Replacing Rear Barrel Band - 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Replacing Rear Barrel Band - 336

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I'm thinking about replacing the rear barrel band on one of my 336's with the forearm cap. I'm confident I can do the conversion, but what do you do with the forward barrel band. Do you leave it in place or should I replace it and attach the magazine tube to the barrel like a cowboy model.

Does anybody have any pics of conversions they've done. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Replacing Rear Barrel Band - 336

Post by TomF »

Marlin has produced models with a forend cap and a forward barrel band.

Papalote
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

To do a proper job, you'll need to dovetail the barrel for the tenon that the forend cap screws thread into. As for the front ring, you can leave it in place -- this is the arrangement on all the Glenfield 30a's I've seen -- or, you can dovetail the barrel again and install the stud arrangement used on the 336SC and the old 336A's to secure the mag tube. Whichever you choose, that extra attachment point is necessary to make sure the magazine tube will never slide forward and part company with the rest of the rifle under recoil. I refuse to disclose how I know that this is true ...

I'm sure others will offer other solutions. Thought and careful application of hand tools may come up with several good options.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Changing from a carbine setup to a rifle configuration is tricky if you want to eliminate the front band. Carbine barrels are not a heavy as a rifle barrel, and getting a proper dovetail cut to install the bezel to attach the mag tube will mean leaving a very thin bit of metal on the bore. I personally would check with your gunsmith first before ordering parts to convert, as he may decide it's dangerously thin.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

marlinman93 wrote: I personally would check with your gunsmith first
I'm my own Gunsmith..! :lol: :mrgreen: Therefore if something gets messed up, there's just myself to blame, but thanks for the head-up.

I like the look of the 336A. I think I'll do that and leave the front barrel band on it since it would probably look stupid with a ramp style sight and no band.

Thanks for the help
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
marlinman93 wrote: I personally would check with your gunsmith first
I'm my own Gunsmith..! :lol: :mrgreen: Therefore if something gets messed up, there's just myself to blame, but thanks for the head-up.

I like the look of the 336A. I think I'll do that and leave the front barrel band on it since it would probably look stupid with a ramp style sight and no band.

Thanks for the help

Wont look stupid, unless you think all the 1895's & 444's look stupid. :wink: But like Vall said its much easier to leave the band be. The 1894's I think still have a band at the muzzle & a forend cap on the wood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A 336A didn't have barrel bands. If it has barrel bands it's a carbine or 336C or 336RC. The 336A had rifle forearm cap.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

double tap.
Last edited by Leverdude on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

marlinman93 wrote:A 336A didn't have barrel bands. If it has barrel bands it's a carbine or 336C or 336RC. The 336A had rifle forearm cap.
I think he means a newer one Val. I could sure be wrong but I think they produce or recently produced a birch stocked gun with a band up front & forendcap called 336A.

Here it is.