Which would you buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sgtgeorge
Levergunner

Which would you buy?

Post by sgtgeorge »

I am looking at two used and one new lever 22. The used ones are the Winchester 9422 and a Marlin 39. Both are in excellent shape and look real nice. The new lever gun is a Henry .22. If you had to pick one, which would it be. I know next to nothing about 22 levers so any advice is good advice.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Which would you buy?

Post by dbateman »

my favorite 22lr is the Winchester 9422 it has never let me down is lite and handy to carry all day and deadly accurate
i do also own a Marlin 39A it is a very well built rifle and has never failed me ether ,it wheres a scope and has done a bit of
rage time and is a tak driver its a bit heaver the the Winchester but a very nice gun
i dont no anything about Henry
i like the Winchester but both win and marlin make fine guns so pic the one you like
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've had a 9422 and it was very smooth. I've shot a Henry and it is extremely smooth. It is my understanding that Henry customer service is excellent. I have a Marlin 39a Mountie. We have the "If you could only have one gun" topic come up around here often. My answer is ALWAYS my Marlin 39a Mountie. It feels solid. Like a gun should.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

First, are you looking at an octagon barreled Model 39 (no "A") or a round barrel 39A?

The 39/39A is the only full size rifle you mentioned. The other 2 are carbines. If price is a deciding point, then the Henry H001T Octagon is the best value, in the market today. Williams makes a peep sight that fits onto the grooved receiver if you want.

Check the Marlin. If it has the serial number under the lever and it has a letter prefix of "B" - "K" it is an early Ballard (pre-microgrooved) rifled gun and has some good collector value. There is nothing wrong with a Golden 39A or any of the other Microgrooved variants, but you may want to avoid the ones that have a crossbolt safety. The 39A also holds the record for being the longest in contious production.

I have no comment on the Winnie.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Buy used! I have a couple of 9422's and a 39A, I would hate to choose between them.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

have both winnie and marlin, like the winnie better[surprise!]
both are good guns , like jdad said avoid the crossbolt safety/rebounding
hammer on the newer 39as. can't comment on henry.

good luck, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No contest for me - the Marlin. Don't get me wrong - the Winchester is a great gun, and my son loves his Henry, but of the three I'm just partial to the Marlin... :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would get the Winchester - very good and you can't always come by them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Of the three, the only one I have shot is the Henry. I like it a lot. If you can, get all three.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

sgtgeorge wrote:I am looking at two used and one new lever 22. The used ones are the Winchester 9422 and a Marlin 39. Both are in excellent shape and look real nice. The new lever gun is a Henry .22. If you had to pick one, which would it be. I know next to nothing about 22 levers so any advice is good advice.
Way back in 77 I think I bought myself a Win 9422 for Christmas. I loved it. It has filled my need for a .22 rifle so well that there is no wants.

I'd buy the 9422.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

You can't loose with the 9422 or the 39...Blued steel and walnut.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Well Sgtgeorge, are you any the wiser?
Everyone has an opinion around here and that is what makes it so much fun.

The Winchester and Marlin are both well made rifles.
I have three Marlin 22's - two 1897 models and a 39Mountie - Love all of them.
A good mate has a 9422 and I would buy it off him tomorrow if he would sell it. Honestly that Winchester is a tack holer.

So what you have is a case of "TOXIC CHOICE SYNDROME".
The only cure is to buy all three.

Pop.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have both a 9422 and three Marlin 39 levers. The 9422 is a great little rifle, but my Marlin 39s go to the range probably 10:1 more than the Winchester.

They are accurate, the two 39M Mountie carbines handle well, and I like that I can take down the receiver for cleaning the residue from filthy .22s. I can't get any of my other 22 levers clean without extensive disassembly.

That said, my absolute favorite 22 lever is the Browning BL22. The short throw lever and enclosed trigger loop make it the fastest handling lever that I own. Accurate as all get out.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

one more vote for the Browning BL22. They are fast handling, beautifully fit and finished and accurate. So now it looks like you will need to buy 4 guns. Do you see a theme rising here?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
sgtgeorge
Levergunner

Post by sgtgeorge »

Well,

I must say the opinions are widely varied. The Marlin is one of the newer micro-grooved variation, but has NO cross bolt safety, so I believe it is an older (20 years +/-) gun. I had the Winchester 9422, briefly, years ago. I don't remember much about owning it :( except it was a reliable feeder :D . The Marlin looks like a solid gun, well built with a quality fit and finish. I don't want to insult anyone, but the Henry looks like a toy with that f aux brass frame. I handled it and it feels like a solid piece, but I don't know anyone that owns one.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I had the money I'd get the 39A (or 39) then the 9422, then BOTH the 39 and 9422 and then, and only then, maybe, consider the Henry. :wink: However, lots of folks have found the Henry to be a reliable, fun rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

9422 then the 39 and then the henry....
but between the 9422 and the 39 the price
of each would influence my purchace....
9422 are only going up and up....and if that were the
deal...i'd grab that first...
looked at a 39 in bad shape yesterday at gander mt....700
and a henry boy scout at 890 :o :o :o
I bought my 9422trapper NIB with scope for 375
a year and a half ago....they are 900 on gunbroker now :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You can't possibly go wrong with any one of the three, IMHO.

The Marlin should be a tad more accurate than the other two, if that's a concern to you - but they'll all shoot into a squirrel's head at 50yds.
It's also the easiest to add a peep sight, if that's in your plans.

The Henry Standard (blue H001) is far & away the price leader - unless one of the other's is abnormally inexpensive (aka: the seller doesn't know the value of what's being sold).

You should let your heart (and your wallet) be your guide.

If you handle each one in turn, and crank the levers from a firing position, one of them should stand out a bit more than the other two, for YOU.

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Well, we ain't helped much have we. :wink: Sounds like you may have an idea though. I would go with one of the used guns, which ever trips your fancy, either will serve you well. My 9422 is extremly accurate and reliable. I have 3 versions of the 39A, a full size, a Mountie and a 39A Carbine. I have to say, I love them all, but if I had to go back to just one it would be my full size 39A.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I would buy the one that most closely resembles the configuration of your centerfire levergun. Then put the same sights on it and you will have priceless practice with a .22 that is set up exactly like your centerfire.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er wrote:I would buy the one that most closely resembles the configuration of your centerfire levergun. Then put the same sights on it and you will have priceless practice with a .22 that is set up exactly like your centerfire.

I hadn't thought of that, but that is exactly what I did back in 77. I had a Win 94 in 30-30 and bought the 9422 because it was such a perfect little brother to it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a Henry and it is a seriously fun gun ------ but i would pick the Win 9422. Winchester is pretty much gone now except for a few special editions and Model 70's --- the 9422 would be fun and will never depreciate.

Marlins have an accuracy reputation, but Marlin is still going strong - even if you let this one slide it will be easy to get one later.
Same for the Henry --- they have a really good market share in the .22 lever market and many places have them (Wal Mart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and many independent gun shops) Its easy to replace. I love, love , love mine with .22 Shorts for picking at black birds in my backyard (its an acreage-- i would never try this stunt on a city lot) --- in fact, its probably the best bang for the buck in my gun closet. The downside is the wood is plain and the bluing on the receiver (if you can call it that) is kind of odd looking --- but then again, its a $260 rifle --- i'm thinking about getting another one with the shorty lever and big loop

The Winchester or MArlin can do all this and look better doing it, but you will cuss more if it starts showing some dents and dings from regular use

so i guess i would say get both the Winnie and the Henry
----- Doug
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

As the owner of a 39a for the past 30 years, I am definitely biased towards them . I've never handled a 9422, but if you can get a deal on one, jump on it as they aren't being made anymore. I'm not that wild on the Henrys. Ultimately go with what you like the most.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I really like the 39 .... it's easy to clean and worth putting better sights on if you wish... most are lazer beams out of the box.

My only "complaint" is really a strength that makes me prefer a Marlin 39... it's heavy... almost a perfect thing to subsitute for a 336 or W94 for practice time.
It swings and points like the heavier centerfires..
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I didn't already have the BEST .22 levergun (see below), I'd probably 'settle' for the Henry, due to the almost-as smooth action, and if I could forgive the Marlin's funny-looking little side-exposed bolt, I suppose I'd make do with one, but they are awfully long and gangly for a .22LR. The historic Winchester would probably be a nice choice, but I don't think I'd want to spend that kind of money on a .22LR with hard-to-find parts unless it could hit a dime at 75 yards, which my heavy-barreled but handy 10/22 can do (ten times and quickly).

Too bad they don't make these 96/22's anymore... 8)

With due apologies to all the 'traditional' .22 lever-gun afficianados... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Had all 3, still have the early Marlin 39A, SN # H12XX. That pretty much says it all in the lever department. I also have another half a dozen 22LR rifles, my favorite is an old Mossberg 46B(b) made in 1947. I prefer it over my $1000 Custom Target Ruger 10/22, probably because even with the scope on it I still have less than $75 into it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I love the Marlins but before you buy please check out the Browning BL-22
You can get the BL-22FLD Grade I for around $400,
This gun has a "nickel engraved" receiver and even the Grade 1 wood is Fantastic
and the rest of the finish on the remaining steel parts is very good.

Go on the Browning website and check them out!!!!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

i agree the BL-22 are very nice rifle very good fit and finish pleasure to shoot
i would like one my self you do see them for sale over here but thay dont sit on the shelf long
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My vote would go to the 9422, I've had three, still got two.
I used to have a Marlin Mountie, would be happy if that was my only .22, also had an Erma the original modern "Henry" that was a reliable and accurate rifle too.
I've never shot a Ruger or Browning lever action so I can't comment on them.

If I was for some reason without a lever .22 I would go for which ever of the three was the best deal. If cash was not a problem I'd go for the Winchester as long as it was an older one.
I have heard that "some" of the last models made were not as well put together.
Last edited by gamekeeper on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I have a Marlin Mountie, a Henry youth , and a bl22 NO 9422. All 3 shoot and handle great. Of the ones I have the Henry gives the best groups and is the least picky on the brand of ammo it likes. The Henry does have an Al receiver and I do not doubt that it will be junk within 50 years or so the Browning and the Marlin will still be going strong. I amalways on the lookout for a good deal on a 9422.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Understudy .22 to a .30-30...Hmmmm......................

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rhead wrote:I. The Henry does have an Al receiver and I do not doubt that it will be junk within 50 years or so .

The AR-15, among many other rifles , has an AL receiver which is subjected to much higher pressures than the little .22. Barring abuse or mistreatment, the little Henry should still be going strong in 50 (but i would be very surprised if they have any collectibility in 50 years, but who knows--- there are a lot of things selling for major coin now that i never thought would be worth more than a couple hundred bucks)
----- Doug
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Pete44ru wrote:You can't possibly go wrong with any one of the three, IMHO.

The Marlin should be a tad more accurate than the other two, if that's a concern to you - but they'll all shoot into a squirrel's head at 50yds.
It's also the easiest to add a peep sight, if that's in your plans.

The Henry Standard (blue H001) is far & away the price leader - unless one of the other's is abnormally inexpensive (aka: the seller doesn't know the value of what's being sold).

You should let your heart (and your wallet) be your guide.

If you handle each one in turn, and crank the levers from a firing position, one of them should stand out a bit more than the other two, for YOU..
Good observation and good advice.
ED
Yer never too old
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I would buy the Winchester with no questions asked. I know alot of people really love their Marlins, but for me - the Winchester 9422 is the finest lever action 22 out there in the last 30 years.

You can pick up a Henry anytime in the future and Winchester 9422 are getting much more hard to find
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I would go for the Marlin, I have a 39A a 9422 and a BL-22, never shot a Henry.
I'd go for the Marlin and the Browning ahead of the Winchester, but that is because in my case the 9422 that I have has the worst creepy trigger I have ever come across!! (however it is accurate).
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Model 39A I have a model 39A and I often shoot out the primer of used shotgun shells at 25 yards. I have also beat most of the people using ruger 10/22 shoting ten targets in a row. It's the GUN not me...