Thanks for the reloading book recommendations!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the reloading book recommendations!

Post by crs »

Back on the old forum, we had a discussion about some old and new load data for the .45-90 and some helpful folks recommended some loads and some books to read.
Santa got busy and did a great job of delivering the goods as follows: :D
1 COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING by Philip B Sharpe
A must for lovers of old gun books, filled with interesting stories and no small amount of gun and ammo wisdom.

2. Pet Loads + addendum by Ken Waters - Excellent tome with many useful loads and insights in to the loading and shooting game.

3. Nosler reloading Guide #6 - a good reference with personal touch on each calibre.

4. Speer Reloading Manual #13 - seems each bullet maker has loads only for their bullets, so you need one from each!

5. Winchester Pocket Guide - never know when you will need this one!

I have scanned each book and am looking forward to a lot of interesting reading. Thanks again to all that made suggestions!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

crs,

I have all those except #'s 2 & 3. I find it amazing just how much knowledge was out there back in the 30s. So much so that I'm just learning what had been all but forgotten before I was born.

The one thing that really got my attention was that Phillip B. Sharpe has a lot of pressure tested data in the 1937 and later data sections.
Until I read his book, I was under the mistaken impression ( was told this by others) that pressure testing didn't exist until the 60s and 70s. I was fibbed to.

Lots of great data that has been forgotten, ignored, or so watered down as to be pathetic in those older books too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Joe;
Yes, Sharpe's closing essay on pressure is full of interesting facts, observations, and corrections to "common knowledge". Great reading. This type of stuff is one reason that I have so little time for reading fiction novels and watching TV.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ammoguide.com has been of use to me for many loadings. You have to pay a fee for full access, but I've found it well worth it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DiamondD
Levergunner

Post by DiamondD »

You may also want to check out Richard Lees newest.
Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean