OT: Horse trailer questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Horse trailer questions

Post by J Miller »

How long and how wide is a horse?

Basically I'm looking for a used trailer I could tow with my Pathfinder. Wife and I got to thinking that even a used horse trailer would work. But I don't know how big a horse trailer would be.
I'm looking at a trailer around 5' wide x 10' with a tandem axle and surge breaks if possible.
The new trailers around here don't offer anything like this. Single axles is all they offer.

I've had great luck with the 5x10' U-haul trailers, they are set up like I mentioned, but nobody makes them. And I can't afford a new one anyway.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Horse trailer questions

Post by Wind »

Hey Joe - The thing about used horse trailers is they are essentially portable horse outhouses. Unless you find a used one where the previous occupants wore diapers. All that acidic horse urine eventually leads to structural issues (as in the bottom falling out) with older used trailers. Hauling boxes of grandma's doillies around may not be recommended. As always it's just me expressing an opinion. Watch yer top knot. Wind
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wind wrote:Hey Joe - The thing about used horse trailers is they are essentially portable horse outhouses. Unless you find a used one where the previous occupants wore diapers. All that acidic horse urine eventually leads to structural issues (as in the bottom falling out) with older used trailers. Hauling boxes of grandma's doillies around may not be recommended. As always it's just me expressing an opinion. Watch yer top knot. Wind
Wind,

I've read that before. I was thinking though that if I got the trailer cheep enough I could put a new floor in it and clean it up and still save some money. Just a thought.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

There are probably alot of horse trailers out there that have never been used as horsetrailers, so you might strike onto something in nice shape.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

They could have a point on issues with old horse trailers, however powerwashers have been invented. Most good folks that I know these days that haul a horse around will powerwash their trailer after every use. They are too expensive not too. Check out craigslist, ebay or some of the online horse sales sites that also list trailers. Rather than search under horse trailer check out stock trailer as well. I would try to find a nice older stock trailer that was no longer than 12-14'.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

horsesoldier03 wrote:They could have a point on issues with old horse trailers, however powerwashers have been invented. Most good folks that I know these days that haul a horse around will powerwash their trailer after every use. They are too expensive not too. Check out craigslist, ebay or some of the online horse sales sites that also list trailers. Rather than search under horse trailer check out stock trailer as well. I would try to find a nice older stock trailer that was no longer than 12-14'.
Ditto the stock trailer idea. We haul our horses to and from events and vet checks several times a month. We have a very nice two horse slant load trailer and a basic 16 ft stock trailer to choose from. I find that I use the stock trailer every time I can. Plus, the 16 ft flat floor is perfect for hauling funiture, hay, lumber, you name it. This is the best vehicle I have ever bought. I can be hard to find a used one because no one in his right mind would ever sell one. But, if you can find one, you'll be glad to have it. It doesn't have to be 16 ft but 16 does seem to be a popular length.

Bob A
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had one I used for a tool trailer for a couple years. Just sold it for $100. It was old, but worked fine. It would have needed a new floor to haul horses, but it was good enough for what I did with it. I've heard of others going in the $200 range.

What do you want to do with it? Pickup bed trailers are pretty handy with a shell on them, and they can go anywhere your truck can go.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:I had one I used for a tool trailer for a couple years. Just sold it for $100. It was old, but worked fine. It would have needed a new floor to haul horses, but it was good enough for what I did with it. I've heard of others going in the $200 range.

What do you want to do with it? Pickup bed trailers are pretty handy with a shell on them, and they can go anywhere your truck can go.

I need an enclosed trailer for our eventual move out of here. I'm trying to get things arranged ahead of time for cheap.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:
Malamute wrote:I had one I used for a tool trailer for a couple years. Just sold it for $100. It was old, but worked fine. It would have needed a new floor to haul horses, but it was good enough for what I did with it. I've heard of others going in the $200 range.

I need an enclosed trailer for our eventual move out of here. I'm trying to get things arranged ahead of time for cheap.

Joe
Nothing wrong with planning ahead. If I had lived in the Obamunist state of Daleystan I'd have moved or died in the attempt. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe I don't know how it is around your part of the world, but a 2 horse trailer that you could pull with your pathfinder is going to be expensive here. We got to many real cowboys that keep the price's sky high. I know a fella from you state that got one of those enclosed uhaul looking trailers for 1k$, and there's no way you'll touch a 2 horse around here for that.
Pickup some of those auto trader things that are always at the door of the grocery stores etc, and watch the yard sales.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
Nothing wrong with planning ahead. If I had lived in the Obamunist state of Daleystan I'd have moved or died in the attempt. :wink:
My collection of meds is getting out of hand. My uric acid is way high and I'm running cronic gout spells. Can't get my blood pressure under control. My arthritus is causing me more trouble than I can tell. I'm putting on weight because of the stress, pain and the lack of mobility that causes. I can't sleep well any more ...........................

Dieing is in progress.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don McDowell wrote:Joe I don't know how it is around your part of the world, but a 2 horse trailer that you could pull with your pathfinder is going to be expensive here. We got to many real cowboys that keep the price's sky high. I know a fella from you state that got one of those enclosed uhaul looking trailers for 1k$, and there's no way you'll touch a 2 horse around here for that.
Pickup some of those auto trader things that are always at the door of the grocery stores etc, and watch the yard sales.

Don,
We've been looking at yard sales, adds, and local trailer lots. Used trailers seem to be extinct around here. New ones that my Pathfinder can tow are single axle and run close to $2K. I wouldn't mind a new one, but the finances just can't do that.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Joe - It would be ashame to get all the way out to AZ or NM and have everyone calling you "Stinky Butt" because you brought all yer stuff in a horse trailer. :lol: Just funnin Joe.

How about if ya just wait and rent a U-Haul trailer when ya move?

Don't forget. You want a lot of weight up front in the trailer so that you have a lot of tounge weight.

Happy trailering.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Modoc ED wrote:Joe - It would be ashame to get all the way out to AZ or NM and have everyone calling you "Stinky Butt" because you brought all yer stuff in a horse trailer. :lol: Just funnin Joe.

How about if ya just wait and rent a U-Haul trailer when ya move?

Don't forget. You want a lot of weight up front in the trailer so that you have a lot of tounge weight.

Happy trailering.
Ed, Have no fear, I have more than enough weight for that. :o

My wife does crafts and her pickup isn't big enough to haul all of it. So we've checked and measured and she rented a couple of nice trailers a year or so ago for a craft show in IN. We figure if we can find a used trailer for cheap, we could use it to move with and then when she does her shows, she'd have a trailer for that.

That's our idea anyway. It may not work out like that at all.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here's a little food for thought for you Joe.

If you buy/own a trailer and are moving across country or close to it and the darn thing breaks down, you will have to get it fixed and will probably have to at least partially unload it to do so. If it's not fixable, you're really in a tight fix.

If you rent a trailer from U-Haul and it breaks down, they will come out and fix it and if they can't fix it, they will send out a replacement trailer for you.

U-Haul has sales of some of their older equipment. Go up on their web site and see if they have anything for sale that you might want but I still say you're best renting one.

Your health does not permit you to be changing tires, axle seals, axles, broken tounges, etc. (well, maybe change a tire) alongside the road.
ED
Yer never too old
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Compared to a standard box trailer, horse trailers are seriously heavy. I know once you load any trailer its going to be heavy, but why start off with an extra 1000 pounds.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

dr walker wrote:Compared to a standard box trailer, horse trailers are seriously heavy. I know once you load any trailer its going to be heavy, but why start off with an extra 1000 pounds.
Good point. I don't know much about them, so I'd not thought of that.
Modoc ED wrote:Here's a little food for thought for you Joe.

If you buy/own a trailer and are moving across country or close to it and the darn thing breaks down, you will have to get it fixed and will probably have to at least partially unload it to do so. If it's not fixable, you're really in a tight fix.

If you rent a trailer from U-Haul and it breaks down, they will come out and fix it and if they can't fix it, they will send out a replacement trailer for you.

U-Haul has sales of some of their older equipment. Go up on their web site and see if they have anything for sale that you might want but I still say you're best renting one.

Your health does not permit you to be changing tires, axle seals, axles, broken tounges, etc. (well, maybe change a tire) alongside the road.
I'm not dead yet. What you say is true, but if I worried about a trailer breaking down so I should rent one, then I'd have to worry about my Pathfinder breaking down so I should get rid of it and rent a car to drive across country.
Nah, I can't do that. If they break, they break. We'll just cross that bridge when we get to it.

Checking U-Hauls sales is a good idea though. I'll do it.

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I read an article once years ago that talked about moving on the cheap. One of the best ways the person writing the article found was to purchase a used school bus. You can load all your worldly belongings in it then when you get where you're going you can turn around and sell it to a church or someone else that is needing a bus. Here in Fla. they haul farm laborers around in them.

U-haul does sell off older units if you check around.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Best of luck with whatever you decide Joe. Whatever it is isn't as important as moving to AZ or NM. So get moving.
ED
Yer never too old
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Dr Walker is right, you need to be looking for an enclosed trailer not a horse trailer. The Pathfinder will thank you.

Seems odd that you can't find one reasonable. I did a quick search of ebay and came up with a new one for $1775 BIN in Ill. Don't know how close it is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Seems a little small but there should be something bigger for less, used, you might even contact that seller. Keep shopping, you'll find one.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The guys are right about the things being heavy -- but one of the bigger issues is how tall they are compared to a regular box trailer -- not an issue with a 3/4 ton Chevy, but maybe an issue with a Pathfinder
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Streetstar wrote:The guys are right about the things being heavy -- but one of the bigger issues is how tall they are compared to a regular box trailer -- not an issue with a 3/4 ton Chevy, but maybe an issue with a Pathfinder
Well, I guess you guys have just about talked me out of a horse trailer. Unless I find one for Shetland Ponies :twisted:

Joe
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, how big of a trailer do you need?

Pickup bed trailers go in the $200 to $400 range generally. I have a Datsun PU bed trailer I use with my Nissan pickup. It has a shell on it, and I can leave my camp gear and such in it, ready to head out. Mighty handy. If both you and the wife had PU bed tralers, it would be like having 4 pickups to move with. They arent very heavy either. Something to think about, if you don't turn up a box trailer.

I believe the general rule for trailer packing is 60/40. 60% of the weight ahead of the axle, 40% behind. You want the trailer axle to carry the weight, but enough tongue weight that it doesnt sway. If the weight is too far back, it can start to sway. You DON'T want that to happen. It can ruin your whole day.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A 'goat' trailer is shorter (too short for horses) but may be cheaper, and is more streamlined fuel-efficiency wise.

A good modern trailer will have a treated-lumber floor which ventilates and allows for less metal-rusting moisture accumulation.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute,
I've had good luck with the 5x10' box trailers. They pull very well behind the Nissans and should haul all my stuff. Should .... being the operative word.

I didn't know they made trailers for goats.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Joe - All this talk isn't getting you moved. Start packing. You could probably be out West by the end of the summer if you step on it.
ED
Yer never too old
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

J Miller wrote:How long and how wide is a horse?

Basically I'm looking for a used trailer I could tow with my Pathfinder. Wife and I got to thinking that even a used horse trailer would work. But I don't know how big a horse trailer would be.
I'm looking at a trailer around 5' wide x 10' with a tandem axle and surge breaks if possible.
The new trailers around here don't offer anything like this. Single axles is all they offer.

I've had great luck with the 5x10' U-haul trailers, they are set up like I mentioned, but nobody makes them. And I can't afford a new one anyway.

Joe
To bad you are in Illinois, My neighbor has one that he will trade for 5 cords of fire wood.
I already have a two horse but may take him up on it just to resell it.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!