New sight for my Chaparral 1876

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

New sight for my Chaparral 1876

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I installed one of my Christmas presents yesterday – a bit early - the beech front site I recently purchased from rjohns94 here on the forum. (Thanks Mike!) :D

Here’s a picture of the sight that came with the rifle:

Step 1 – mark the sight line:

I then removed the current site, and replaced it with the beech, aligning it with the witness marks I had made.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea. This is going to work really well with the Marbles tang sight I purchased earlier in the year from Wayne Miller! :D

And here’s why I like this sight – it folds down for a regular blade when needed!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

NICE SIGHT

Post by rjohns94 »

Sure looks like it has found a great home. Nice job on the installation. Enjoy and Thanks to you too.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Too bad one can't drift in such a sight on the SRCs. Well, not SO bad... :wink: Looks good!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you are not only neat as pin - you are handy. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow, I AM impressed. I'd have taken my pocket knife and sctratched a line... only because I diskike that tape residue...

And it ain't my rifle! :lol:

Seriously, it's refreshing to see someone take the care to do it properly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Excellent. i have considered a beeches for a few of my rifles, but especially my 45-75. A few questions. It has three sighting posts. what are their heights? how does it compare with the Chapparal sight height? Is the plain blade the same height as the original factory blade? Thank you in advance
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Ysabel Kid

I am really getting the itch for a 76....
can you post a pic of yours.....
I would like to see the wood...and if you dont mind...
where you got and the bux you spent....
I have seen them from 750 to around 1200
and is your furniture laminate or real wood?
thanks
Merry Christmas
by the way.....nice work!
also why did you pick 45-75....and not 45-60?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Ysabel Kid

I am really getting the itch for a 76....
can you post a pic of yours.....
I would like to see the wood...and if you dont mind...
where you got and the bux you spent....
I have seen them from 750 to around 1200
and is your furniture laminate or real wood?
thanks
Merry Christmas
by the way.....nice work!
also why did you pick 45-75....and not 45-60?
Let's see, in order...

Here's a full-length picture - not the best, but what I have on my computer right now.

Mine is a Chaparral Arms model - the Uberti's had not come out yet. I got it a year and a half ago - and actually, that was when I found this forum. I was researching load information and found a post here by KirkD. Sorry day for the rest of you, because now you have to put up with my ramblings almost daily! :wink:

I paid around $1100 for it off GunBroker.com. I'll have to look up the seller, but he has them all the time - CAS member - so I'm sure he's still got them listed. Mine has the laminate, which I don't have a problem with. It looks great, and I know there is some good wood underneath it if I ever feel the need to refinish her.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Oh - mine is a .45-60 WCF. 28-inch barrel - I like very short or very long guns. I chose the .45-60 because I thought it would be easier to reload - just cut down .45-70 Government cases and thin the rims a bit. Works like a charm!

I really like Uberti firearms, so if I was getting one now, would be very tempted to pay the extra couple hundred for one of those. I have heard some horror stories here on the forum about problems with Chaparral Arms 1876 rifles, but mine works fine. Guess I got lucky! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

coyote nose wrote:Excellent. i have considered a beeches for a few of my rifles, but especially my 45-75. A few questions. It has three sighting posts. what are their heights? how does it compare with the Chapparal sight height? Is the plain blade the same height as the original factory blade? Thank you in advance
I'll need to measure the heights when I get back home. It does have three posts to use - one in the circle, one on the top of the circle, and one when folded down. That one looks to be almost spot on the same height as the original blade. :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very nice Y.K. I fondled one the other day. I had to choose between the 76 and an 86 T.D. .45-90. I "settled" on the 86 because it will probably be a while before another one shows up. Good find. I do have one on my wish list. Love to hear more about yours. 1886.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Looks sharp Kid.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks right at home on the 76, and a major improvement in sight picture!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Kid, I can vouch for the exceptional craftsmanship of a Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle I bought a few years ago. I even sent them a BIG ATTABOY e-mail on the job they did. It's a great shooter as well. I put a Marble's Tang-Aperture on the rear & replaced the front post with a Lyman globe & it's a real tackdriver. If you can get your hot little hands on a Uberti 1876, GRAB IT & RUN!!! jd45