OT - Do we have any .410 fans out here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Do we have any .410 fans out here?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was in the local Wally-World yesterday checking to see if they had any bricks of .22's (none, zip, nada, zilch, diddly-squat, etc., etc.). A friend and coworker of mine is thinking about getting a 12-gauge pump for home defense, so I asked to see the Mossberg 500 they had in the rack. $207 NIB - hard to beat. Turned out that this one was a .410. The counter lady said they normally have them also in 20 and 12 gauge, and would have them in again soon at the same price.

It got me to thinking. I don't own a .410, and always thought the svelte little round looked like it would be fun to shoot. I know the ammuniton runs about 2x of what 12's and 20's typically cost. For any forum members who have one, do you like it? What do you use it for?

Trying to resist temptation... :wink:
Hobie

Re: OT - Do we have any .410 fans out here?

Post by Hobie »

If you re-load, it is MUCH cheaper to reload. Fun to shoot, effective for the experienced thinking shooter, and easy to tote. I'm not such a good shotgunner that I love the .410 for wing shooting, the 28 ga. is about my minimum, but it is usable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Arjunky and I both have a 410 as you walk into our houses

uses: flying rats and crows and anything that walks or crawls on the ground in the yard.

when you absolutly, positivily, can not let it get away bring out the 410 keep shooting in the tall grass till you know its dead!

rafter-7

oohh and the wife liks to shoot it too.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

There's just something neat about the 410.....speaks to me of the Greatest Generation who often survived with such a shotgun or a 22. You'll have to accept the added challenge if shooting birds on the wing or rabbits/squirrels that are farther out. You'll have to get closer. One of my Grandmother's favorite stories was when she found a 410 out in the Mojave Desert, on their migration from Oklahoma to California during the Depression. They walked off the road and it was just laying there. Sixty+ years later and she was still excited about finding that gun.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

I have been shooting a 410 for many years. It has ben great fun shooting small game with it. I do hand load for it to save money, you get like 20 boxes of ammo from a 25lb bag of shot! If you shoot the 3" shell it is a good killer at closer ranges. It can also shoot slugs for bigger critters.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I liked my 9410... and really need to get a little Handi or some such to continue my .410 experiments.

I would also like to shoot a Marlin .410 to see if it feeds better than the 9410. IMO you could do a lot worse than a well-tweaked .410 lever overbored to .429 with removable chokes so you can shoot .444 out of it...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have shot and hunted with my old Winchester Model 42 for years. That little gem has accounted for countless doves, ducks, pheasant, quaill, and all sorts of other game and vermin. Once in a while I take it to the duck blind where it always accounts for all the Green Wing Teal I can hit. Many folks forget that the diminutive .410 has the same range as the larger guages, but a MUCH smaller shot column. 'Ya gotta be a good wingshot to take advantage of that fun little shell. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

I have a single shot .410 that I love. I usually hunt squirrels with it, but have taken a few doves too. I like it because it's lightweight / nice to carry. And it seems like it would be a decent survival gun ( mine breaks down, ammo is more compact ). The ammo is expensive but I just wait on deals / rebates. Also the best factory loads I've found for squirrel are the 3" , 11/16 oz shells. Also, Winchester makes a 3" , 3/4 oz load that seems to work well. In fact the only time I've killed two squirrels w/ one shot was with that .410. I was close though ( 10-15 yds ).........

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've had a .410 on and off since I was thirteen, excellent little gauge for Squirrels and Doves, I've taken quite a few close range Foxes with a .410 too!
Most .410s are too tightly choked and over here it can be difficult to get anything but #6 and #5 shot. I prefer Modified choke and #7s.
The only .410 I have now is my Savage 24.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I personally would not pay as much as $50.00 for a .410 shotgun.

IMO they are pretty worthless for anything other than busting clay birds and killing snakes, and a .44 SPL or RemMag case full of #9 Shot does just as well as a .410.

And I don't think it is worth cussing as a home defense shotgun. You have half an ounce of small shot that doesn't have enough energy to penetrate a good leather coat, or you can use a 3 pellet buckshot load that is nothing to brag about, or you can get a slugh which weighs 90 grains and travels at around 1600- 1900 fps.

Nope I am most certainly not a fan of the .410 Waste of Wood and Steel.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Can you get all brass shells for them?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep. Magtech (CBC) sells them. ID is too big for slug, but they actually hold more shot than plastic hulls.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

its looks like real fun shooting trap and skeet
with the 410...and you better be dead on too....
and what Hobie said! you better reload
410 and 28 ga are to darn $$$$$
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

If you're going to pay through the nose for sub gauge shotgun shells, the 28 is a helluva lot better shell than the .410 is (28 ga. factory loads range from 3/4 to 1 oz of shot, and if you reload you can drop down to 5/8 oz or 11/16 oz of shot and make your 28ga a 3" .410). If it wasn't for skeet, the .410 would have died off a long time ago. And skeet shooters don't even buy .410 guns anymore, they put full length tubes in a 12 or 20 gauge so they can shoot .410 shells in it.

.410.... don't choke tighter than Modified, don't use shot larger than #6 (#8 and #9 are best), keep your shots within 20 to 25 yards, and don't go after too big of an animal.

~Michael
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I shoot .410 out of my 16ga damascus double using "Guage Mate" chamber liners.

The chamber liners hold all the ignition pressure and once the shot hits the humongus overbore of the 16ga the rest goes away too.

Pattern is useful out to 25yds but that's it. Fun to drag out though.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I have a STEVENS bolt action that is great for squirrels,I use #4 shot.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My imput.
Fox's, squirls, rabbits, crows ,rats, dogs, woodcock, ducks, partridge, pheasants and canada geese have been taken with my 410s over the years.
Stay this side of 25yds and only slightly choked.
Stick to 71/2 - 8s.
For close up big stuff load three .395 balls on top of some 2400 or h4227.
Don't buy English ammo!
Your children will enjoy it with some hand thrown clays :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I gave a .410 MEC press that was in the box along with the 12 and 20 gauges presses I picked up in a "three-for" deal once.
If I was still shooting skeet a lot I'd be looking for a shotgun to go with the press. You need to have a near perfect wing shot to be effective... and I think the shot strings quickly if you get just a little bit out of range with one.

My Uncle's opinion of the .410... he felt the 410 as a first gun turned too many kids against shotgun sports cause it was just too hard to hit with it.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I love my 410"s I have 2 of them, a 22/410 over-under, and a side-by-side H&R external hammered gun that weighs less then 5 LBS,it is actually marked 44cal. but it works over my german shorthair pointer and pen raised birds.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 in .410. I still have it, but for years I just ignored it in favor of larger bores. A while back, I was looking for the perfect Jeep gun. I had carried an AR-7 around in my Jeep for years. But, I thought something a bit more authoritative would be better. Well, I ended up shortening the barrel, and replacing the butt stock and fore end. Added sling swivels, and one of those butt stock ammo carriers. Broken down it fits into a nice roll about 19" long. It takes about as long to attach the barrel, and butt stock as it did to assemble the AR-7. With everything from small shot to slugs available, it's worked out very well. A bit heavier than the AR-7, and it doesn't float (though I never tried that one), but push come to shove, I think a .410 would be a better small game getter, and it sure would be better against that rampaging grizzly we all here so much about. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm not really much of a shotgun fan, but I've got a couple old Marlin 410's from around 1930, and I shoot the heck out of the user one! I've taken a lot of game with it, and even took it out to shoot trap for fun, and did pretty well with it there too. It's just one of those guns and calibers that feels perfect to me!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i prefer the .28 gauge for things that fly.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Christmas 1962...I am 8 years old and already a pretty darn good shot with my pellet rifle. My mom and dad had a small grocery store/filling station/feed store in very rural Texas. I wanted a shotgun in the worse way. No money for something like that in the family. Somehow daddy had gotten a semi-auto .22 WMR rifle in a swap for feed/gasoline. He took it to the hardware store/gun shop and traded for a Stevens Model 940A .410 and 4 boxes of shells. Well old Santa Claus shows up in the night and the next morning there is a long slender box wrapped in brown paper under the cedar tree. No name on it.....well after opening the new socks, hard candy and fruit I was just about wild to see what was in the two other boxes. Sure enough it was my new shotgun and shells. I wanted to shoot it right then. Well Christmas Dinner (Lunch for my yankee buddies) took forever. Finally daddy said lets step out to the back pasture...he showed me how to break open, close, cock the hammer and let it down safely. He handed it to me with 5 shells and said shoot the wood shed. I did exactly what he told me to do. He then told me that I could kill nothing unless I was willing to eat it. He also said don't shoot your brother or yourself....well 47 years later I still shoot it along with the Stevens 311 and Mossberg bolt .410 I have aquired over the years. Doves, quail, rabbit, hogs, tree rats, snakes, ducks and bull frogs have all felt the Stevens sting. My son has used it and my grandson son will. It means more to me that anything else in the gun cabinet. A side note, the owner of the hardware store would take my rabbit pelts and trade me shells for my shotgun....I really thought I was a pelt trader. At my grandpaws funeral 38 years later he told me that papaw would pay him for the shells and he would throw those rabbit pelts away. Being a kid was way different back then.....

jumbeaux
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jumbeaux wrote:... A side note, the owner of the hardware store would take my rabbit pelts and trade me shells for my shotgun....I really thought I was a pelt trader. At my grandpaws funeral 38 years later he told me that papaw would pay him for the shells and he would throw those rabbit pelts away. ...
Aye... but you WERE doing a public service by helping keep the rabbit population in check... which doesn't reasonate with with a kid quite as well I suppose...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jumbeaux wrote:Christmas 1962...I am 8 years old and already a pretty darn good shot with my pellet rifle. My mom and dad had a small grocery store/filling station/feed store in very rural Texas. I wanted a shotgun in the worse way. No money for something like that in the family. Somehow daddy had gotten a semi-auto .22 WMR rifle in a swap for feed/gasoline. He took it to the hardware store/gun shop and traded for a Stevens Model 940A .410 and 4 boxes of shells. Well old Santa Claus shows up in the night and the next morning there is a long slender box wrapped in brown paper under the cedar tree. No name on it.....well after opening the new socks, hard candy and fruit I was just about wild to see what was in the two other boxes. Sure enough it was my new shotgun and shells. I wanted to shoot it right then. Well Christmas Dinner (Lunch for my yankee buddies) took forever. Finally daddy said lets step out to the back pasture...he showed me how to break open, close, cock the hammer and let it down safely. He handed it to me with 5 shells and said shoot the wood shed. I did exactly what he told me to do. He then told me that I could kill nothing unless I was willing to eat it. He also said don't shoot your brother or yourself....well 47 years later I still shoot it along with the Stevens 311 and Mossberg bolt .410 I have aquired over the years. Doves, quail, rabbit, hogs, tree rats, snakes, ducks and bull frogs have all felt the Stevens sting. My son has used it and my grandson son will. It means more to me that anything else in the gun cabinet. A side note, the owner of the hardware store would take my rabbit pelts and trade me shells for my shotgun....I really thought I was a pelt trader. At my grandpaws funeral 38 years later he told me that papaw would pay him for the shells and he would throw those rabbit pelts away. Being a kid was way different back then.....

jumbeaux
Wonderfull :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

More a novelty than a practicality, but my .410's a 1915 BSA SMLE which was modified in India in 1930 from .303 to .410 single shot. Now chambered for up to 3" shells, it's fun to pop away with on occasion. Even managed to bust a few clay pigeons with it. It seems to prefer 2-1/2" slug shells over the 3-inchers.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

jumbeaux wrote:Christmas 1962...I am 8 years old and already a pretty darn good shot with my pellet rifle. My mom and dad had a small grocery store/filling station/feed store in very rural Texas. I wanted a shotgun in the worse way. No money for something like that in the family. Somehow daddy had gotten a semi-auto .22 WMR rifle in a swap for feed/gasoline. He took it to the hardware store/gun shop and traded for a Stevens Model 940A .410 and 4 boxes of shells. Well old Santa Claus shows up in the night and the next morning there is a long slender box wrapped in brown paper under the cedar tree. No name on it.....well after opening the new socks, hard candy and fruit I was just about wild to see what was in the two other boxes. Sure enough it was my new shotgun and shells. I wanted to shoot it right then. Well Christmas Dinner (Lunch for my yankee buddies) took forever. Finally daddy said lets step out to the back pasture...he showed me how to break open, close, cock the hammer and let it down safely. He handed it to me with 5 shells and said shoot the wood shed. I did exactly what he told me to do. He then told me that I could kill nothing unless I was willing to eat it. He also said don't shoot your brother or yourself....well 47 years later I still shoot it along with the Stevens 311 and Mossberg bolt .410 I have aquired over the years. Doves, quail, rabbit, hogs, tree rats, snakes, ducks and bull frogs have all felt the Stevens sting. My son has used it and my grandson son will. It means more to me that anything else in the gun cabinet. A side note, the owner of the hardware store would take my rabbit pelts and trade me shells for my shotgun....I really thought I was a pelt trader. At my grandpaws funeral 38 years later he told me that papaw would pay him for the shells and he would throw those rabbit pelts away. Being a kid was way different back then.....

jumbeaux
Great story. Things WERE different...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hillbilly wrote:My Uncle's opinion of the .410... he felt the 410 as a first gun turned too many kids against shotgun sports cause it was just too hard to hit with it.

Your Uncle and I are in complete agreement!

I credit a crummy old Stevens bolt-action .410 for my lack of interest in shotguns for over twenty years. I'm still not as good with a shotgun as I should be.

Doc
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

.410's engender more love/hate than any other round.

I think they rule (top gun)!

Last edited by Bullet Bob on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I love the 410. It is woefully inefficient in the hands of a beginner or amateur. An experienced shooter with an appreciation for the range limitations can apply it with enough skill to be modestly successful. It is great on squirrels ( I use #6 shot) and I shoot some quail and dove every year "just because" (using #8). I am going to let me son shoot a 3" load of #6's for turkey hunting this year. I can get them to within 10 yards of the blind and I will help him keep the bead on the neck. This caliber shotgun is also handy for snakes and for fish. We headshoot catfish when they surface and roll and it works pretty darn good. I use it more as a novelty than for anything serious but when I do my part with consideration to game and range it works quite well!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

My Great Grandpa gave me a single shot Mossberg bolt action .410 when I was 12 or13. My first gun. Shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with that gun and a few quail too. Still have it, but haven't shot it in years. I think I need too!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I won't want to bore anyone here but, if One gets a decent gun well stocked in the .410 and shoots it a lot, He can embarrass a lot of shooters with large bore shotguns. and have fun doing it. when a snob throwes his gun in the car and storms off,then You know they hate the .410. :) .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Contender pistol in .45Colt/.410 is fun, and I occasionally manage to hit a clay bird with it.

My son (he was way better at 11 years old than I'll ever be at it) could hit them consistently with a breakopen .410 shotgun.

If I were to get one now, it would be a Taurus 'Judge' revolver. I think as a hard-to-grab, maneuverable, non-over-penetrating in-house defense gun it would be good. I'd probably use steel shot loads then a couple jacketed .45 Colts for good measure. Kind of a 'Mini-Stryker' shotgun.

Definitely cheaper to reload for; the little I've ever shot I just used the little Lee Kit (the 'original' - not their 'Load All).

I haven't fired any .410 shells in my .444, but I've heard that is possible (maybe not 'sensible').
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

I have two .410's one double barrel and one 870 pump, I love going out and shooting with the 410 they are great fun guns shoot.
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - saw prices on shells at the gun show this last weekend, and "2-3x" wasn't even close!

Still, this little fellow is speaking to me... if I can find funds! :D
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Wow - saw prices on shells at the gun show this last weekend, and "2-3x" wasn't even close!

Still, this little fellow is speaking to me... if I can find funds! :D
Me too, YK! All I have to do is scrape up $209.95 and it's off to WalMart...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I began my duck and pheasant hunting with a .410 side by side double barrel shotgun when I was seven years old (1933) and, has been mentioned, that required precise shooting and range recognition, so that, later in life, I could shoot skeet acceptably well to not embarrass myself in my Navy service. We had a good number of both ducks and pheasants in the Sandhills of western Nebraska.

At that age, I was also given a .410 pistol by one of my dad's friends - only to find the following year the ATF, in their wisdom, felt that single shot no choke .410 pistol with a 12" barrel and only chamdered for a 2 1/2 inch shell - was in the same class of dangerous weapons such as the Thompson Submachine Gun requiring registration under the NFA - with $200 1934 dollars regisstration fee - a lot of money then.

It is the most expensive gift I've ever received and I had to list a reason for having such a "weapon" - I said I was a "gun collector" - I was almost eight years old!

Interestingly enough, even though it has been reclassified as a "curio & relic", the BATFE, in all their wisdom, refuses to remove that gun from the prohibited list. Not only that - there is no legal way to register it today and if you are caught possessing an unregistered one, the fine is $10,000. Interesting, since there are ways to register other NFA guns such as the "Tommy Gun" - expensive, but possible.

:evil: :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thank you OJ and Jumbeaux.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

.45colt wrote:I won't want to bore anyone here but, if One gets a decent gun well stocked in the .410 and shoots it a lot, He can embarrass a lot of shooters with large bore shotguns. and have fun doing it. when a snob throwes his gun in the car and storms off,then You know they hate the .410. :) .
Yep! I chalked up 21 ruffed grouse and 6 blue grouse with my 410 O/U last season :mrgreen:

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I really did sell jackrabbit pelts for 25 cents a piece when I was a kid.