Hobie, suggestion for the regular forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Hobie, suggestion for the regular forum

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

I know this won't set well with most folks, but my suggestion is to put a HUGE BOLD sticky notice up leading every one over here, then lock down the other forum for the time being. Leave as a searchable archive.

This will keep everyone from posting over there. Maybe help make Joel's work a bit easier.

Just a thought.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am not capable of doing that. Maybe Paul has the necessary permissions or he can convince JimT to do it. That is simply above my pay grade! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Me either, Hobie. I can do it HERE! :-) Could lock it down and put up a big "Go To Leverguns.com" sign up. But as folks can see, I didn't even remember to do that back in May following the last great leverguns meltdown. So much for that idea. It'd have to run through JimT or Joel Cosby to get done. The rest of us be lowly moderators and custodians of the Q38 or whatever the heck the nuker is called.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie,

While the old forum is being worked on, a couple of other suggestions for improvement:

Can we get the sticky threads down to one (or just a few)? I know you tried doing that once, then it got to the point where almost the entire first page was stickies. So, you had to click to go to the second page to see any new threads.

Can we please have a button we can click on to go to the next page, rather than a drop down box where we have to select a page number. It's a real pain to have to go through that process over and over to page through the posts. Like on this temporary forum, most forums have several pages (say, 1-5) shown, with a back arrow and a forward arrow. One click to see the next page would really be convenient.

Thanks for listening!
Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's too bad there's not a separate section for political posts - for those that partake in such.

But, then - I'm one of those who were raised to never discuss religion or politics. (sigh)
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Pete44ru wrote:It's too bad there's not a separate section for political posts - for those that partake in such.

But, then - I'm one of those who were raised to never discuss religion or politics. (sigh)
On the other hand, I was raised to discuss anything - politely. The problem with discussing religion or politics is that not everyone understands that it can be done respectfully - even when there's disagreement. Not everyone must (or will) agree with me and I can live with that. But not all can.

If we don't discuss religion or politics then we never question our own beliefs. If we never question our own beliefs (as in "Why do I believe what I believe.") then we run the risk of never learning, of stagnating and living ineffectually. Politics and religion are important parts of our lives, whether we like it or not. To refuse to discuss them does not lead to peace but rather to chaos as we refuse to seek solutions to that which is within our grasp to address.

I've also noticed that many shy away from discussing them because they are not clear about their own ideas on the matter. So any discussion is seen as a threat since they've no base upon which to build a respectful discussion.

Just some random thoughts on the matter. Also, no one is forced to read ANY thread on the forum. The Leverguns forum grew out of the old sixgunner.com and sixguns.com forums where folks gathered and conversed about anything and everything - politely. Most of the original folks had similar views on life. Over time more and more people gravitated to them due to their firearms content - even though they don't share the same political or religious outlook on life.

For me? It's worth hanging around due to the caliber of some of the folks here. Differences of opinion are guaranteed, it's how we handle them that shows what we are made of.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sadly, these levergun forums seem to be one of the last bastions of politeness, being populated by some real gentlemen & gentlewomen.

Other forums I frequent certainly have some polite gentlefolk, but most are, more and more, infected with potential trolls.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Pete44ru wrote:Sadly, these levergun forums seem to be one of the last bastions of politeness, being populated by some real gentlemen & gentlewomen.

Other forums I frequent certainly have some polite gentlefolk, but most are, more and more, infected with potential trolls.
This is true. I believe a lot has to do with the character of the people who founded them. sixgunner.com sixguns.com leverguns.com - all founded by folks with solid christian principles - of varying denominational backgrounds but solid christian principles. The resulting forums are a reflection of that. And the moderators do their best to keep the discussion on a polite level. Disagreement's OK (and even to be expected) but rudeness will not be tolerated. I think it does us all good to learn to disagree in an agreeable manner. It's not easy to do, especially when there's a conflict of personality, but it should always be our goal.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

AmBraCol wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:Sadly, these levergun forums seem to be one of the last bastions of politeness, being populated by some real gentlemen & gentlewomen.

This is true. I believe a lot has to do with the character of the people who founded them. sixgunner.com sixguns.com leverguns.com - all founded by folks with solid christian principles - of varying denominational backgrounds but solid christian principles. The resulting forums are a reflection of that. And the moderators do their best to keep the discussion on a polite level. Disagreement's OK (and even to be expected) but rudeness will not be tolerated. I think it does us all good to learn to disagree in an agreeable manner. It's not easy to do, especially when there's a conflict of personality, but it should always be our goal.
I've another forum that I go to for H&R ideas, that houses a resident troll or two. I've posted topics there, where people will only reply to me via p.m. because a certain troll is in disagreement with something as trivail as shooting 75gr .224 cal bullets in a 1-9 twist barrel.
The only thing this troll dose is base his bias for the above combination, because of a formula that he created, that says it will not work. Dose not matter if someone gets tiny little groups or not.
He will attack and try to be little anyone who thinks otherwise. I've already been in two seperate occasions where the mod has had to break-up the argument and delet the post.
Some real closed minded people.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

WCF3030 wrote: I've another forum that I go to for H&R ideas, that houses a resident troll or two. I've posted topics there, where people will only reply to me via p.m. because a certain troll is in disagreement with something as trivail as shooting 75gr .224 cal bullets in a 1-9 twist barrel.
The only thing this troll dose is base his bias for the above combination, because of a formula that he created, that says it will not work. Dose not matter if someone gets tiny little groups or not.
He will attack and try to be little anyone who thinks otherwise. I've already been in two seperate occasions where the mod has had to break-up the argument and delet the post.
Some real closed minded people.
Perhaps we should ban discussing tiny little groups! :-)

It's amazing how many folks "know" something - even though they've never tried it. Like long range handgunning. Some swear that it can't be done - even though they've never put any time or effort into it.

And formulas? They're neat, but essentially they are theories. Theories must be proven in the field before they are really credible.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

AmBraCol wrote:
Perhaps we should ban discussing tiny little groups! :-)
:lol:

Just another reason to hang my hat at Leverguns. I notice the contrast between this site and others. The knowlege base here makes for a huge learning curve for me.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Manny

Post by Manny »

Well I hope the single forum format is maintained, I like the wide open discuss whatever style. Segregating everything into different little catagories takes away in my view. And I also would second a "next page" selection as well.
Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

I hang out at the HuntingNut forum and of course Leverguns.
The guys and moderators over at HuntingNut have the same Christian Values as the people and moderators on Leverguns.
Other forums I tend to stay away from.
It's nice to hang my hat at the campfire with a bunch of great people that these two forums attract.
You hit the nail on the head AmBraCol when you made the observation about Christian Values.
I never thought of it like that concerning the two forums that I frequent, but thinking about it, you are absolutely correct.
The core values of the people here and HuntingNut reflect the Faith Community to a tee.
I am treated well even though I am a Devout Catholic amongst mostly Protestants.

Eric

:)
God Bless Our Troops!!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Eric M. wrote:I hang out at the HuntingNut forum and of course Leverguns.
The guys and moderators over at HuntingNut have the same Christian Values as the people and moderators on Leverguns.
Other forums I tend to stay away from.
It's nice to hang my hat at the campfire with a bunch of great people that these two forums attract.
You hit the nail on the head AmBraCol when you made the observation about Christian Values.
I never thought of it like that concerning the two forums that I frequent, but thinking about it, you are absolutely correct.
The core values of the people here and HuntingNut reflect the Faith Community to a tee.
I am treated well even though I am a Devout Catholic amongst mostly Protestants.

Eric

:)
Being the Agnostic, I am, I have to agree. Well, almost an agnostic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I'm with pete44ru, much more interested in gun talk than politics and religion, just my two cents.
Hobie, on the new and improved site, can we have doughnuts? Just a thought... 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What, you don't have donuts? I have donuts... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Hobie;
---- What, you don't have donuts? I have donuts...
Glazed? Oh my--- If I bring the coffie? Oh., where's my nitro?

Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pepe Ray wrote:Hobie;
---- What, you don't have donuts? I have donuts...
Glazed? Oh my--- If I bring the coffie? Oh., where's my nitro?

Pepe Ray
Filled, glazed, sprinkles...
Sincerely,

Hobie

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:Filled, glazed, sprinkles...

And maple bars. Don't forget the maple bars. And cinnamon rolls. Oh rats, we're outta cherry pie...
Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

You guys talk like this, and I'm on a diet.
Thanks for nothing. :evil: :lol:

Eric
God Bless Our Troops!!!
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Eric;
You said, "I am treated well even though I am a Devout Catholic amongst mostly Protestants. "
I sincerely believe when people are more interested in being Devout Christians, those Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox differences diminish. After all, we are called to unity by Christ!
Shucks, we even allow people with long-guns other than lever actions to post here. Even hand gunners! Unity can exist.
PPpastordon
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Ain't that the truth!
Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

Thanks Pastordon.

You sure are correct on what you said.
A Great bunch of guys linger in this forum.

God Bless You and your Family,

Eric
God Bless Our Troops!!!