help i want a 357 maximum carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ddhotbot
Levergunner

help i want a 357 maximum carbine

Post by ddhotbot »

i have wanted this for a long time. who can build me 1? it can be a lever action or revolver. any help is apprec.thanks don
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: help i want a 357 maximum carbine

Post by bogus bill »

Cheapest way to go would be a contender barrel. Next to that I would find a martini cadet, and rebarrel it. A winchester 94 in .357 might do the trick as the action is longer than a 92. Help me out here, boys!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Handi-Rifle in .357 reamed to Max specs might be the most inexpensive way.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

There is somebody who does marlins with LONG cartridges. (help me remember, who does em with weird .45 wildcats?) .357 max ought to be doable. Rechamber and adjust the innards.

Ok, I looked it up. http://www.levergun.com/Marlin/index.html

It would take a long action.
Certified gun nut
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I will call Mic and ask his opinion. I will post a follow up. 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I believe Tycer has a Winny 94 in 360 Dan Wesson. He could tell you who to talk to.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Why would the 92 action be Considered not strong enough :?:
I always thought the 92 action was just a shortened 86 action.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

*SIGH* not again... Please, do a search to find the necessary info. There are 5 PAGES of comments on this forum.

Rifles that can correctly handle the cartridge are few indeed. Of course you can spend all you want if that's what you want to do. The cheapest path is to re-chamber an NEF handi-rifle. The cartridge has a lot going for it but one negates the advantages by over-spending on such a project.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:*SIGH* not again... Please, do a search to find the necessary info. There are 5 PAGES of comments on this forum.

Rifles that can correctly handle the cartridge are few indeed. Of course you can spend all you want if that's what you want to do. The cheapest path is to re-chamber an NEF handi-rifle. The cartridge has a lot going for it but one negates the advantages by over-spending on such a project.

Little PMS there Hobie :?: :D :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

casastahle wrote:
Hobie wrote:*SIGH* not again... Please, do a search to find the necessary info. There are 5 PAGES of comments on this forum.

Little PMS there Hobie :?: :D :wink:
We do go on about which action is most or least suitable. There is one. The Winchester 94 .357 Mag. Otherwise take a .44 Mag gun, put a .357 barrel on it and make a .357 B&D. But single-shots are the best bet cost wise. The Handi-rifle is the least expensive, I think the Contender is the best, but one can also do it on an Encore. In 6 years this consensus has not changed. The 92 is TOO SHORT not too weak.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're more interested in the performance of a .357 Maximum than the actual cartridge, and you want a carbine vs. a full-size rifle (in the latter case a .35 Remington would work), look at a .357 Bain & Davis, which you could do by re-barrelling an 1894 Marlin or probably any .44 Magnum levergun. The .357 Dan Wesson and a couple similar 'hot loaded .357 Magnums in longer cases) are essentially the same in performance, yet not as long and hard to work in a carbine action.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hobie, I think we need that beating a dead horse in our smilies section. :D
Old Law Dawg
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

kimwcook wrote:Hobie, I think we need that beating a dead horse in our smilies section. :D
A++ :lol:
ddhotbot
Levergunner

Post by ddhotbot »

i know a single shot is the least expensive option, but i want a repeater in 357 max to match my ruger blackhawk 357 max. i guess imy biggest question is who does this conversion? thanks again
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Browning made some Traditional Low Walls in .357 Mag. I almost bought one with a view toward converting it to .357 Max. Someone else got it before I could make up my mind to go ahead. Kinda kicking myself...