Marlin take down 45-90 ***LOTS OF PICS***

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin take down 45-90 ***LOTS OF PICS***

Post by Guncase »

A friend of mine brought this rifle to show me today. It was given to his Dad around 25 years ago, and his Dad gave it to him. "Marlin Safety" on top of the reciever, model 1895 on the tang, drilled and tapped for a tang site. The takedown mechanism has a patent date of 1894(doesn't show clearly in the pic). I don't know enough about them to tell him if the pistol grip stock and checkering are factory or not. Looks like it was re-barreled as the barrel is nicely blued and the rest of the metal has no blueing left. Some case color can be seen on the slide that covers the breech. 45-90 is crudely stamped on top of the barrel, and I assume someone re-barreled, and reamed to 45-90. Did they come in 45-90, or did someone have to modify the action to accomodate the longer round? There is two boxes of loaded ammo in the canvas bag that the rifle came in. They are 45-70 brass, but the notes on the box say 350 grain bullet seated out to 45-90 length. 21.5 grains of Sharpshooter powder.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Marlin take down 45-90 ***LOTS OF PICS***

Post by Sixgun »

THAT is a nice rifle! :D And very desirable. Yes, they were made in 45-90 and if it was not for the somewhat crude stamping, I would say the entire rifle is "right". Its a deluxe :D :D :D

Do you know how to check the rifling twist? Original rifling twist in the 45-90 was 1-32 while the 45-70 is 1-22 (or near that) There is a possibility it is all original.

The Sharpshooter powder has not been made since the war (ww2) It is a fast burning powder used in the old cases, somewhat close to today's AA-5744---------Sixgun

Vall, Chime in!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

The forearm has "B" checkering and the buttstock "A" checkering. Color case on the bolt doesn't match rest of the receiver. I'm thinking parts gun.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That is one good looking Marlin!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

What a beauty! That is a very special rifle!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with Kell, the front assembly is probably built up using the original takedown assembly and mag tube, then a new barrel rechambered to .45-90. It's still a deluxe 1895 takedown, and as such a very valuable gun even with a new rechambered barrel and mismatched forearm. A letter from Cody would identify it's original configuration, if one wanted to return it, but I'd just enjoy it as is.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

That's a neat gun. Funny place to put the rear sling eye.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Some folks have all the luck. Nice Rifle. IT is a keeper.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The best thing about the REAL 1895 Marlins is that they all have "Special Smokeless Steel" barrels, regardless of caliber. No need for piddly little low pressure loads with those beasts. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice rifle. Your buddy is very lucky.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's a beauty!!! 8) :mrgreen: :D
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

So, how much is it worth? He already said he won't sell it, but would like to know. The old boy that gave the rifle to my friends Dad, also gave him a model 94 winchester in 25-35. My friend used that rifle to kill his first deer.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Guncase wrote:So, how much is it worth? He already said he won't sell it, but would like to know. The old boy that gave the rifle to my friends Dad, also gave him a model 94 winchester in 25-35. My friend used that rifle to kill his first deer.

Dont know what its worth really, but early model 94's going for close to a g-note sometimes in shooter condition-- so this one should be worth a tad more :lol:
----- Doug
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Well Guncase, I have a few deluxe 1895s, and since you asked....a serious Marlin collector wouldn't want it. Some of the amateurs out there may pay as high as $2500.00, but you can't put lipstick on a rifle so I think that is too high. Maybe Jorgy will chime in, he had a table full of 1895 Marlin deluxes at the last gun show, nicest collection I've seen.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.