OT...I need a compassionate ear tonite....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

OT...I need a compassionate ear tonite....

Post by Mokwaw »

...went out this morning and found my good bud laying in the snow with his throat ripped out and belly torn open. I'm speaking of my dog, Snuffy. The wife gave him to me for my 50th birthday, that's almost 8 yrs ago. He was a beagle and a friend to me, always met me at the porch when I come home from work. The part I am really having trouble with is when he needed me, I wasn't there to help. Looks like tracks from a larger dog(s), but could have been a pack of coyotes. doesn't really matter I guess, he's gone. Well I just needed to get that off my mind, crying again so thanks for listening, and send up a prayer for my wife and I, we already miss him greatly. Thanks.....Rich
UNITE
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT...I need a compassionate ear tonite....

Post by J Miller »

Rich,

I know how you are feeling. I've lost very personal furry friends too. I don't know where you are, city or not, but hopefully you'll be able to effect some revenge on the killers in due time.
Hang in there, get the crying over with and remember the good times you had with Snuffy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That's sad, sorry to hear about your loss, thoughts and prayers with you.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sorry man , nothing can replace a dog. lost mine nov99 and still wake up expecting him to need to go out. He used ride on the back of my bicycle for 10 years. Didnt ride for 18 days afterwards. I keep thinking about all dogs ou t there needing someone to walk them. So I volunteer at animal shelters.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

An awful way to lose a friend. I grieve with you. He'll be waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Sorry, I lost a couple of great dogs myself, but not in that way. I don't know whether to tell you to seek them out or let it go. Everyone is different. Good luck whatever you decide.
"That'll Be The Day"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i am very sorry to hear that. I hope the pain eases soon for you. may it be replaced with the warm memories and joy your pup gave you. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thoughts and condolences... :(
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

They certainly become part of one's family, and their loss hurts very much to those who show animals love and kindness. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry to hear, that's a tough one.
NRA Life Member
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sorry to hear that! Kind of funny how much a dogs death can get to you. It must be their loyalty and constant yearning to please the master that earns them such high regards.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to one of my dogs, they are my kids. You have my deepest sympathy.

And you should know that Snuffy is waiting for you with lots of love and forgiveness at the Rainbow Bridge.

It might not be good theology but it sure is comforting.

God Bless you, your wife and Snuffy.

Doc

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine,
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old
are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them
in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content,
except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them,
who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent.
His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group,
flying over the green grass,
his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown..
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I am so sad for you and your loss.

ImageImage

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Godbless :( .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang..........God Bless Y'all..........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Thanks for sharing, And I learned some years ago it is shure nuff ok for a grown man to cry . That reason is God gave us tears, for relief . I too as others have said lost good animal friends . Maybe somewhere down the road God will ask you to care another one of his friends. After many pets have come and gone in my home I feel very blessed . .

God Bless Mutt
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

So sorry for your loss. Personally, I'd get my reckoning. Coyotes or a pack of running dogs don't need to be running around killing other dogs or animals.
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I'm saddened by the loss of your friend. I remember taking my childhood dog of 14 years to the vet to have him put down when I was 24 and it just makes me sad to think of you losing your best bud :(
Blesssings
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

now you know why you have all those leverguns
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear that.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

So sorry to hear that, I know how you feel have had heaps of good dogs, we need to get you a new dog I'll pitch in just let me know where to send a few dollars, when you get your new Beagle get him a buddy buy him an Irish Wolfhound and nothing will ever touch your dog again. And I not joking about the new dog, just let me know.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

WOW. What a terrible way to find him. I'm sorry. I'm sure he was brave. Beagles are tough dogs. I'd love to pitch in to gift y'all a dog.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Our condolences...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rich sorry to hear about your loss. If you need a hand going after the critter that did this let me know and I'll come give ya a hand.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Thank you every one for your condolences and offers of help. I stood watch with shotgun most of the night until I could no longer keep my eyes open, hoping they would return. Nothing showed, and there were no fresh tracks when I checked the scene a few minutes ago. We called and warned the neighbors around yestarday to be watchful of their animals. One of the neighbors is getting a party together tomorrow for another coyote drive. The ground is frozen so hard I can't dig a grave, so we are going to cremate, send my bud off as a Viking warrior, which kind of fits cause our local high school sports teams call themselves the Huntington Vikings. My ole bud was very vigilant about guarding his territory and letting us know when something wasn't right. Thanks again for all your compassion. Rich
UNITE
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The part about 'not being able to be there' is what touched me the most, but unless you live outside with them, you just can't be there always.

I doubt the dog felt 'let down' though - I just don't think they think that way. We project that on them because it's the way WE feel.

He's in doggy heaven - send him a coyote spirit to have another go round with - maybe next time he'll win...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very sorry to hear Rich....that's a hard one. :(
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sorry to hear about your buddy Snuffy. I know the feeling. It's just terrible. I've got some dogs that have gone over to the other side. They'll take care of him. I'll say a prayer for Snuffy.
ED
Yer never too old
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My 2nd best friend died a couple years ago. My wife is my 1st best friend. The friend I'm talking about wasn't a working dog, just a pet. But she knew what time I got home from work and her job was to bark and alert everyone I had arrived. I got her when she was about 4 months old (a present for my wife) and paid $200.00 per pound for her; she was a runt Miniature Dachshund. Actually she was my wife's dog, but we paled around together. I could put her in the pocket of my coveralls. Long story short; when she got old her back really gave her problems and she couldn't walk too much so I'd carry her outside to pee. Organs started failing. Worst day I can remember was when I said OK to the Vet to put her asleep. I hated myself for weeks for doing that.

So, I understand your loss; how a small animal can kinda "complete" out lives. I believe in a "Doggy Heaven" so me, my wife and Annie will be together again one day, Praising our Savior. Hang in there, the grief subsides with time (never really stop missing them though).

God Bless,
Mike
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry for your lose.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Good idea Jeremy... You & Me pop over to Huntington grab Rich and we'll have half a Squad for a proper S&D mission... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Mokwaw
Sorry to hear about your loss and yes in time you will get over the loss but never the way it happened. You most likely will never know what really did it but something you can do is to one day get another pet and keep them in the house at night. I live in NM and we don't leave anything out at night that isn't big enough to take care of itself like a person with a gun and that is no guarantee as some of our vermin walk around on two legs. We have coyotes, lions the mountain kind, bears and wild dogs to watch out for. When you go out into the country on foot or not in a vehicle it is a good idea to have something with you that spits brass or lead.
I have lost lots of pets over the years and I remember most of them from time to time. I had a cat that was a good pet to me that got diabetes and he lived with it for 3 more years. I have another cat that has been with me for a long time and we have gone through a lot of hard times and still we can comfort each other. I have 3 dogs now and one a chi is my shadow and she has almost be stolen twice once when I forgot and left her outside and she started following the truck down the road someone came up behind me and stopped and opened the car door trying to get her and I put the truck in reverse and backed up at about 60mph and skidded to a stop real close to the car the folks inside couldn't shut the door fast enough and got out of the way real fast. My lady got into dad's arm and wouldn't stop shaking for quite awhile so they scared her good. Now she is left in the house until the truck is out of sight or she is in the cab with dad. the other two steal lap time when they can as they are outside dogs until dark then they come in so I know they are safe.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:Good idea Jeremy... You & Me pop over to Huntington grab Rich and we'll have half a Squad for a proper S&D mission... :twisted:
Sounds like a plan to me. I work Huntington now so it is nothing for me to get over there to lend a hand.

Rich I sent you a P.M.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

First time in I can't remember when I wanted to be east of the Canadian river.
I would like to get some for Snuffy.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

kimwcook wrote:So sorry for your loss. Personally, I'd get my reckoning. Coyotes or a pack of running dogs don't need to be running around killing other dogs or animals.

AMEN!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I know the pain. I just prayed for your comfort and peace.

God Bless,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Sorry to hear about Snuffy
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

thats a bad day all around.

~J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats real sad and a shock, sorry friend.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I'm sorry to hear that. Just saw the note this afternoon. I heard of someone who had the same thing happen. Only it was a non-existent overgrown kitty cat that did it. The DOW refused to admit that such was in the area. Two dogs went down, one like your's and the other so badly injured they had to put him down. Next day the "figment of imagination" was standing over the dog dish, cleaning up what they'd left. One shot and a backhoe job later and the DOW was right. There was no such critter around. I sure hope you get a chance to even the score.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

AmBraCol
Sounds like you where lucky to have a backhoe handy most of us can't afford one of them so we would need a large shovel and some strong backs to get it done. ha ha
If one of my critters was mauled by a lion and we have them here and I like cats it had better not make the mistake of letting me see it as it just might have to have some lead vitamins to help it along.
It is so strange the natural resource people get stuck in the mindset that a certain animal couldn't be in a certain area because they haven't been there for a hundred years or so.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry Man. That's gotta hurt.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I am very sorry to hear that.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I am very sorry and sad to hear of your loss. I know you gave your little bud lots of love and happiness, and so do remember the good times. While we are all different in our response to such things, I think I personally would make
getting the dangerous critter(s) that did this, my mission in life. It would help save some other family (perhaps even children) from going through the same grief, and whatever it is might actually BE a hazard to small children. Our latest
incident near here was 2 roaming pit bulls that killed a family pet. Needless to say, neighborhood is watching for them to reappear...

Prayers sent for you, the missus and for Snuffy. I will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Sincerely,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

John in Ms
I don't like pit bulls and have never seen or found one that I would allow my kids or me. They have been trained to fight and I just haven't seen one that isn't a fighter. Had some come after me once and the owner came out just in time as I was reaching for my lead pill dispenser. Never thought when this thread started that it could of been a pit bull but it sure fits the way that snuffy was mauled.
I remember when as a teenager I took work on a sheep farm because work was slow on the dairy farm I usually worked on and a pack of wild dogs went after the sheep what a mess. The boss wanted to know if my dad let me have guns and I told him that I had a few and that day late in the afternoon I went in among the sheep with my winchester 30-30 and a big pocket full of bullets. Just about dark the dogs came down over the hill and towards the sheep when they got maybe 100 feet away I got up on my knees and dealt with them the sheep just kept eating around me. The boss said that when I opened up he had just finished counting 30 dogs well 20 didn't get away and the ten that did 4 of them made the mistake of coming back later that night for easy pickens and i got them in the moon light. But that was back when I could see and the cold night air didn't bother me. We didn't have any real problems after that with dogs.
My best friend lost a calf to dogs and the county sheriff came over one night and we got rid of a lot of them and most had tags that he returned to the owners with the request for a check which they all paid. He gave the checks to my buddies dad to pay for the damage done by the dogs. We shot them at night also and a few of the neighbors wondered what was going on until they called someone in the area that had been told we were going to be hunting. Not one of the dogs that were close to the barn we where shooting out of came around the barn even when loose, they had no interest in the cows. calfs or anything except woodchucks they would go after them without out even thinking of where they were.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Five days to a five day coyote hunt...I'll take out a bit of revenge for you.