1886 Browning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

1886 Browning

Post by SJPrice »

I have a great Browning 1886 SRC High Grade. I have made a few modifications to it and it is my favorite hunting gun these days. As much as I like it I have always liked lever action rifles over lever action carbines. Does anyone here have experience with the 1886 Browning rifles. How do they balance? How many rounds will they hold? Any experience or stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1886 Browning

Post by winchester1886 »

I had one got it back in 86 when they first came out beautiful rifle, holds 8 rounds from memory, balances and handles well, the only thing I could fault it on was the flats on the barrel did not seem to be as flat as on my old Winchester 86's. In a moment of madness back in 98 (money trouble) I sold it have tried to buy it back but the guy won't sell it.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Keep the carbine. The rifle should have come with a set of wheels. Since I got my EL, the rifle hardly comes out of the safe. Fine if you are carting it to the range and back in your SUV but a pain to lug around.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great rifles. Excellent quality. I am sure you will get many positive responses. Hope you join the club soon. 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

leverluver is correct, after lugging the 86 rifle around, one will come to appreciate the SRC. 1886.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

No way I would ever sell my 86 Browning rifle. Got it for $479.00 NIB in 1986. If it weighed 12 pounds wouldn't matter, it's a special piece of iron, and I have a NIB SRC too, but the rifle is my favorite.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Like I said, my SRC is my go to lever action, but I am thinking a rifle would be even better. Does anyone here hunt with their Browning 1886?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

SJ,

I have both a Browning 1886 SRC and the "Montana" version of the '86 High Grade rifle. My SRC is right up there with my original Winchester 71 as a favorite hunting rifle. However, if you roam those plains with distant horizons and want to feel the spirit of the buffalo hunter from bygone years, that Browning '86 rifle will take you there. It's a heavy, beautifully balanced rifle with a long 26 inch octagon barrel and it will take your emotions back to the era of the buffalo hunter and mountain man.

Yeah, you better get that '86 rifle if you've found one you like and let your spirit roam the plains and mountains with those good men who passed before.
huntershooter
Levergunner

Post by huntershooter »

I hunt on accasion with my Browning '86.
Shot a "free range" Bison with it a few weeks back.
Rifle is plenty accurate with cast bullets. It is however, a boat anchor.
Guess it would be a non issue if your horse was packing it.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

mod71alaska wrote:SJ,

I have both a Browning 1886 SRC and the "Montana" version of the '86 High Grade rifle. My SRC is right up there with my original Winchester 71 as a favorite hunting rifle. However, if you roam those plains with distant horizons and want to feel the spirit of the buffalo hunter from bygone years, that Browning '86 rifle will take you there. It's a heavy, beautifully balanced rifle with a long 26 inch octagon barrel and it will take your emotions back to the era of the buffalo hunter and mountain man.

Yeah, you better get that '86 rifle if you've found one you like and let your spirit roam the plains and mountains with those good men who passed before.
Very well said! That is the essence of it all, and why we do the things we do.

Regards, Gerry
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have the 1886 rifle, and I hunt with it. I removed the buckhorn sight and installed a reciever peep. I love this gun. Very well balance and accurate. It is a heavy *** if you pack it all day, but worth it. I just picked up a SRC, and should get it soon. We'll see how I like it. I sure love the rifle.

Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have carried Winchester Model 1886 rifles around for 4 decades, but as I get older, the lighter guns are much easier to pack around. I still have my 1898 vintage .45-70 carbine, plus several lightweight '86s in various calibers that get a lot of use during deer and elk seasons. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I would really like to pick up a 71. That is my next target.

8)
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I have an newer Winchester 1886 Take down. It shoots real well. I did shoot an elk and a couple deer with it. To me it's definitely a scabbard gun. It is tiresome lugging up and down the hills. I still like to carry it though.