Got my 1894 back (chopped to 16")

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Got my 1894 back (chopped to 16")

Post by adirondakjack »

Sent it to The Smith Shop for a bob job. Bill English did a superb job. The crown looks almost too nice (it's a giveaway that it wasn't factory).... The chunks of BBL and mag tube he sent back weigh 12 ounces. Now the gun balances with two fingers under the front of the receiver.
16.25" bbl, 33 1/4" overall. It holds 10 (or 11, depending on OAL)+1 rounds of Cowboy .45 Special. Conversion and short stroke to 4 5/8" lever throw by Gary Blansett, one-piece FP and light spring, SS mag tube spring and follower, Grabber (big bead) sight on the front, Marbles peep on the back. Engraving by Jim Downing.
Certified gun nut
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Got my 1894 back (chopped to 16")

Post by kaschi »

That sure is one cute carbine!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice :D :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice looking carbine.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like a good little brother to the other one!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Sweet lookin' shooter. 1886.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I like it alot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice, Jack. Oughta swing a little quicker now! Just don't go TOO FAST! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Now take oct piece of barrel and put in one of you handguns , should make a great looking SASS/CAS gun . I did that and made a black powder gun

Image..Image
Image......Image
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

That looks nice. I miss the Win 94 Trapper I had. Was 44 Mag, and traded it for my 1895GS. No regrest on the trade but I miss the light weight of the trapper.

Does the Marlin 1895's in either 44 Mag or 45 Colt, use ballard rifling or still button?

How much was the short throw conversion?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The Marlin 1894s in .45 Colt are all ballard rifled. Some of the .44s are ballard, some are microgroove. The trouble with the .44s is the ridiculously slow twist, which won't stabilize heavy bullets. The .45s have a fast enough twist to stabilize a hammerhead ;)
Certified gun nut
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Can someone rationally explain to me the "WHY" of wrapping the lever with leather....???

None of the reasons I've ever heard make a lick of practical sense to me.

But then.......
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Buck, the lever wrap is a "bushing", making the lever fit the hand with less space around it. The function is to allow the hand to flop around less inside the lever, making cycling time faster. This is an asset when shooting Cowboy Action, where of course, time is of the essence. My marlins are "short stroked", so the lever throw is only 4 5/8". With the further reduction of lost motion by padding the lever loop with a wrap, I can plant my thumb at the receiver to wood joint, right alongside the hammer, and cycle the gun by simply flicking my fingers. My wrist never even moves.

For a HUNTING gun, especially one used with gloves, I'd take the wrap off.

Another reason folks use em is to cushion the lever so their soft hands don't get torn up cycling the lever fast. This would be an issue with many stock rifles, as they cycle with a good bit of resistance. Mine are "race actions", with a good bit of polishing and lighter mainsprings, so again, not an issue. But if ya ever tried to cycle a stock levergun at top speed, and do it maybe 60 or 100 times, yer gonna git tore up if ya haven't got hard hands or a wrapped lever.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

adirondakjack wrote:Buck, the lever wrap is a "bushing", making the lever fit the hand with less space around it. The function is to allow the hand to flop around less inside the lever, making cycling time faster. This is an asset when shooting Cowboy Action, where of course, time is of the essence. My marlins are "short stroked", so the lever throw is only 4 5/8". With the further reduction of lost motion by padding the lever loop with a wrap, I can plant my thumb at the receiver to wood joint, right alongside the hammer, and cycle the gun by simply flicking my fingers. My wrist never even moves.

For a HUNTING gun, especially one used with gloves, I'd take the wrap off.

Another reason folks use em is to cushion the lever so their soft hands don't get torn up cycling the lever fast. This would be an issue with many stock rifles, as they cycle with a good bit of resistance. Mine are "race actions", with a good bit of polishing and lighter mainsprings, so again, not an issue. But if ya ever tried to cycle a stock levergun at top speed, and do it maybe 60 or 100 times, yer gonna git tore up if ya haven't got hard hands or a wrapped lever.
Thanks for 'splaining - I never new that!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well... I seem to have heard such tales before, and they STILL make no sense to me. I AM a cowboy shooter; shoot a Uberti '73 and/or Winchester '92. I ain't the "machinegun" type speed shooter, but I seem to do all right. The guns are both pretty much STOCK, and I've never been hurt by either, nor by my '86, or any other levergun I can remember shooting. As for "moving around" inside the lever loop: I just don't seem to notice it when I'm shootin'...

Then again, I must have 'hard' hands, at least I don't have fat, fleshy fingers like a lot of guys seem to possess lately...

:P
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

What is the nominal bullet dia for the 45 Colt? Is it the same as some handguns .429?
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

Buck - the back of my fingers have a very thin layer of flesh & nerves then bone. If I cycle the lever rapidly on any of my several lever actions the back of my fingers will be sore very quickly.

Handirifle - the 45 Colt uses a .452 diameter bullet, not .429
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8) So, what is engraved on the receiver/bolt cover?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Jim Downing "The Gun Engraver" and I did a little horse trading at a SASS regional in 07. He engraved the bolts on both my Marlins (the other one is #1), denoting the first and second Marlins ever to be converted to use my C45S round (there are a couple dozen of em now that I know of).
Certified gun nut
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

adirondakjack wrote:Image
Jim Downing "The Gun Engraver" and I did a little horse trading at a SASS regional in 07. He engraved the bolts on both my Marlins (the other one is #1), denoting the first and second Marlins ever to be converted to use my C45S round (there are a couple dozen of em now that I know of).
Super-cool!!! 8) 8) 8)

Say AJ, I think you posted this before, but would you have a side by side photo of the standard .45 Colt compared to the C45S cartridge? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! :D
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Very nice!

Are those cartridge case heads inlet into the stocks?

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Cherokee wrote:Buck - the back of my fingers have a very thin layer of flesh & nerves then bone. If I cycle the lever rapidly on any of my several lever actions the back of my fingers will be sore very quickly.

Handirifle - the 45 Colt uses a .452 diameter bullet, not .429

Thanks.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

AJ,

Do you taper crimp or roll crimp your .45 Cowboy loads?

If you roll, who's die do you use? I've been thinking of going to your igenious system but the crimp issue puzzels me.

Great lookin' pair o' rifles, thanks for showing 'em.

Cat