Raccoon Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Raccoon Rifle

Post by HEAD0001 »

I bought a Fox Pro caller with several Raccoonn calling sounds. We have been having a ball calling Raccoons. There are two types of shots. You either get a shot at one sitting still in the tree while they are looking down at the caller, or they come in running hard and mean. It is a real HOOT to see them come in and atack the caller. Then they run like he** when they realize the caller is not real.

I want to get a fast handing light rifle to shoot with. I have been using a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum, and open sights. I have been thinking about trying a red dot sight so I can hunt after dark for these raccoonns, and some foxes. All this shooting should be short range. I realize a lot of guys use shotguns, however I want to stay with a rifle.

I have been looking at the 1894 Marlin's in a 32-20 or a 25-20, or maybe even a 218 Bee. I actually would prefer the 25-20 or the 32-20. One reason is I have never owned these cartridges and thought it might be fun.

Why are the Marlin's in these cartridges so much more expensive?? Were they that much more expensive when Marlin originally sold them?? Is this a dumb idea?? My 44 mgnum works great, but shouldn't a fellow have one of the above cartridges?? Tom.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Raccoon Rifle

Post by crs »

Head;
If you are shooting these 'coons to eat, the .44 will tear up too much meat! :lol:
If just for sport, then use any thing from a .22 LR on up. A .22 WRM, Bee, Hornet or a pistol cartridge like a .38/.357 should do nicely. If you like making them explode, tey .357 110 or 125 gr hollowpoints from a rifle. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, the first thing that came to mind was a 10/22 in .22 mag. Plenty for coons, and they are nice handling rifles.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The Marlin in 32-20 would be my choice. very easy to load to a wide spectrum of use. it is also easier to find it in 32-20. I don't know about the price(being high) but mine is worth every bit of the money I paid for it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

jeepnik wrote:You know, the first thing that came to mind was a 10/22 in .22 mag. Plenty for coons, and they are nice handling rifles.
Yes, one of those does sound like a winner, but unfortunately (as far as I know) Ruger quite offering the 10/22 in 22mag, because of reliability issues when chambered in 22mag. They just never got it to really work right. However, the old standard 10/22 in .22 long rifle is a fine shooting and normally very reliable firearm.

Now, I am sure someone will post in glowing terms that they have a 10/22mag that has always worked great, and I am sure there are a few, but I seen several with problems, and I guess that is why Ruger has pretty much given up on it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Your stated options contain zero bad choices :mrgreen: Those 32-20, 25-20 and Bee 1894s were short runs and not available as new very often and that's why they are a bit more expensive....I just picked up a Bee a month ago (haven't seen it yet :lol: )for 500 and don't feel ripped off at all, just happy to have found one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Like Blaine, I just found and bought a Marlin in 218 for $500. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for who it's for. :wink: It'd be my choice for your task at hand. There's one on Gunbroker right now for a little more money as it's "new in box".
NRA Life Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

All the rifles mentioned should work great. My experience with red dot scopes is that they don't work good in low light. The ones I've used the dot has to much glare/star burst affect in low light even with them turned down to a low power setting. I never used any of the high dollar ones, they may be better. For something cheap, that may work better, NC Star scopes with illuminated cross hairs. I bought two of their pistol scopes, they were cheap, and put one on my guide gun as a scout set up. It is still working after some good 45-70 loads. With that said, I really haven't tried using them at night.
Ricky

DWWC
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When you've seen what those teeth will do, a .44 Mag doesn't seem such a bad choice...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:When you've seen what those teeth will do, a .44 Mag doesn't seem such a bad choice...

+1

A 500 Linebaugh would seem a bit on the light side should they reach your leg... :shock:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've probably shot a semi trailerload of treed coons, all with a .22LR or years ago a .22 Long. That was all I could use by law, and I always felt undergunned. WIthout a perfect headshot (which you often don't have with a treed coon) you aren't going to have many DRT coons with a .22.

Seems like a 357 levergun shooting 38 Specials would be perfect. Or, in the dark, a shotgun.
Last edited by Warhawk on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:You know, the first thing that came to mind was a 10/22 in .22 mag. Plenty for coons, and they are nice handling rifles.
This would work - it's just a regular 10/22, with a Bushnell Holosight, cheapie NCStar pistol laser (in front of the Holosight), and Meijer 3 watt LED flashlight in 30mm rings under the forend. The Holosight allows VERY dim illumination, so that even at 75 yards in pitch black, the flashlight will illuminate a black cat well enough without the 'red dot' so bright you can't see it. The laser makes it even nicer, if you like to shoot with both eyes open. Gun and Tapco stock run $275, and the Holosight about the same, so it isn't a cheap setup. The flashlight and cheapie 'pistol under-barrel' laser both ran about $30 each.

I suppose you could do basically the same setup on anything with similar mounting rails - a 'scout' rail and an under-barrel mount for the light. If you only shoot in daytime, the light wouldn't be needed.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

A bit expensive for a raccoon rifle

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Here is my pick! Although a bit expensive for a raccoon rifle, the fact that its been refinished means you have a nice shooter that you wont have to worry about collector values.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =124036502

On second thought, since the barrel is shot out on the one above,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =123664259

It will be intresting to see what this one goes for.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Any excuse to buy a new rifle of course! I have killed a huge number of coons with a 22 lr but if you could swing a 25-20,32-20, or something like that it would be cool! Nothing wrong with a 357 either.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

read about the mount here: http://www.ultimak.com/30M1CPrev.htm
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Image
read about the mount here: http://www.ultimak.com/30M1CPrev.htm

Perfect, just what I need, something ELSE to buy for my M1 carbine!! 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:When you've seen what those teeth will do, a .44 Mag doesn't seem such a bad choice...

I'll start a thread about upset off coons....... I've a tale or two :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would recomend either the much loved 10/22 or a Mini14. Both are quick handeling and fire as quick as you can function the trigger. A semiauto is great for fast follow up shots.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's MY choice...
Swiss Army Rifle.jpg
* Spot 'em with the flashlight...

* Shoot 'em with the rifle...

* Stab 'em with the knife, as needed...

* Cook 'em with the halogen lamp...

* And then eat 'em with the cutlery.

NOT!!!!!

:lol: :D :lol:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a NEF Handi rifle ordered in .17 HMR since the week before Christmas.

I chose the .17 because I'm thinking the bullet will tend to come apart and disperse rather than going off into the next county.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I have a NEF Handi rifle ordered in .17 HMR since the week before Christmas.

I chose the .17 because I'm thinking the bullet will tend to come apart and disperse rather than going off into the next county.
That makes sense; the lighter and faster and more fragile the bullet, the less likely it would go through or glance off of anything and keep going. I feel best if I can position where there is not only TREE as backstop, but solid ground behind that, if you can shoot from a hillside down or at least more horizontally. I doubt a .22LR slug coming down from a high arc would be very dangerous, but a hit in the eye while you happened to be out camping and sleeping on your back would be horrible (yeah, I know, odds are likelier to have a walnut fall on you and do the same thing). I'd definitely be uncomfortable with most centerfire rounds from that perspective, and the power needed to kill a raccoon humanely isn't much. Maybe a light loaded .32-20 or something though.

Actually, shooting a critter out of a tree really sounds like a time for those plastic or wooden 'training' projectiles the army sometimes has used, if they were accurate enough. :!:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well i do have a bit of experience with these critters, but most were shot with 22LR. Having said that, and since this IS a levergun site, I recommend the Henry lever in 22 WMR. Use the 30gr Vmax and shoot in the chest. It will be a bang flop, and if you hope to save pelts, it's the best choice of all mentioned.

If not the Vamx, I'd use a 40gr hollow point. Hang a flashlight unrder it and use open sights.

Besides the Henry is a smooth and reliable gun.

My next choice would be a Ruger mini 14 with 40gr Vmax bulles. More pelt damage there though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I doubt a .22LR slug coming down from a high arc would be very dangerous,
Beg pardon, Sir :P ..... Many people are hurt and killed by .22s they didn't even hear go off. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

They came in on our deck every night without being called -

But, somewhere between here -

and here -

They stopped - they didn't seem to understand the dogs just wanted to play -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Whatever you decide to shoot them with, if you ain't cleaning and eating them, your missing some fine meals. Get as much fat off as you can, cook thouroully, they carry tricinosis. Barbecued coon with bacon, baked taters, green beans with onion, and iced tea make a fine meal........Also, if you learn how to tan the hides, they can bring a dollar or two at old time rendevous.
UNITE
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

After years of running coons with dogs we switched over to callin them this year. Great fun but don't go telling everyone. Our little secret!

Up until this winter I would of never recommended a .22LR for a coon calling gun. Seen way to many coons hang on in a tree after being solidly hit with the LR. Had a few make it back to holes while calling too. Seemed to confirm my thoughts that the LR wasn't enough to anchor them.. That all changed this year when we tried the CCI Velocitors. One shot stops to the body are the norm. Smokes traditional LR's like the Mini-Mags. .22 mag should be even better.

Other than that any centerfire will work. You can blow em up too much to get any return on the fur (kinda a duh answer though huh). I'm gonna try working up some 100-125gr soft points and HP's around 1600/1700 fps and see what they do on em. I'm wanting to find a load that won't blow up coon but is still capable for coyotes out to 150 yards or so. We'll see.....

LK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
I doubt a .22LR slug coming down from a high arc would be very dangerous,
Beg pardon, Sir :P ..... Many people are hurt and killed by .22s they didn't even hear go off. :P
I stand corrected, then. I do wonder what the velocity of a 39 grain 'rock' would be at free fall and presumably tumbling, though. Of course, anything over 100 fps wouldn't exactly be something I'd volunteer to be hit by.

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Do you guys think there would be a lot of pelt damage from a cast bullet from a 32-20. I am just itching for an excuse to buy a Marlin 1894 in the 32-20 cartridge. I have a 10-22 and some of the other rifles mentioned. I just need some type of justification to buy a Marlin?? Certainly you guys understand?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Tom.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Oh, now I understand. Yes, you are absolutely right. A Marlin 1894 in 32-20 is the only thing that will stop a coon. You must have one to protect youself and others nearby. Do not hesitate any longer, buy one ASAP........ :mrgreen:
UNITE
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

If its an auto you would like check out the old Marlin camp 9.Carbine length,10 round handgun mag and
drilled and tapped for what ever sight you like.Chambered in 9mm.They also made a camp 45.They go
for 4 to 500 bucks for like new...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

HEAD0001 wrote:Do you guys think there would be a lot of pelt damage from a cast bullet from a 32-20. I am just itching for an excuse to buy a Marlin 1894 in the 32-20 cartridge. I have a 10-22 and some of the other rifles mentioned. I just need some type of justification to buy a Marlin?? Certainly you guys understand?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Tom.
Studies have shown that the toughness of raccoon hides varies quite a bit from region to region, so it would not be possible to recommend the .32-20, vs., say, a 9mm Camp rifle, or even the .45 ACP Camp rifle, or for that matter, a .357 Magnum in 1894. In some regions, the .25-20 would really be a nicer option, as well.

Basically (...are you reading this over my shoulder, honey...?) - you NEED to get at LEAST TWO of the above firearms, and do a comparison over several months of field experience (post photos of course). After that, get another TWO of the guns from the list, and compare them, using the same careful methods. After a couple of years of steady and diligent work, you may be able to discern which ONE of the guns you need the most. Some might say this is an extravagant way to 'study' the problem, but keep in mind, ALL the above firearms are Marlins, so it's not like you're just going out and buying ANY gun just on an excuse.