Suggestion for Improving the Forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kb466
Levergunner

Suggestion for Improving the Forum

Post by kb466 »

I have what I hope will be taken as a constructive suggestion for this forum. I certainly hope no one here takes offense at this. That being said, I notice that as many as four out of five posts on the forum are off-topic or have nothing to do with lever guns. It is often a chore to wade through the various unrelated topics to find a relevant post on lever rifles. Here is my suggestion: How about a new sub-section of the forum for off-topic discussion. I know there is a Politics sub-forum here, but how about expanding that or making a new sub-section for any topic unrelated to lever guns. Then lets make this area a lever guns only area.
...just a suggeston.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Suggestion for Improving the Forum

Post by Blaine »

:P Just Say No to uninteresting topics.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Agreed. We've hashed this out before. Bottom line, this is a social forum made up of people who admire and respect one another. We like to share our joys and sorrows, try to support one another in prayer, and lighten one another's load with humor. It is the combination of great on-topic posts as well as off-topic posts that make this the best forum on the web.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I like it just as it is. I have no problem whatsoever sorting through and reading what i want!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Works for me. Just put OT in front of your subject.

If we were to have another forum, I'd think a "technical" levergun forum would be more appropriate? For all of the specific to leverguns stuff - shooting, fixing, cleaning, gunsmithing, handloading, etc...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

took a little longer, but now we are back on schedule with "too many OT" posts. So long as they are marked OT, is easy to sort through the reading material. I like the variety
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's never been a problem for me. I like it just the way it is.
Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

kimwcook wrote:It's never been a problem for me. I like it just the way it is.
+1
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Me too.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I use the "VIEW NEW POSTS" exclusively to read what's here, and I'm very happy with it.

Hop over to Marlin Owners if you want to see what happens when you add too many sub forums.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This suggestion has come up a number of time and the folks here for the most part like the homogenous form and not the subsection form of other forums. And we have been told - it is going to stay that way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

You know how there was a thread about how many post someone should make before being allowed to sell something in the "Classifieds"?

Well, I think there should be a required number of post someone has to make before they can make suggestions about changes to the forum. Say, 500 Posts. Especially, OT: related changes.

Leave it as it is, put OT: in front of the OT: Subject Line and all's good.

Just my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I understand but it ain't happening. We can't get folks to post political posts in the politics forum and I'm sure not going to spend my time sorting and moving posts. It WOULD help if people could title their topics better, but I doubt that happens either! Everyone likes to type as they think (but that is a whole other topic). :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:You know how there was a thread about how many post someone should make before being allowed to sell something in the "Classifieds"?

Well, I think there should be a required number of post someone has to make before they can make suggestions about changes to the forum. Say, 500 Posts. Especially, OT: related changes.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: You think its bad now, you should of been here back in 03 when the format was totally different. :o Tiz a piece of cake to get past all the ot stuff now. :D
If you were to seperate down to the strictly leverguns stuff nowdays tho there wouldn't be much here.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We started off with one forum that contained everything, nice and cozy. That was OK but got cumbersome with WTS adds and so we added another forum for the classified.
Then when the election posts went nuts we added a political forum.

So we have all we need. We ain't gonna change it no more.

If somebody don't like our simple little community, they can go to The High Road[ or The Firing Line, they got lots of forums to read through.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Works for me. Just put OT in front of your subject....
Shouldn't this post have an "OT" in the subject line? :D
Well done is better than well said.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Jayhawker wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Works for me. Just put OT in front of your subject....
Shouldn't this post have an "OT" in the subject line? :D
Yes it should but evidently, the OP was so caught up in his excitement about posting a forum change suggestion after making only 19 posts since joining us that it completely slipped his mind. Nothing like making an OT: post to complain about OT: posts on the forum. :)

But that's OK!!! Plenty of whackos here -- me included!!!! :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jnyork wrote:
Me too.
Me three. Let's not tamper with it. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

claybob86 wrote:
jnyork wrote:
Me too.
Me three. Let's not tamper with it. :D
I'm with you guys!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Hold on fellas, and gals, let's not close our minds to ideas just because someone is new. There is plenty of room at the fire for new folks and for their ideas as well, I hope.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Warhawk wrote:I use the "VIEW NEW POSTS" exclusively to read what's here, and I'm very happy with it.

Hop over to Marlin Owners if you want to see what happens when you add too many sub forums.
Yep - I quit going there, because if you think it takes time to screen ONE page of "View active topics" - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/searc ... ive_topics, try going through MarlinOwners if you own a 444 Marlin, an 1894, a Guide Gun, and are interested in their .22 bolt guns, plus have an XLR in .35 Remington.

My 'vote' would be to keep the current format; the LACK of this format is what keeps me from logging on at all to the many forums out there who have overly fragmented things.

I LIKE to read the occasional post about making maple syrup, raising goats, sighting in a SA revolver, or welding. When I don't want those posts, I just skip over them.

Granted - "Leverguns" isn't for everyone - we have developed a sense of 'community' and share more than just the narrow aspect of our particular lever action passion. That is good, because the reality is that there is more to life than our particular hobby with the leverguns. It enriches all our lives a bit.

If a person wants strictly articles on lever action rifles of a particular make and model, I'd suggest that instead of using Leverguns, they simply 'Google' their preferences. Chances are, some of the articles are going to be on Levergunscommunity.com, but you'll be spared the agony of parsing through a page or two of "off topic" posts.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

This "OT" Horse has been dead for a few years now. Nothing like digging it up for a few more kicks though.

If you're looking for something specific... there's always the search engine...

If you're just browsing and don't want to deal with all the "OT" posts.... skip over the ones with "OT" or other words in the title that may allude to the notion that it's not leverguns related or pertinent to your likings.

It's worked well for me :wink:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It's fine the way it is. This forum is a lot more than just talking about leverguns. That's just the name of it.
NRA Life Member
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I'd rather read an OT post from one of the "family" here than the same newbie questions over and over, e.g., "What year did Winchester start using the rebounding hammer on their 94's?" Do a search, both here and on the net, before asking those type of questions, even if they are levergun related. I know I only post questions after I've exhausted attempts to find the info. Of course, that doesn't keep me from asking newbie type questions (of course, for many here who have seen everything under the sun, almost all questions have been asked and answered before), but I hope they have at least some substance and possible interest to others. If we restricted ourselves to levergun topics only, I think this would become a stagnant place very quickly. I, for one, enjoy the family and the campfire conversation.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ed I was thinking the # of posts should be 2627 for suggestions. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

This is a big site and getting bigger,and it cost money to run it,so way not org this site for different topic's and section, would' en this bring in more sponsor?
Hay ;Look what's posted on it now ! ha ha, all kind of stuff, I think the members on this site or the best on any site, and can draw in all types of sponsors by just by posting and doing articles on different topic's under the sections, just let the members suggest the sections, with the help of the good,noble and very brave site Boss's ,did i say bold. :D
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

just let the members suggest the sections, with the help of the good,noble and very brave site Boss's ,
If you've read this or the other "site change" threads, you can clearly see that the majority of members suggest keeping it as is.

I'll add that a lot of folks here have also spoken with their wallet.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 19#p162219
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

slow2run wrote:This is a big site and getting bigger,and it cost money to run it,so way not org this site for different topic's and section, would' en this bring in more sponsor?
Hay ;Look what's posted on it now ! ha ha, all kind of stuff, I think the members on this site or the best on any site, and can draw in all types of sponsors by just by posting and doing articles on different topic's under the sections, just let the members suggest the sections, with the help of the good,noble and very brave site Boss's ,did i say bold. :D
What did he just say????
ED
Yer never too old
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Modoc ED wrote:You know how there was a thread about how many post someone should make before being allowed to sell something in the "Classifieds"?

Leave it as it is, put OT: in front of the OT: Subject Line and all's good.

Just my .02¢

Nice Shot Ed!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

+1
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Modoc ED wrote:
slow2run wrote:This is a big site and getting bigger,and it cost money to run it,so way not org this site for different topic's and section, would' en this bring in more sponsor?
What did he just say????
Asking for an ESL forum?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Modoc ED wrote:
What did he just say????

Seems the stresses of the economy are in bloom. :wink: :)
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Well ed, what the hell did who say, I just replied to a members question as i have been doing on this site from 02, now you plan to stop me , you must be some water mitty type of member? :x
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Hay ED ; I have been wounded eight time, had two stokes, and one transplant and just wish i could get my hands on you now, mitty I have been on this site longer than you, I haven't posted that much, because I been out playing with out countries enemies. And if you think i"m go take some bull from some Navy AO your wrong.just keep up, and you will see what walk on water card is. :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

slow2run wrote:Hay ED ; I have been wounded eight time, had two stokes, and one transplant and just wish i could get my hands on you now, mitty I have been on this site longer than you, I haven't posted that much, because I been out playing with out countries enemies. And if you think i"m go take some bull from some Navy AO your wrong.just keep up, and you will see what walk on water card is. :lol:
s2r, no one is screwing with ya.....it's just the way you strung them words together, it didn't make a lick of sense....Sorry if my comment upset ya off..

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd like every post to be guns of some sort, but I don't have a problem if they aren't. I just browse through quickly and open what looks interesting.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

I like the forum but think it is too cluttered with everyone's list of interests and their guns. I like talking lever guns and hunting with them etc. With the new political environment I don't want every gun I own posted for all to see. Just my 2 cents worth.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it's a GENERAL DISCUSSION forum. I never understood how anything in a general discussion forum could be 'OFF TOPIC'. Seems like it could only be off topic if it wasn't general discussion, like the classified. Get my drift?

if it's NOT a GENERAL DISCUSSION, then it should be called whatever it really is, then the GENERAL DISCUSSION posts could be OT and then that would make sense.

otherwise someone will sign up and offer up valuable advice on how to fix it.

me, I love it just the way it is, even if everything in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum is actually general discussion, and not some secret other forum...... KWIM?

Grizz

:lol:
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

What really amazes me is the weird personal problems that people post. My goldfish died, my cat has the runs, my wife left me, my girlfriend is pregnant, my gout is acting up..... That is what family, friends, and neighbors are for. What did folks do before the internet forums?
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
kb466
Levergunner

Post by kb466 »

OK, Ok, I hear you all. You want it to stay the same. Being the original poster and the one with the original suggestion I was afraid some would see it as a complaint, rather than a suggestion. Yes, I don't have a lot of posts here in the new forum, and I guess I did not identify my post as off topic, but it was still just a suggestion--- I wasn't meaning to come across as complaining. And seeing that this is the way people here want to keep it, I'll live with it.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I like it the way it is. Variety is the spice of life and the variety here is downright fascinating.It is easy for me to sort through the threads,I consider it part of the fun.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

airedaleman +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kb466 -

Seems like ya posted yer suggestion, got put through the wash, tumbled in the dryer and came out smelling like a rose. Enjoy the forum. I for one am glad yer here. Welcome.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

General Discussion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

I believe those are Paco Kelly's words.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Modoc ED wrote:kb466 -

Seems like ya posted yer suggestion, got put through the wash, tumbled in the dryer and came out smelling like a rose. Enjoy the forum. I for one am glad yer here. Welcome.
+1! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like it the way it is format-wise.

However I think there is way too much crying going on for a forum of tough, independent, gun-totin' he-men. If I want a good cry I'll log on to www.irs.gov.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."