Are there any gunsmiths who specialize in Savage 99's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Are there any gunsmiths who specialize in Savage 99's?

Post by mergus »

Hello all. Last year when my 84 year old mother in law died, we found a rusty Savage 99E in .308 amongst her things. It's birch stock had a piece busted off both the butt and forend, but the bore was remarkably clean and well preserved. I bought a box of Remington's reduced recoil 125 gr bullets and found that while I could load one bullet and fire the gun, when I tried to load more than one bullet, something in side is apparently broken and the cartidges all come flying out the top.

My goal is to refinish this gun from top to bottom. I've ordered replacement walnut stocks from Cabela's and have finished what minor work was necessary to final fit the butt stock to the action. The forend is next.

What I'd like to do is send the barrelled action away to somebody who knows what they are doing and have them not only fix the feeding issue, but also give the gun a once over to see if anything else needs professional attention. After that I am going to try my hand at refinishing the metal work.

So, can anybody reccommend a gunsmith who knows Savage 99's?
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Hobie

Re: Are there any gunsmiths who specialize in Savage 99's?

Post by Hobie »

I don't know anybody who specializes in 99s... It might help to know what state you're in to make a recommendation.

You can also ask at the 24-hour Campfire Savage forum...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

You might find something on this site too.

http://www.savage99.com/
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

They are not that complicated, I am working on .358 Win. 99 right now.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I've heard Bain & Davis in the Los Angeles area do good work.
Haven't used them yet tho.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

See article in Gun Digest 2009 re. Savage 99 gunsmith.Article is " The Overlooked Savage 99". Gunsmith is Doug Wells, "Lock, Stock,&Barrel" P.O. Box 46034, Huson , Montana 59846.I have no personal experience but at least its a lead. If had a rifle needing work and the money to spend, I'd give the guy a try.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A group of three friends who enjoy Savage 99's were talking at the gun show yesterday about Doug Wells. Two of them said he did some action work on thier 99's to slick them up and tune the triggers. Both were 99's from the 1960's I believe. They spoke pretty highly of his work. I was sort of the odd man out listening to these guys talk Savages, but they were all pretty excited about the 1899/99 Savages.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Guys, thank you all very much.

Hobie, thanks for the tip about the Campfire Savage site. I'm in Vermont. Its funny, but for a state that has a pretty healthy gun culture, there are few decent gunsmiths.

I've seen ads in some of my gun magazines for Lock, Stock and Barrel. I'll contact him to get an idea of what this particular problem may entail.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

Mergus
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Before sending it off anywhere, be sure that the cartridge cut-off in the left side of the receiver isn't frozen. Given your comment that the rifle was pretty neglected, it may well be that the cut-off is stuck, allowing the magazine to spew out its contents.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Airedaleman, thank you ever so much for that tip. Owing to my complete and total lack of knowledge about this particular model gun, I was not aware what what a cartridge cut off is/was. So I got out my 25 year old copy of the NRA Guidebook to Shoulder Arms to see what a cartridge cutoff is. And there in the exploded view is a spring that SHOULD be behind the cutoff. Now I know what that piece is that keeps flopping back and forth.

Now to find a spring.....

Thanks again.

Mergus
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

mergus wrote:Airedaleman, thank you ever so much for that tip. Owing to my complete and total lack of knowledge about this particular model gun, I was not aware what what a cartridge cut off is/was. So I got out my 25 year old copy of the NRA Guidebook to Shoulder Arms to see what a cartridge cutoff is. And there in the exploded view is a spring that SHOULD be behind the cutoff. Now I know what that piece is that keeps flopping back and forth.

Now to find a spring.....

Thanks again.

Mergus

De nada, mi amigo.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I had Mazys in AZ rebarrel two of my 99's ...
a 99E from 308 to 358win and a 99F 308 to 7mm-08
and the work was clean and professional. and TIMELY ..
most gunsmiths these days are anything but timely ..

http://www.mazys.com/

oh don't be put off by the fact they also sell cigars
they are good smiths too ..

Talon
Mauser98Maniac
Levergunner

Post by Mauser98Maniac »

i've never posted on a forum before so please excuse me if i get it wrong. I have a Savage 99 (1915) in 303 Savage and the gun is a mess.The action however,is still good and feeds 7-30 waters like it was made for it.I'm willing to spend considerable cash to build a custom 7-30 Waters lever gun and feel the rotary magazine would be just the ticket(otherwise,i would've built a Marlin).Can someone please tell me who i can trust with the barrel work(and maybe more of the work) ?
Thank You !