 357 Blackhawk to go with my Rossi 92. My stainless Taurus just don't seem right with it. :wink:

Is that Ruger one of the 50th anniversary models?
NRA Life Member
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

O.S. that looks amazingly like my 357 combo. Great minds think alike! :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the way you think. Here is my .357 combo:

NKJ slicked up Rossi 92 rifle with recvr sight - Colt 3rd gen .357 w/ 4 5/8 barrel - Smith model 60-3PRO in S/S .357 with tritium front sight - and Smith model 36 Classic, case colored, 38 +P

Close ups of pistols, sorry for lousy pics:

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

All the pictures are very sweet
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

rjohns - you got me beat on authenticity - if indeed that can be had with the 357. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

no beating there, i really like your combo, I had just happened to take my .38/.357 family picture and saw your post and stuck it in there. The stainless 92 and the caliber kinda ruins any authenticity BUT what do I care, I know that any of those guns are going to do what i call them to do. I like your combo alot it was one of the ones that made me switch from .44 to .357.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well rj, as my sig says "on the cutting edge of going back in time" as suggested by KirkD when I used the phrase one time; I like the new improvements taken to the old designs. I imagine the guys that used them for real would have really appreciated the change. Yours is a prime example.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:My only real carbine/SA combo. YK - what say you?

I'd say a man with a .357 Magnum combo is a man well-armed!!! :D :mrgreen: 8)
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I say that's a pretty nice pair, right there. I'd be proud to own them.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OS, I like that combo a lot. Good one.

:roll:
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Since I don't own a 357, however the wife has two.

My medium caliber combo is my 1894FG and my Ruger Redhawk in 41 Mag.

My true Big Bore combo is my 1895SS, Thompson Contender Super 14 and Ruger #1 all in 45/70 Government. Image

I left out the "Trapdoor" and the H&R 1871 "Buffalo Classic" because I have never hunted with them.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My .357s

An older Interarms Rossi '92, a model 66 that was a police trade and an
old Heiser holster that I picked up at a show for $20 if I remember right.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Bear 45/70 wrote:My medium caliber combo is my 1894FG and my Ruger Redhawk in 41 Mag.
I'm :mrgreen: with envy! :D
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Hey Old Savage, I've got a similar combo and it serves me well. I use the same load in both guns, 158 grain Winchester JHP leaving the handgun muzzle around 1200 fps. It is a compromise load that offers decent terminal performance regardless of which gun I use - all I have to do is remember where to hit with what gun. I will eventually change this load to one using a 158 grain Gold Dot HP (I finally found a handgun that likes this bullet) and then drive everyone one them through the same spot.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I must apologize. I lied earlier, I do have a mouse gun combo that I have hunted with.

Ruger #3 and Contender in 22 Hornet. My short range varmit getters.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

So, its the 2nd time I have been corrected on the use of Pistol this week. Seems to be a touchy subject for many. I assume that to be correct on this forum, one must only use pistol for a semi-auto, and revolver stands alone? Looked up Pistol on dictionary.com and here is what I have found:

pis⋅tol   /ˈpɪstl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pis-tl] Show IPA noun, verb, -toled, -tol⋅ing or (especially British) -tolled, -tol⋅ling.
–noun 1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand.

no mention of semi or revolver. Its how I grew up, sorry to offend. I will be sure to curb my use of "Pistol" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote: no mention of semi or revolver. Its how I grew up, sorry to offend. I will be sure to curb my use of "Pistol" :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't, we'll PISTOL whip you...! :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have not posted a photo in a while, I'll try

Jerry's Marlin .357 and RNV .357's
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Now I'll try my old Interarms Rossi .357 and my S&W 65.

JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Easier to hit with this one at 100yds because it is easier to see what I want to hit.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rjohns94 wrote:So, its the 2nd time I have been corrected on the use of Pistol this week. Seems to be a touchy subject for many. I assume that to be correct on this forum, one must only use pistol for a semi-auto, and revolver stands alone? Looked up Pistol on dictionary.com and here is what I have found:

pis⋅tol   /ˈpɪstl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pis-tl] Show IPA noun, verb, -toled, -tol⋅ing or (especially British) -tolled, -tol⋅ling.

no mention of semi or revolver. Its how I grew up, sorry to offend. I will be sure to curb my use of "Pistol" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Naw.... I grew up with "sixguns" but that doesn't cover Blaine's eight shot airlight or Fred's 1911... I never had a semi-auto hand gun until recently, and now that we have a mix of carry guns I make the distinction to refine our internal communication...

not an issue with me, just a funny language drill. I like your wheelguns BTW.

Grizz
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Mine is a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with either a S&W Model 19 or my Security Six from Ruger.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:So, its the 2nd time I have been corrected on the use of Pistol this week. Seems to be a touchy subject for many. I assume that to be correct on this forum, one must only use pistol for a semi-auto, and revolver stands alone? Looked up Pistol on dictionary.com and here is what I have found:

Mike,

I've had this argument before on other forums. According to Meriam-Webster:

Main Entry: pis·tol
Pronunciation: \ˈpis-təl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French pistole, from German, from Middle High German pischulle, from Czech píšt'ala, literally, pipe, fife; akin to Czech pištět to squeak
Date: circa 1570
1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel ; broadly : handgun
2: a notably sharp, spirited, or energetic person

I used to think pistol was the generic term for handgun, with revolver and semi-auto being subclasses. However, a revolver doesn't have the chamber integral with the barrel. (Of course, in 1570 they didn't have semis, so I think pistol is still the correct generic term!)
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

OK...I'll play...

Older Marlin 1894C and Ruger Bisley Vaqueros. Unfortunately, I just sold the AAA Sambar stag grips I had on the other pistol ... wish I hadn't:

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Read the SAAMI definition - they are all pistols. Some are revolvers, some are semiautos and some are single shots or double shots.

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Very nice couples guys!
Mines a Ruger Bisley Vaquero, :wink:

Got a 94 44mag & matching redhawk too, but its not really a carbine. More of a carbifle.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice setup, Leverdude. I like the cartridge pouch. You have one each for the .357 and the .44?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Alnitak - so your dictionary overrides my dictionary? is that what I am hearing? :lol:
Mike Johnson,

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

No override ... just wanted to make sure you had access to complete information....rather than the abridged version. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK, time to bring out the big guns - Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary. This baby is 4 3/4" thick and weighs 10 lbs and has 2303 pages not including the maps.

Pistol - a small firearm made to be held and fired in one hand: most pistols are now either revolvers or magazine fed automatics.

There you have it - time to lighten up on rjohn. He can have a 250-3000 and a pistol if he wants. :D And he is correct in his terminology.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for the rescue, I was feeling a little dictionary envy. :lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

alnitak wrote:Nice setup, Leverdude. I like the cartridge pouch. You have one each for the .357 and the .44?

Yep,
Levergun leatherworks made them up for me. Cant find a thing wrong with them. :wink: