Puma headspace

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Puma headspace

Post by Old Savage »

Our man Cowboytutt gave me some medium hot loads to shoot in my 45 Colt Puma. He didn't like how the primers looked with an ejector imprint and suggested I may have too much head space (lighter loads look fine). He suggested that I use porgressive layers of scotch tape over the case head to see when the bolt wouldn't close. At 12 layers it was quite hard. I then measured the tape layers and found that they were at about .022" using a Rem case. Winchester have a thicker rim.

Anyone have any enlightenment on this problem if it is one?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.,

Several years ago I had a Rossi Puma in .45 Colt. It also left ejector tracks on the primers. The hotter the load, the worse the marks.
I never had it checked for head space and it never got worse or blew any primers out or did anything wrong.

It does seem that .022" of tape between the case head and bolt face may be excessive. I'd give Steve Young at Steves Guns a phone call and see what he says.
He goes by Nate Kiowa Jones here.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

O.S.
It's never a bad thing to know your headspace dimensions but, be aware that many( Most?) of those Pumas have excessively strong ejector springs and they will mark a case, any case, and toss them as far as the next township. Thats why Steve sells reduced power ejector springs.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pepe, that is for sure, I should chrony the ejecting cases.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...