My Next Lever Should be a... (fill in the blank)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

My Next Lever Should be a... (fill in the blank)

Post by DBW »

As some of you know as a newb to the levergun scene I purchased a Marlin 336W .30-30 not long ago. Some of you said that I'd be looking for another eventually. You guys were spot on. :lol:

For lever #2 I'm thinking that I'd like a caliber that works in a lever and a revolver. I'd like to get a Model 1894 Cowboy in .357 but they are as scarce as hens teeth it seems. So, what other options would you guys suggest for a lever/revolver caliber combo?
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Next Lever Should be a... (fill in the blank)

Post by Andrew »

How about a '92 or '94 Winchester?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Winchesters are nice !

I Even own a few :!:

But I also own a larger PILE of Marlin's and they're the ones I shoot almost all the time and hunt with 75% of the time !

The Marlin 1894CB in 357 MAG is a nice rifle . I got one before they stopped making the 1894CB with 24" barrels .

You might however also give some thought to the ultimate Marlin Cowboy rifle , the 1895CB in 45-70 :wink:

The 1895CB was the SECOND Marlin I ever purchased ! Actually had two of them at one point as I planned to reline one to 40-65 but that never happened . Anyway the 1895CB is a pretty nice setup with a nice tang sight .

You might also consider looking around for a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 ! Again I can tell you the earlier ones made in 1988-1993 are pretty darn nice as I have one ! Also the later edition that was made a few short years ago is nice as well and yes I happen to have one of them also !

IF you want a older collectiable gun by all means look for Marlin or Winchester . If you however want a newer rifle that will be used heavily I would say stick with the Marlin as atleast they still have a service department and are still in production with the same basic models .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool chamberings in tube-loading levers (and yes I know I'm leaving out tons...)

Nostalgic step downs from your .30-30 in power, but really fun to shoot - quiet, pest killers, and good target guns; cheap to shoot.
.25-20
.32-20 (especially cool because you can get handguns to match - my favorite :mrgreen: )

Medium-power short and long action rounds - both good deer killers. Neither does much your .30-30 won't already do.
.357 Magnum (can load 'down' to .32-20, .38 special levels)
.35 Remington (I have one of these because I don't have a .30-30 :oops: )

Higher-power short action 'pistol' rounds with matching handguns available; still similar to your .30-30 in overall power.
.44 Remington Magnum (my favorite :mrgreen: )
.45 Colt

Higher-power long action 'rifle' rounds - really 'big medicine' vs. your .30-30 - you'll want one eventually.
.405 Winchester
.444 Marlin (you can use same bullets as .44 Magnum - my favorite :mrgreen: )
.45-70 Government
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I would get either a 357mag or a 44mag, with the corresponding revolver. However, If you want to go whole hog, you could get and 1895Marlin or a 444Marlin and get the corresponding BFR revolver in that caliber :shock:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.45 Colt in a '92 action is strong and allows you to do .45+P pretty readily. I'm real partial to the toggle links... the Uberti 1873 I have is great, good for only .45 Colt standard ammo, but... since I mostly do BP, it works for me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What about a Marlin 1894C? Would be a lot easier to come by than the CB.
NRA Life Member
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

TedH wrote:What about a Marlin 1894C? Would be a lot easier to come by than the CB.
This was my first choice for a lever/revolver combo since I enjoy shooting the .357. I'm unable to locate one though.

So far I'm leaning towards the Marlin 1894... though I can pick up a new .45-70 from my local gun shop. Of course the BFR .45-70 handcannon will only set me back an additional $1000... tough decision on that one (not really, I gotta eat :lol: )
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Buy a used Marlin 1894 in .32-20, and the older the better!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

...late 1910s Winchester Model 1886 Extra Lightweight TD Rifle in .50-110. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would get (if I didn't already own one) one of the NKJ 92's from Steve's guns in .357. You won't ever regret this. The 92 is stronger than the 94, the action job either by Steve or self done using his CD is slicker than oil on glass, and in the .357 is as versatile a rifle as most of us would ever need. You didn't say what you wanted it for other than to have a rifle and pistol combo. In my case, the rifle serves as my truck gun, plinker, deer rifle out to 125 yards and house rifle. I have a couple of .357 pistols and a 38+ revolver that I match with it. TedH just sent me some 190gr solids I plan on loading up for deer/hogs. I have a couple thousand 158 grain plinking rounds loaded up.

Another rifle pistol combo you can't go wrong with would be a .22lr combo. My rifle in that case would be a win 9422, or marlin 39 or, in my case, an 1897. serve it up with an nice single action, double action or semi in .22 and you will have years of plinking and hunting fun. I use my .22s more than any other caliber.

.22lr, .357, 30-30 great range of guns. To fill it out, get a 45-70, maybe an 1886, or any one of the 1895 variants and you would have most of your bases covered. There would be a small ground swell of discussion on then putting money down on a pointed bullet shooter of the BLR variety but that would depend if you get to shoot on game out to distances that is required. Here on the east coast, on game lands, I just don't get that opportunity.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

+1 on rjohns 94 suggestions.I own two Rossi 92 Pumas in 45LC.One is a 20" SRC round barrel the other is a 24" Octagon.Both are Stainless Steel.Rough at first, but with a little elbow grease they smoothed up nice. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote: Another rifle pistol combo you can't go wrong with would be a .22lr combo. My rifle in that case would be a win 9422, or marlin 39 or, in my case, an 1897. serve it up with an nice single action, double action or semi in .22 and you will have years of plinking and hunting fun. I use my .22s more than any other caliber.
Didn't think of that one - I sort of assume everyone already has a .22LR :oops: .

A good .22LR also is the little Ruger 96/22. A matching "Single Six" (or Mark II pistol, even) and you have a pair of useful guns. They are often the 'companion' guns or ones to shoot informally with friends, because they're so cheap to shoot, less noisy, and just FUN!

On the rifle/handgun thing with centerfires, One nice thing about the .357 Mag and .44 Mag is that you can 'step up' to .35 Remington or .356 Winchester, and use the same diameter bullets, and for plinking, the exact same bullets. Thus you can have a revolver, carbine, and rifle at least share bullets, sizer dies, etc., even if the longer gun uses different cases and primers. Same for .444 Marlin with the .44; the .45's are different diameters, unless you could find a long-action levergun in .460 S&W...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I would definately go with the Marlin 94 CS and for the pistol? I'd choose a Ruger flattop .357.

Here's a couple of Marlins on gunbroker - you can buy and have shipped to your local dealer. Just look at the feedback of the seller before buying. http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =122371271
http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =122179654
http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =122273988

and here's a Ruger: http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =122482908

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think my next lever will be a Marlin 1897 unless a really "must have" Winchester '92 in 25-20 pops up.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

My next lever will be a winchester Miroku model 92 in fact it is on layaway already and when that one is paid for if they still have it I will be getting my second 86 also the Miroku flavor. I would love to get an orginal 86 but my own net worth isn't enough to even get close to one so I get the recreations and they work for me so I am happy. I am a died in the wool winchester style fan but someday I will get me a marlin lever 22 rf as I like them better then the winchester models. Only wished marlin made a 22rfm in a lever action.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 on the .22 combo. Everyone NEEDS one of these - or more than one. You can shoot all day long and not even dent your wallet. Little is more fun than plinking away with a .22 lever-action and single-action revolver. If it was me I'd go with a Marlin 39A for the lever and a Ruger Single-Six for the revolver (just because I did and have never regretted it!). Lots of choices and combos you can go with thought.

After that, I'd consider a .357 Magnum combo. Or, a .45 Colt combo. Better yet, just start looking for deals on any parts of these, because you will eventually want them all!!! :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a Henry .22, and my bro has a Single Six --- we have a blast lining up at the range !! (or in the backyard -- mama's backyard -- wherever -- they both will shoot .22 Short ammo, but the Henry is almost pellet gun quiet with them)

So i guess you could say i'm voting .22 as well --- get a Henry , the receivers are ugly, but they are bulletproof. Other than that --- the only way to top a 30-30 is with a 45-70 for many uses. if you are starting out -- there is very little that cant be done withj a 22, 30-30, 45-70 and a 12 gauge (or 20)
----- Doug
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

my dad just bought a single six with the 22lr and 22 wmr cylinders looks like a nice gun.but if i was wanting to buy a lever in a pistol cartridge it would be a puma 92.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

You can't go wrong with either the .357 or the .44 mag, but I suggest the .44 cowboy and a matching Ruger Super Blackhawk. It is a combination I own and never leave home without it. The .44 is more expensive to shoot than the .357, but it has the same sub-caliber advantage (44mag/44spec) but with the added advantage of power.

I have to admit however that one of my favorite combo's is my Browning BL-92 and Ruger Blackhawk in .357. and on some days, when small caliber is appropriate, my Browning BL-22 and Ruger single six in .22 are perfect.

Now that narrows it down. . . . . . . . . :lol:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jaguarundi wrote:+1 on rjohns 94 suggestions.I own two Rossi 92 Pumas in 45LC.One is a 20" SRC round barrel the other is a 24" Octagon.Both are Stainless Steel.Rough at first, but with a little elbow grease they smoothed up nice. :D
+3
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the one in the picture below!
model 92 SRC 44-40
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

since you already have the 30-30, go with a .357. your good on north american game, the 30-30 has stopped more brown bear charges than the .338, and the hunters lived to tell the tale.. .357; inexpensive, easy to find at the discount stores, from plinking to target shooting, small game and big game close up, its' hard to beat. fast shooting in a trapper with 125grns. makes a great self defense load. you can always go bigger, but you lose the versatility.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Well folks, here is an update.

I rolled into Poplar Bluff, Missouri yesterday afternoon and had time to kill. So I decided to go to the nearby Superduper Wally World and buy some groceries to restock my supply on the Kenworth. I made the mistake of going to the sporting goods department after getting a cart load of grub. The first thing that caught my eye was a Henry .22 lever. I started drooling at the walnut stock and grips. They also had a few .30-30's. Since my home state of Oklahoma borders Missouri, I was able to buy. So I decided I'd take the Henry (the last one they had) as well as the .30-30 (which gives me two .30-30's). As the saleslady got on the phone to take care of the NICS another sales associate commented on the Marlin Thutty and mentioned that they also had a Marlin .44 Rem Mag in stock. I asked the price and decided to add it to the others (knowing that now I'm going to find a .44mag revolver to make a combo)

So, I blew through a grand of FRN's in less than an hour. I'm now the owner of four levers. Below is a pic of yesterdays purchase. :lol:

The Marlin .30-30 on the top, the .44mag in the middle, the Henry .22 at the bottom.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Excellent! You are the man! Thats quite a brace of saddle guns there, but what? no 45-70 or 444 in stock?

just kidding -- thats gonna be a fun trip to the range
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

regardless of what myself and others have suggested, you have made excellent selections. those 3 will satisfy and occuppy a lifetime of shooting. good hunting!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Streetstar wrote:Excellent! You are the man! Thats quite a brace of saddle guns there, but what? no 45-70 or 444 in stock?

just kidding -- thats gonna be a fun trip to the range
They didn't have a 45-70. But the Academy down on S. Walker in OKC where you live has a few. That's where I bought my first .30-30 last month. :D
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

dbw
now if I did that the wife would want some play money also. Wait a minute with the model 92 that is on layaway and if the 86 is there when it is paid for and the shotgun I want and the tc contender I want is available. I have just beat you by a few grand, I better keep quite what I am doing with my small mad money stash.
You guys do tend to get a fellow into trouble.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

shdwlkr wrote:dbw
now if I did that the wife would want some play money also. Wait a minute with the model 92 that is on layaway and if the 86 is there when it is paid for and the shotgun I want and the tc contender I want is available. I have just beat you by a few grand, I better keep quite what I am doing with my small mad money stash.
You guys do tend to get a fellow into trouble.
Aside from the FRNs I burned yesterday and the 300+ FRNs I spent last month on my first lever (also a .30-30)... along with the Lee reloader, dies, etc. that I've been buying these past few months... and the desire now to pick up a .44mag revolver... I view it all as an investment. As the economy lanquishes and a potential repeat of the Weimar Republic looms on the horizon for the nation, I figure it's prudent to buy guns and ammo. Although I don't make a lot of money and a good chunk of it goes to my wife each month to help pay off her debts that came as her dowry when we got married four years ago, what is left over that I keep starts to add up since my personal bills come up to a couple hundred a month. I'm hesitant to leave money in the bank should everything collapse and leave me with nothing of value.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

dbw
Might be why I have to have almost every winchester lever I find that fills my wants. I don't have much faith in the government anymore and banks are not the safest place to have money anymore and I am wondering when they will print so much of it that it has no value.
this recession will change the landscape of America for decades to come.
you have made some very good purchases
NRA Endowment member
DAV
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I could go for a Henry with either brass or steel receiver. I've admired them from afar for sometime.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Nice stuff. You're well set up. I went through what you did and ended up with a similar battery in about two years. I know you guys don't like to hear this, but I think I'm done now!

I really like the 336 with the gold trigger, nice.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Mate, it should be the 1873 carbine I looked at today.
I44-40 in 95% condition with the cleaning rods still in the butt trap.
Still trying to find the $5000 the gut wants for it!
Pop.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Looking for and finding a particular rifle or handgun is a large part of the enjoyment of what we do. Exercise some patience here, you told us you were interested in an 1894 Cowboy in 357. That should not be impossible at all, but may take a while to find the nice rifle and good price, but what's a little time to really get what your heart tells you it wants?. Hang in guy, I bought an 1894 Marlin CB in 45 last year, and bought a .44 in the standard 1894 awhile before that, they are really neat little guns in pistol caliber. But you will find a .357 if you work at it.
Last edited by brucew44guns on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Hopefully my next levergun will be a Winchester/Browning Mod 71 in .348 Win. I really want one of these.

8)
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Pathfinder09
auction arms : 8992414 Winchester MODEL 71 348 WIN Fine $1690.00 02-18 08:26
gunbroker: 122373945 Winchester 71 .348 Rifle Lever action 0 $1,200.00 3d 11h +
gunbroker: 122731847 Winchester Model 71 RIfle .348 Win. Cal Deluxe 0 $999.00 4d 1h +
gunbroker: 122544641 Winchester M-71 .348 High Condition Mfg. 1941 0 $2,600.00 3d 5h +

just a few that are up for sale right now all you need is the cash to buy one and then one of these could be yours
NRA Endowment member
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Update: The saga continues somewhat. Since buying the Marlin .44 mag I've been itching to acquire a matching pistol. I stopped at H & H gun range in OKC yesterday and picked up a few more firearms. The photos shows a new Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag. The revolver below it is a new Ruger GP101 in .357. Not shown is the new Mossberg 500 bought to round out my transaction. :lol:

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

There is a Uberiti made '73 Winclone in .357 up the road. It's getting stale on the rack... and it's calling my name.

I need to pony up some college cash for a son this quarter ..or it would be home already.

~J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I rounded out my levergun collection this morning. I found a Puma 92 in .357 with 16" barrel. I need to stop spending FRNs. :lol:

shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

DBW
Now I am really starting to wish I had enough money to get my Miroku model 92 sooner then I can but that is life in the retired lane and it seems I am stuck there.
Nice rifle mine has 24 inch barrel which most don't like but I do and always have. I grew up when long barreled firearms were all the rage and never got over it.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

and they say we are in a depression --- :D looks like you are doing fine. darn fine brace of vintage style firearms you got now
----- Doug
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Streetstar wrote:and they say we are in a depression --- :D looks like you are doing fine. darn fine brace of vintage style firearms you got now
I'm doing fairly well even though freight industry wide has dropped off. I'm clicking off 3000 miles per week which deposits a decent number of binary digits in my bank account. I have no bills so after giving my wife $1500 each month the remaining FRNs are mine. :lol:
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

First one I'd buy is a 39A mountie to replace/suppliment my pistol grip 39A after that a 45-70
GIT 'R done
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

There's a Model 94 in 30-30 with a new barrel on an older receiver at the local gun store.The front sight was taken off and what looks like J.B. Weld smeared on it.My big idea is to have it bobbed down to Trapper length, put a peep sight and sling swivels on it, and see if it will shoot.It will run about $350 out the door.Wish me luck! :D
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."