OT- Now this is an aircraft

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Now this is an aircraft

Post by Rusty »

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm

Watching this brings tears to my eyes. If you're interested in aviation you should read the book "The Skunkworks" by Ben Rich.

Ben was the understudy of Kelly right up until the end. Kelly had a stroke only weeks before the SR-71 was finished. On the day the SR-71 took it's maiden voyage Kelly was brought to the airfield by a driver so he could watch it take off, but he died before the plane was ever put into full use.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Now this is an aircraft

Post by rjohns94 »

mostest kewl
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thanks for that, I have seen it before and spent countless hours guarding it as a lockheed guard. I was a guard for 35 years on it and many others from 1965 to 2000. I brushed shoulders with kelly johnson, ben ritch and all our pilots that flew it. It is even more than they can say. I had to stand by on many takeoffs and landings and never got tired of that. Although I did get tired of 12 hour nights sitting on it!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is one awesome aircraft.
I was at Lockheeds in Palmdale for a couple of weeks in the 70's working on the Tristar engines and saw both the U-2 and SR-71 take off on the same day, I will never forget how quickly the Blackbird disappeared from sight on that perfectly clear day.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That is an incredible bird.
NRA Life Member
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I think you are incorrect in the statement about Kelly. You may be referring to the end of the rein of the blackbird or it's final flight. Clarence "Kelly" Johnson died December 21, 1990.

Few people know about the bomber and fighter versions of the plane that were never put into production (at least that we know of :wink: the YB-12 & YF-12 respectably). Both were so far ahead of the current state of the art in 1964 it was quite the scandal that they were canceled before production(the YF-12B the production version was canceled by our good friend of the military, "really need a sarcastic smilie" McNamara) and the tooling to make them ordered destroyed by congress.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Way ahead of its time.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:mostest kewl
Yep, for sure and for certain.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Buff boy you might be right about my memory and Kelly's death, but Ben Rich made a big deal in the book about Kelly being brought out to the flight line by a driver on the day the first flight was made. My memory might not be up to snuff on that. As I recall he was out of the program from that point on though.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

WOW :shock:

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

How'd you like to 'hit the gas pedal' on THAT machine.....!

Talk about leaving the others in the dust!

OTOH - I'd not want to pay for an hour's worth of gas...

It would be cool to see video of the thing moving rather than still shots.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I started working for lockheed in Burbank calif as a guard april of 1965. I retired with #1 badge january 2000. The first 4 years I worked burbank then transferred to plant 42 in palmdale. Burbank was the main lockheed plant and most flight testing was done at palmdale. Due to enviorment restrictions everything was moved to palmdale by the late 1970s. I saw Kelly Johnson a lot in Burbank 1965 untill I transferred to palmdale in 69. Never seen him that I recall after that. I worked about 32 years out of my 35 on graveyard. The money on graveyard was far better than 1st and 2nd shifts and was more laid back in my posistion. I worked tons of overtime and figuer I averaged 65 hours a week my entire career. Usualy my overtime was security standbys and escourts.
I knew or at least seen probley just about every person that worked or done business at lockheed, knew every pilot, engineer etc. I even knew gary powers when he flew the U-2s for awhile. Kelley Johnson was a widower in those days but had a lady that ran his house. He still was active in the mid 60s, I dont remember when he retired. I do know he had a big ego, but he sure earned it! As years went by marietta georgia built up big as did the plant in texas. I belive corparate is in Bethseba back east. Also a lot of stuff is out of florida. When I hired in burbank I would estimate we had over 20,000 employees there. At palmdale it varied between 4,000 low to over 10,000. I estimate we had about 300 guards. I retired the oldest senority guard probley in lockheeds history and had and retired with number one badge for probley the last 7 or 8 years. I lived behind barbed wire for 35 years 65 hours a week, on the average no days off, worked every holiday, a big blow out at state line about every 6 weeks, a ton of money, 3/4 ton of taxs, but it was my choice. Now I am retired and found out there is another life. I did enjoy being around the planes and pilots and friends though.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bill have you ever read Ben Rich's book? I'll bet you could write a line by line commentary to it. They did some amazing things ans I'm sure they still are.

In the book he writes about the development of the F-117 The Whobley Goblin as well.
It sure makes you proud to be an American when you consider all the development that took place there.

As a conclusion to the main part of the book Rich writes several pages on how money could be saved by our Gov't.

He gives one instance of when the SR-71 was released the announcement was made by then President L.B.J. At the press conference he announced the news of the SR-71. The only problem was that they didn't have an SR-71. The plane was actually called the RS-71. Rather than have to say that the president made a mistake the plane was renamed the SR-71 and all the blueprints, manuals and everything written had to be changed to MAKE THE PRESIDENT RIGHT. That ended up costing the Gov't millions of 1960's dollars.

brionic
Levergunner 1.0

Post by brionic »

Bill, that's great stuff. I grew up near Burbank and you wouldn't believe how much it has changed. All that aerospace and industrial business is gone now, all the factories and plants. It has been replaced by multi complex shopping malls and business offices, with only a few parking lot standards and lamp poles marking the past history of the area . The old Burbank Airport still has a few displays of Lockheed and the war efforts, and a really cool model of the P38, but otherwise, it is all gone.

Did you know Mr. George Hamm? He was an employee there in the 60s and 70s, maybe longer. His son was a school age frined of mine, and he coordinated tours for our Indian Guides tribe back in the day. What a thrill! They showed us a few films, and one of them "The Blackbirds are flying" blew my mind at that young age :o In addition to the YF-12 mentioned above, it also showed the trainer version SR-71A with raised secondary cockpit. That tour was a blast, and I've always remembered Mr. Hamm.

Thanks!
--
Brian
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Nice plane.....to say the least. Is there one on the deck on the CVA Intrepid down in NYC??? Might have seen one at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Wright Patterson Base if I remember correctly. This free museum is a MUST SEE IF YOU ARE IN OR PASSING BY THE AREA. afish4570 :D :D :D
afish4570
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thanks guys. No, I dont remember the name Hamm, however I no doubt had to check his badge or car countless times. Lockheed was a very secretive place to work, and moreso for us guards. You cant guess how close we were continualy checked in our background by many programs that we had to work on. We knew nothing if ever asked. Actualy a program would be made public eventualy, pictures published of planes in magazines and we were ordered not to say a word, for many years after the entire world knew about whatever. I worked on every project we had. (I think).
I belive lockheed made a mistake when they tried to compete in the commercial market with the L 10-11. They were used to cost plus programs for various goverments. While the airliner was no doubt best in the world for its class, it almost bankrupted lockheed. It used rolls royce engines and that company got in trouble and we couldnt get engines. The goverment gave lockheed loans that was a big conterversey and fought by a lot of politicans that proxmeyer from wisconsin strried up. Since lockheed was the most advanced aircraft company for defense they got the loan. Also they quickly paid it back with a lots of intrest and the goverment made out on the deal. Stock got down to two dollars a share. Sure wish I would have bought at that! I dont know how many times it split! I once saw president regan come out and give a speech to the workers.
Tony Levire hired into lockheed april 29th 1941 as a test pilot. That was the day I was born. He was our top test pilot and still was their when I hired in. I last seen him there probley in the late 70s. I saw jimmy doolittle, chuck yager, jackie cockran, knew gary powers, and all the later pilots.
The Gross brothers owned lockheed way back. I once heard a story of Gross walking through the plant and finding a worker napping in a plane fuseloge. The worker didnt reconise Gross. He said, "I am f-----g the dog!" Gross said, "Well I am the dog you are f-----g, so get back to work!
They done me okay.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So here's the question for you. You know that the SR-71 was supposed to replace the U-2 (which is still flying). Now let's say they really aren't flying the SR-71 anymore, since satallites can't just be repositioned in a heartbeat, what the heck did they replace the SR-71 with? Years of rumors of Aroura, but still no photos. Makes one wonder.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

I live up the road from Beale AFB. They used to have the SR-71's their along with the U-2's. Many a time have seen the 71 leaving and couple of tankers going up to keep it refuled. It was said that ifin you fired a 30/06 the same time the 71 went by, it would outrun the bullet. Most of the time when I go to Beale AFB the U2 is praticeing touch and go. Have seen a couple of the Stelth and the little unmanned Global Hawks flying there. They have an open house their every year and years ago wife took the kids down (befor we were married) to see the show. The boy got to sit in the 71 (which is a no-no) but some of the questions he asked the Pilot the guy let him sit in it for a min.

Gun Runner
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

There is a museum in Hutchinson, Ks, with an SR71 hanging from the cieling of the place. One awesome experience to just walk around under the thing and look it over. Makes one wonder if the current administration would ever desire, or be inspired to build something of equal importance to aid in the defense of our precious republic?
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I wonder if the administration in office at the time the SR-71 was built had any idea what it was. I don't think the military, much less the CIA and such ever tell an elected official "everything". The president may find out about things, but only when it becomes necessary. Truth is, politicians have a bad habit of speaking before they engage their brain.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

If you recall, it was Macamara who let out the secret of the sr-71. Had I done that I still wouldnt have seen day light.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There was a Soviet MiG which landed in Okinawa after the pilot defected, and the MiG was clocked at Mach 3.6, if memory serves correctly, but that speed caused the engines to burn out, and on landing they were useless. Funny, but if the SR-71 could ONLY do Mach 3.2, why didn't the Soviets ever catch one with that type of MiG? Could the SR-71 have been even faster than published speed? Surely the Soviets would have sacrificed several aircraft to get even one of the Blackbirds.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Even if a mig could hit over mach 3 I'd say there a difference between being able to attain that speed in a burst of speed and being able to maintain it at 80,000 ft.

IIRC one of the problems they had with an SR-71 one time was when the A/C malfunctioned and they had to make an emergency landing.

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

The "HABU" is an engineering marvel to say the least. I have seen one and looked into the cockpit but I have never seen one fly, but I suppose most perople haven't. I guess that was the whole point. Too bad it was retired it still remains the fastest airplane ever built. Thank you.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

While I spent 35 years walking around all those planes I was on the bottom of the totem pole and far from informed. I know nothing about the mig. You want to remember a huge thing about the SR was the coating. The plane would go so fast it would burn you if touched. Doubt the mig had that or could only survive a short burst of speed as it was mentioned it ruined the engines when it did. Doubt it could go near as high either. Doubt the real top speed is published.
I remember when I was a kid in the 40s. Saw our first jet fly over our place. Dad watched and said, man, if he stuck his head out of the window, it would blow off! That led to me asking dad about the first plane he ever seen. Dad said a old bi plane came low over their farm and dad said to his brothers, he will never make it over the river!
One of my uncles in world war two commented some german jets whipped over them and he couldnt belive it. He claimed at first they couldnt spot them as they were farther ahead then they sounded.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

In the late 80's and early 90's we lived on Mather AFB, the wife was in the Air Force. Went to Beale a lot for various reasons and always watched the flight line for SR-71's. Talked to the pilots a few times in the O club, pretty neat. Was at Beale for the closing ceremony for the SR-71 when it was taken off line. I believe it was the take off for the record, and last flight, to D.C.

Don
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

We are lucky to have tail# 64-17960 (SR-71A Model) on display at Castle Air Museum in Merced CA.

Here's some trivia for you: Castle Air Museum stands on what used to be Castle Air Force Base, which used to be Merced Army Air Corps Field during WWII. Remember "Wheezer" from the Our Gang" Series?

Image Image

Robert Hutchins (Wheezer) died during his final training exercise at Merced Field on May 17, 1945. Hutchins was killed when his B-26 Marauder crashed as he was attempting to land. His mother had just arrived at the airfield for his graduation later that week. He was just 20 years old.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Pathfinder09 wrote:The "HABU" is an engineering marvel to say the least. I have seen one and looked into the cockpit but I have never seen one fly, but I suppose most people haven't. I guess that was the whole point. Too bad it was retired it still remains the fastest airplane ever built. Thank you.
Pathfinder:
Most people call the SR-71 the "Blackbird", not the "Habu". Were you ever stationed at Okinawa? (For those that are unfamiliar, the Habu is Okinawa's only venomous snake and a mean Son-Of-A-Gun: a fitting nickname for this ship.) I used to fly Combat Apple missions out of Kadina (RC-135's) and got to see these ships both land and take off while I was on the flight line. Just awesome: they would start their take-off roll, and then it was ball to the wall, vertically ballistic to the nearest clouds. You could feel those twin Pratt and Whitney J-58's in your guts...
Tom

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

piller wrote:There was a Soviet MiG which landed in Okinawa after the pilot defected, and the MiG was clocked at Mach 3.6, if memory serves correctly, but that speed caused the engines to burn out, and on landing they were useless. Funny, but if the SR-71 could ONLY do Mach 3.2, why didn't the Soviets ever catch one with that type of MiG? Could the SR-71 have been even faster than published speed? Surely the Soviets would have sacrificed several aircraft to get even one of the Blackbirds.
The Mig 25 that Victor Belenko's defection took to Japan after dodging Soviet air defense and Japanese air defense was a bit low on fuel due to his staying at low level and he happened to see an airfield. The majority of his flight was subsonic if it had been supersonic it would never have made it. The runway was too short for the Mig but he managed to get it down without damage even though it did overrun the runway and get stuck in the mud. It was looked over very well, then it was disassembled and shipped back to the Soviet Union, there was nothing wrong with the engines.

The Mig 25 was designed to intercept the Valkyrie bomber that was under development by the USA. A clean reconnaissance Mig 25 will run mach 3.2 at altitude in a dash with full burner. The fuel burn in such a dash is massive and it can't maintain that speed for long without running out of fuel. They were used a few times during the mid-east wars to do reconnaissance in this configuration but the range was only a couple hundred miles at this speed if it wanted to make it back. Temps were damaging to the engines in those dashes and they usually needed rebuilding(or scrapping) after such flights. If it's carrying any missiles, its top speed is degraded to about mach 2.5. It also turned like a truck in perfect conditions, it was rated for only +4.6g and that was at light fuel loads. Maneuverable it was not, a Phantom could out turn it easily. It would not catch the SR71, trust me, they tried.

The SR71 "cruised" at mach 3.2+(its engines most efficient speed) for over 2500 miles, that was NOT it's top speed which is STILL classified. Oddly enough the Soviets did find one of the crashed mach 3.5 drones that were launched by the SR71 back in the 60s but they didn't know what they had.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don tomas, as I recall, many of the B-26 pilots trained in Florida. They had a saying "one a day in Tampa bay". Apparently an unforgiving aircraft.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

jeepnik wrote:Don tomas, as I recall, many of the B-26 pilots trained in Florida. They had a saying "one a day in Tampa bay". Apparently an unforgiving aircraft.
Thanks for the reference, Jeepnik. Using that, I was able to find the following:

...SNIP...
The B-26 was not an airplane for novices. Unfortunately, due to the need to quickly train many pilots for the war, a number of relatively inexperienced pilots got into the cockpit and the accident rate increased accordingly. This occurred at the same time as more experienced B-26 pilots of the 22nd, 38th and 42nd Bombardment Groups were proving the merits of the airplane.
...SNIP...
In 1942, Senator Harry Truman was a leading member of the Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program (the so-called Truman Committee), which was investigating defense contracting abuses. When Truman and other committee members arrived at the Avon Park Army Air Field, they were greeted by the still-burning wreckage of two crashed B-26s. Truman criticized both Glenn L. Martin and the B-26. Indeed, the regularity of crashes by pilots training at MacDill Field—up to fifteen in one 30-day period—led to the only mildly exaggerated catchphrase, "One a day in Tampa Bay."
...SNIP...
The B-26 received the nickname "Widowmaker". Other colorful nicknames included "Martin Murderer", "Flying Coffin", "B-Dash-Crash", "Flying Prostitute" (so-named because it had no visible means of support, referring to its small wings) and "Baltimore Whore" (a reference to the city where Martin was based).

Thanks again,
Tom
Tom

Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Buffboy wrote:I think you are incorrect in the statement about Kelly. You may be referring to the end of the rein of the blackbird or it's final flight. Clarence "Kelly" Johnson died December 21, 1990.

Few people know about the bomber and fighter versions of the plane that were never put into production (at least that we know of :wink: the YB-12 & YF-12 respectably). Both were so far ahead of the current state of the art in 1964 it was quite the scandal that they were canceled before production(the YF-12B the production version was canceled by our good friend of the military, "really need a sarcastic smilie" McNamara) and the tooling to make them ordered destroyed by congress.
Fighter? All the F-12 could have been was a high speed, high altitude, bomber interceptor (replacing F-101 and F-106). No way it could have been a real figher, and in 1965 we needed a real fighter. What we had was a Navy interceptor (the F-4) that had been forced into a fighter (and fighter bomber) role with the Navy and USAF that it really wasn't suited to. The F-12 simply would have continued the mistake of "Higher, further, faster" (at the expense of everything else) that started in the 50s with the F-104. Stopping the YF-12 program was the right idea.

~Michael
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

True enough Michael, it would have been the Mig 25 of the USA though a lot longer ranged. I don't lament the fighter much though it was the development aircraft for the later F14 and F15 missile radar systems. It scored a very impressive first see, first shot, shoot down ratio with the early versions of what became the sparrow but it would have been a bomber killer only. It's turn ability was even less than the later Mig.

What I lament somewhat is the bomber version, this would have put us a couple decades ahead of the Soviets in strategic bombers. I think its main reason for cancellation was that it would have so outclassed the Valkarie(that the pentagon did want and was a terrible idea) as to not even being amusing. Still all this went on in secret as there was nothing generally known about either of these variants until decades after their cancellation.

What I lament most is the mandated destruction of all tooling to build these airplanes. It is the mandated destruction of the technology to build this type of aircraft that annoys me and the thought that it has to be reconstructed(at tremendously higher cost) for future aircraft designs.

- L. Neil Smith
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

jeepnik wrote:Don tomas, as I recall, many of the B-26 pilots trained in Florida. They had a saying "one a day in Tampa bay". Apparently an unforgiving aircraft.
Short wings on the early models and insufficient training of ground crews led to the early problems. By early '44, if you were part of a B-26 crew in the 9th AF, your chances were probably better than any other flyers' of going home alive.

~Michael
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Slick13 wrote:
Short wings on the early models and insufficient training of ground crews led to the early problems. By early '44, if you were part of a B-26 crew in the 9th AF, your chances were probably better than any other flyers' of going home alive.

~Michael
Anyone remember what year they stopped using the B-26 and renamed the A-26 the B-26? I figure it was sometime between WWII and Korea.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Someone in this thread said something about the F-117 and its development. I was stationed at FT Bliss between 1988 to 1990 (2/3 ACR), and I remember that we used to see A-7s fly all the time. What connection does that have to the F-117? Supposedly, the A-7 and F-117 had very similar handling characteristics. There were rumors around Bliss that this is exactly what was going on, that they were training to fly the Stealth. In 1989, when Panama was taken from Noriega and it was revealled that the F-117 was involved, and came from nearby Holloman AFB, the pieces fell together.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Rusty wrote: He gives one instance of when the SR-71 was released the announcement was made by then President L.B.J. At the press conference he announced the news of the SR-71. The only problem was that they didn't have an SR-71. The plane was actually called the RS-71. Rather than have to say that the president made a mistake the plane was renamed the SR-71 and all the blueprints, manuals and everything written had to be changed to MAKE THE PRESIDENT RIGHT. That ended up costing the Gov't millions of 1960's dollars.
Heh. It's actually more sinister than that.
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/SR_71

"However Curtis LeMay preferred the SR designation and wanted the RS-70 to be named SR-70. When the aircraft was to be announced by Lyndon B. Johnson on February 29, 1964, Johnson's speech was modified by LeMay to read SR-71 instead of RS-71. "

For What It's Worth :-)
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well I have seen the SR from a different side.

I have been an air traffic controller for Los Angeles Center (in Palmdale Ca.) for the last 26 and 1.2 years. I will retire and move from the area, most likely, this May. The retirement part is mandatory but the moving part depends on if the house sells.

Back to the bird, all through the 80's and into the 90's I worked the SR71, U2's and even the F117 when they were filing flight plans as A7's. The airspace I work encompases both Nellis AFB (including Dreamland and Area 51) and Edwards AFB, both facilities are famous for exotic planes, and the SR is certainly one of them.

We have a aircraft museum currently across the street from where I work, and it houses an SR71, a YF-12 and an F117, among others. I laugh everytime I read the "world speed record" of the SR, listed on the plaque. I can tell you, after tracking it on radar for many years, it greatly exceeds any speed they have published as it's top speed. The RADAR DOES NOT LIE. I can track a plane within a 5 knot average of his ground speed.

I have been fortunate enough to work nearly every exotic plane they have made, I say nearly because I know there is a replacement for the SR but it does not fly in commercial airspace, which is 60,000 feet and below. They fly VFR above that, if they desire to. FAA regulations allow that.

Their call signs were either a "Dutch or Aspen", such as Dutch 66. Our radar sweeps every 12 seconds and the SR would move 5-7 miles every sweep.

I have a number of stories involving these planes and cherish the memory of working with them. I think of those memories every time I see the planes as I pull into work.

Their replacement? I've had pilots of Boeing 747's, tell me of aircraft far above them (when they were at 39-40,000 feet) and "pulling away from them like they were sitting still. Just so you know, this was AFTER the SR had stopped flying. The 747's fly at an average of about 470-490kts across the ground. Air Force One is capable of much more than that.

Nice video, thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

jeepnik wrote:
Slick13 wrote:

~Michael
Anyone remember what year they stopped using the B-26 and renamed the A-26 the B-26? I figure it was sometime between WWII and Korea.
The USAAF became the USAF in November 1947, and the planes would have been redesignated shortly there after.

The A-26 Invader was replacing the B-26 Maurader (and the B-25 Mitchell) before the end of WWII, and most of the B-26 Mauraders were scrapped in Europe right after the war. I know there's at least one still flying (one of the very early models), and part of "Flak Bait" is at the Smithsonian. Those are the only Mauraders I know of that are still around. Shame they didn't have the sense to set a few aside.

~Michael
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Handirifle. No doubt our paths could have crossed. I was a lockhed guard from 1965 to 2000. Stationed at palmdale 1969 untill I retired in 2000 and moved away just four years ago. Was Ben Freeman your chief there yet when you got there? I knew him, his son dave is a good friend of mine.
Our early test pilot on the F 117 program was col Reedenhour (sp?). He flew the predicesser to the f117 and crashed it. The computer was hooked up wrong and it started oesellateing badly. I seen the movie of the crash. It broke him up badly but he survived then ran the program (F-117). It broke his legs badly. I heard he died since I retired. Did you also know pat quilan? He also was a controller there. He was a reserve sheriff deputy I knew that got in a bad shooting in the area.
Hunter4570
Levergunner

Post by Hunter4570 »

Nice aircraft that SR71 and the A12 and YF12 before it. Imagine what a bomber the XB70 could have be if it's developpment had been continued.
I'm not sure but i think that some SR71 were put back in service for some time during the Serbian crisis. We even had TR1 and last version U2 based in Istres south of France, (50km from Marseille where i leave) for two or three months....maybe more!!
The YF12 had four long range Hugues missiles with more than 200miles range to destroy russian bombers, they were sort of pre serie Phoenix AIM54 that equiped that fantastic F14 Tomcat.