OT- I guess I'm just a kid

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

OT- I guess I'm just a kid

Post by 20cows »

I got Red from a horse trader that had gotten him from disgruntled grandaddy. I discovered why he didn't belong in the kid horse market not long afer I got him. It seems he was a little too fiesty for a kid horse. He will sometimes do a little two or three step "booger" and every time he's done it, I think to my self, "Yep, he'd a' just dumped a kid."

Up to today, I had been able to stay with him, no problem. But then he boogered and had me on the ground and I thought to myself, "Yep, I'm a kid!"

Praise the Lord for a relatively soft coastal patch to land in. No injury, no PAIN :D !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- I guess I'm just a kid

Post by kimwcook »

Glad to hear you're okay.

The two horses I have now I purchased as one year olds. I've got them both green broke. One of them has never tried dumping me, but the other one has dumped me twice. Once it was my fault, I was free galloping him in a pasture and I thought he was going to go left and he went right. I ended up strumming my five wire fence line with the inside of my left arm. Looked like someone had beat me good with a cat of nine tails. The second time it wasn't anybody's fault, the half breed latigo gave way and the saddle started sliding off the left side of the horse. I bailed, as we were in the round pen and I saw visions of my body tangling up somewhere in the panels. My left arm again took the brunt of the fall and hit the last two rails of the round pen. Again, it looked like someone had beat me to death. So, I know what you mean when you say you feel like a kid. Although I don't bounce like I used to, when I was a kid and the horse I was riding decided it wanted me off.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good to hear your OK 20 Cows! I think that kind of thing is good for all of us, once in a while. Sure helps when you can get up from it and walk away..... :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Oh, I didn't walk away, I RODE! :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

20cows wrote:Oh, I didn't walk away, I RODE! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course you did!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

20Cows
I get my nephew to top out green horses, kids bones are green and bend alot fore they break plus kids bounce real good. danny
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I don't think Red's particularly green (he's 19), he's half Arab (a little high strung, maybe?).
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hey 20Cows, ain't it something how a little short barreled cow pony can sidestep out from under you so easy? Kind of quick ain't they.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Purty quick!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

sound like he needs to spend a little time in the round pen
at least until he finds out whos boss.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

In my experience, which is not a whole lot. Horses, bulls, dogs, cats, etc. are very similar to humans. They all have certain personality traits and once they learn, good or bad habits, it takes a lot to change their mind. It can be done some of the time, but not always. I have a territorial horse on my ranch now. She is a problem and we have tried to change her with no success. Kids and small dogs can't go near her because she attacks them. She runs cattle and separates calves from their mothers. I was told by a well known horse trainer she is dangerous and we need to get rid of her for dog food. What do y'all think? P.S. it is not my horse.
"That'll Be The Day"
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

"Aint ever been a hoss that can't be rode! Aint ever been a cowboy that can't be throwed!"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

rangerider7 wrote:In my experience, which is not a whole lot. Horses, bulls, dogs, cats, etc. are very similar to humans. They all have certain personality traits and once they learn, good or bad habits, it takes a lot to change their mind. It can be done some of the time, but not always. I have a territorial horse on my ranch now. She is a problem and we have tried to change her with no success. Kids and small dogs can't go near her because she attacks them. She runs cattle and separates calves from their mothers. I was told by a well known horse trainer she is dangerous and we need to get rid of her for dog food. What do y'all think? P.S. it is not my horse.
Maybe time to give John Lyons a call? That or consult a horse psychic and she could tell why your mare is acting up! :wink: Perhaps for another post, but I would like to know more, and how that horse does.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not good to drop any of the 50+ crowd from five to six feet on the ground.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I grew up a cowboy in the Sandhills of western Nebraska and Saturday was go to town - stock up day. I was pretty tight with what little money I had (that was depression days - 1938 - and I was only 12 years old) and my entertainment was going to the auction figuring something would come up I could afford.

They brought a good looking 7 year old gelding into the ring - that was considered prime age to work a saddle horse and average price was about $45. No one bid so I spoke up with a bid of $15 not expecting it would work - no one bid against me!!!

I was really embarrassed going down to pay for and pick up my horse - knowing everyone there knew something about that horse I didn't. I was right - the previous owner that broke that horse let the horse intimidate him. I was a pretty tough cowboy (in my mind at least) and, in a couple of days had him straightened out - mostly. The positive part was I could hire out to help move cattle from summer to winter range and vice versa, to the railhead for going to market, etc. - and the pay was $5 per day (plus chow - we slept out under a blanket most of the time) riding the rancher's horse - saddle & bridle (I had mine which cost $45) but owning my own horse and saddle and bridle, etc - the pay was $8 per day.

I paid for that horse the first five days I worked him !!!

However, the day came when I ran out of patience with his ignoring my "guidance" cutting cows out of the herd and I decided we would settle - once and for all - who was "in charge". I had some Mexican spurs a friend of dad's gave me - fancy LARGE rowels (pointy things in back) and silver mounted both inside and out - extra fancy. I took them down from the wall, put them on my boots, and got back on Fleet - my horse. Instantly, Fleet understood and converted to being a Christian. We were pretty well known - I worked rodeo rings in addition to my free-lance cattle herding and so on - so, when my parents moved to the city three years later, I figured I could get a decent price for him - WRONG - no one would pay more than $15 for him but paid $45 for my saddle and bridle.

Oh well, I had made a lot of money on him so I took my medicine and sold him and my equipment. You play the cards you're dealt in life. :roll:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Not good to drop any of the 50+ crowd from five to six feet on the ground.
I'll hit that mark in a little over a year.

Red could use a little round pen work on a few bad habits (most could), but I don't think it'd fix this little side step. He's just one of those horses that "sees snakes" every now and then.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Oh, and rangerider7, I'd get rid of that horse. It ain't worth the risk to keep it around if you can't use it.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

20cows, if was my horse I would have got rid of it a long time ago. When it comes to my horse, any 65 year old grandpa can ride her and kids and dogs are safe around her. That grandpa is me!
"That'll Be The Day"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

rangerider7 wrote:In my experience, which is not a whole lot. Horses, bulls, dogs, cats, etc. are very similar to humans. They all have certain personality traits and once they learn, good or bad habits, it takes a lot to change their mind. It can be done some of the time, but not always. I have a territorial horse on my ranch now. She is a problem and we have tried to change her with no success. Kids and small dogs can't go near her because she attacks them. She runs cattle and separates calves from their mothers. I was told by a well known horse trainer she is dangerous and we need to get rid of her for dog food. What do y'all think? P.S. it is not my horse.

YEP that horse would be gone! Sure hope you keep her pinned up. My parents and my sister live near each other on adjoining acreage and we to include the kids cross the pasture frequently. I am sure you would hate to have a kid or loved one get caught off guard.

You may want to send that horse to a hypnotist and see if she can redirect her aggression towards COYOTES! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

20cows wrote:I got Red from a horse trader that had gotten him from disgruntled grandaddy. I discovered why he didn't belong in the kid horse market not long afer I got him. It seems he was a little too fiesty for a kid horse. He will sometimes do a little two or three step "booger" and every time he's done it, I think to my self, "Yep, he'd a' just dumped a kid."

Up to today, I had been able to stay with him, no problem. But then he boogered and had me on the ground and I thought to myself, "Yep, I'm a kid!"

Praise the Lord for a relatively soft coastal patch to land in. No injury, no PAIN :D !

Glad to hear all that was hurt was your pride. I had a new horse that I was training come over backwards on me once in the middle of a ceremony.

MY PRIDE GOT HURT TOO!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

OJ wrote:I grew up a cowboy in the Sandhills of western Nebraska and Saturday was go to town - stock up day. I was pretty tight with what little money I had (that was depression days - 1938 - and I was only 12 years old) and my entertainment was going to the auction figuring something would come up I could afford

OJ,

I have some good friends, the Monahans, who have a family ranch in the sandhills. The ranch is the Circle Dot and covers a little over 130,000 acres. I get out there in the spring for branding and in the fall for roundup, sorting and preg checks. It is always a good time and they are real tolerant of a greenhorn. I think it helps that Cinch, my horse, is smarter than I am and gets me out of the rough spots. I really like the riding in the sandhills. it is great country.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

sounds like a trip to the round pen may be what the doctor ordered. Getting a horses attention from the ground is one of the best skills I ever learned.

If he was kid-ridden and learned to get away with stuff like that it's probably a respect or fear issue. I have seen some young boys who could ruin a horse trying to "cowboy" on them...and horse get defensive with that kind of thing.

Women-trained horses (especially if they are Parelli disciples) tend not to do well when ridden by men for business. Soured or spoiled horses can be fixed... just have to show that you can outlast em and still respect them.

glad you found a soft spot...Be careful...Morphine slows the bowels and causes more problems than it solves.............

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

You're probably right (more than probably), I need to put a round pen together sometime.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

SJPrice wrote:
OJ wrote:I grew up a cowboy in the Sandhills of western Nebraska and Saturday was go to town - stock up day. I was pretty tight with what little money I had (that was depression days - 1938 - and I was only 12 years old) and my entertainment was going to the auction figuring something would come up I could afford

OJ,

I have some good friends, the Monahans, who have a family ranch in the sandhills. The ranch is the Circle Dot and covers a little over 130,000 acres. I get out there in the spring for branding and in the fall for roundup, sorting and preg checks. It is always a good time and they are real tolerant of a greenhorn. I think it helps that Cinch, my horse, is smarter than I am and gets me out of the rough spots. I really like the riding in the sandhills. it is great country.
Yep, Earl Monahan of the circle dot ranch was just north of us in Whitman. Dad and granddad were the bankers there and each had small spreads on the side where they ran a few herefords but they were good friends of all the ranchers there. I suspect the Earl you know would be about my age (82) or maybe his son. The Earl I knew was about dad's age and dad was born in Torrington, Wyoming in 1900 - first white child born there - previous ones were Indians and granddad was the railroad station agent at the west end of the railroad and always moved west when a new segment of the railroad was finished - he was one tough guy - :twisted: .

I was a "free - lance" cowboy and didn't like the jobs (cutting lawns, painting fences, and such) in town (claimed 115 pop but I never saw that many there) so I hired out to poke cows in spring and fall when cattle were moving from winter to summer range - and worked rodeos in August - then back to moving cattle back to winter range in the fall - worked in hayfields in July where I made $45 per month - plus "room and board" - board was pretty good but the "room" at the hay camp was a tent I shared with one other guy.

Last time I was in Whitman, there were only residents and no businesses - town had pretty much died.

We left there in 1942 when dad sold the bank to Chris Abbot - who had been trying to buy it for years. Ask if there are any still living that would remember Otis and WD King in the bank.

Still haven't given up my cowboy heritage -

This was taken in Whitman in about 1938 with my dad and dog in our back yard in Whitman.

Glad to hear from you about old friends - thanks -

Last edited by OJ on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I have some good friends, the Monahans, who have a family ranch in the sandhills.
I had to go back and read that twice. I grew up in the Monahans sandhills of West Texas (a different place altogether!).
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

20 cows , the ground is alot harder than it used to be. ( Global Hardening a far worse crisis than global warming ) :lol:

Anything with arab in it are definatly more UP than other horses. The only half arab that I still have is morgan/arab. But there is nothing causual about riding him . He likes to crow hop out of the blue. Not talking about Red , but I've never hesitated to get rid of a horse that could bring harm to people. There is plenty of good horses out there. Specialy these days . I have people trying to give me horse all the time. But the pasture is already full.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If it isn't your horse, I'd invite the owner to get that horse off my ranch. If they didn't I'd inform them the horse had broken a leg and had to be put down.

If it belongs to one of your kids, or wife, just tell 'em straight, the horse has to go before someone gets hurt bad.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Charles wrote:"Aint ever been a hoss that can't be rode! Aint ever been a cowboy that can't be throwed!"
You beat me to the punch Charles! I waS going to post the same sentiment.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Neat pictures O.J. What are those blocks in the ground?

I rode an Arabian mare as a kid and she was solid as a rock. The ride on her was so smooth compared to my Uncle's Quarter horses and she was overall less skiddish on the trail. Only trouble came when she was tied to the fence, and a hot wire would arc on a barbed wire strand, and then the whole fence was coming down and you were coming with it. Couldn't fault her for being afraid of electricity though and figured that one was my fault when it happened. Here she is with my Uncle John who helped raise me as a kid. He was an awesome horseman and still my role model:

Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

OJ wrote: no one would pay more than $15 for him but paid $45 for my saddle and bridle.

How does the old song go:

On a $10.00 horse and a $40.00 saddle,
I'm off to punch them long horned cattle

I guess in inflation between the 1870's and 1930'saccounts for the five buck increase in both prices. :D

Image Image
UNITE!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

C. Cash wrote:Neat pictures O.J. What are those blocks in the ground?

I rode an Arabian mare as a kid and she was solid as a rock. The ride on her was so smooth compared to my Uncle's Quarter horses and she was overall less skiddish on the trail. Only trouble came when she was tied to the fence, and a hot wire would arc on a barbed wire strand, and then the whole fence was coming down and you were coming with it. Couldn't fault her for being afraid of electricity though and figured that one was my fault when it happened. Here she is with my Uncle John who helped raise me as a kid. He was an awesome horseman and still my role model:

Good looking horses (and cowboy also). Those "blocks" were flagstones dad made to cover most of the back yard and have less grass - the front yard was all grass. The back yard was previously garden for our fresh vegetables and potatoes in summer - I guess the local store must have started selling them.

We didn't have any public utilities - got water by windmill and huge storage tank in back your, electricity by wind charger (backup gasoline engine) was 32 volt which ran only light bulbs but better than kerosene lamps, and septic tank for sewage - I remember when we got indoor plumbing - a giant step up from the outhouse in those cold winters.

Thus, we had no electric fences and one bad habit I never cured was the horse didn't like being tied to a post when we stopped and he would pull back just enough to break the reins - I had the shortest reins in Grant County - he ultimately paid the price though because I ran the reins through the stirrups and secured them to the saddle horn - he couldn't eat or drink without my help.

I have the impression Earl is long gone and the Circle Dot company is now run by James, Robert, and Byron - none of which I knew. The Monahans banked and went to school in Hyannis - Grant County seat 15 miles west of Whitman.

My relatives still ranching there (well - in Cherry County just north) have strong negative feelings for Ted Turner who seems intent on buying all the Sandhills - paying high prices for the land thus raising the other's assessed value and their taxes.

My cousin used to tell a story about a Texan looking down his nose at out 10-20 section ranches and told him he could get in his pickup at sunrise and drive it as fast as it would go and, by sunset, he was only half way across his ranch. My cousin allowed he once had a pickup that ran like that but he got rid of it. :)

:twisted:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you OJ! I wish I could rewind time and get both of them back(my Uncle and the sweet little Arabian mare). I hope to see a scene that is similar to the photo when I cross the river myself...that would be alright with me. :) Sounds like a neat time and place that you grew up in. I'm still convinced I was born a hundred years too late! :wink:
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

We just got back into horse' after a long time living in town. I have found out, sadly, that a whole lot of the "nice brood mares" we see advertised in the local papers and on the Craigslist are better suited for coyote bait or dog food than they are to riding stock. After looking over some of the most untrained and sanity challenged horse' I have ever seen I bought a nice paint mare from a friend at work who kept having trouble with her dumping her seemingly at will. She would go on and be great then for no reason she would come un glued. The Boy is a small monster and a glutton for punishment so he was all for her. Long story short, after showing her exactly what we expected of her the boy and I have NO trouble with her. She goes where ever when ever. BUT, she dumps my one daughter every time she gets on and even tries to bite her and step on her. Her TWIN sister can ride her bare back with no bridle up and down the highway with out a problem. I worked with the one daughter when she first started riding and I took ZERO guff from ole caddy while we were at it. My other girl couldn't wait for the old man(20 and knows EVERYTHING) so she started to ride by her self, and Caddy got the upper hand right away and that is how it has stayed. I won't bore you with my champion bronc riding on her BUT it was a long way to the ground a couple of times before I got P.O.'d and decided that she wasn't getting rid of me no matter what. I had to resort to an old Elmer Keith trick I read about in Hell I was there! A rolled up sleeping bag tyed over the front of the saddle to get my old fat knees under. that and more riding crop than I would have liked finally convinced her that I was the boss and a lot nicer when I got off at the scheduled stops!! She follows me around like a puppy; although she still doesn't care much for the lady we got her from! I am firmly convinced that the horse industry, and a lot of horse' themselves; were better off when we still had a kill market, some horse', like some people, can not be trusted in polite society and are better used as food!!
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

+1 on bringing back the slaughter market. Its hard enough to find a good horse as it is, dont need all the nags wasting our time. Sadly to many horses end up being nothing more than yard art.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Old Savage wrote:Not good to drop any of the 50+ crowd from five to six feet on the ground.
You don't have to be that old. I'm 28 and a horse broke my wrist this summer. A steel plate, six screws and a handful of pins later, my wrist is pretty much back to normal.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I haven't had horses in a few years, after a couple of back surgerys the doctor told me to quit working them. My son called late last nite to talk about an eight year old mare he is working for a woman that has several "pets". The mare was broke for barrel racing then not used for a few years. She is hard mouthed and won't even rein good, we talked about some bits and tiedowns and that he needs to get his friend to build a round pen for him. These modern horses just are not worked enough.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

A horse can definitely but a whoopin on a person.

I think now that horses are mostly used for just pleasure and just pasture ornaments for the most part. They don't have a job to do. Like any animal that stays caged up and released periodically, they'll act out a little. Plus, people don't use horses like they used to, so most people don't know how to tell/teach a horse whose boss. Sometimes a swift smack on the butt, obviously at the right time, is a good thing. I know most people now look at someone using a quirt/crop on a horse thinks it's cruel. But it's nothing to a horse. If you ever watch a group of horses in their environment they do a lot worse and it's natural.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

One see's alot of what JerryB and Kimwcook are talking about here in the North East as well. Horses and the horse industries are HUGE here, but excepting the Amish, you never see adults riding or using them. The yuppies buy up lots of land and put some beautiful Quarter Horses on it, but they are nearly all pasture ornaments. My wife and I can only shake our heads. Only the horse princess's are seen riding for lessons. I have been involved with therapeutic horseback riding here though and at least I get to help a kid to be on a horse....and get to be around them and smell some horse poop :)
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Jerry B is talking about Bbl racing... and thats about the best way I have ever seen to sour a horse.

Tie downs and womper stomper bits and more barrel pattern.... and they wonder why they get a high headed horse that acts like a mental case.

Small pen... snaffle bit... teach the horse to yeild to the bit...over and over again. If that foundation is not there you get a "hard mouthed" horse who braces against all pressure, gets stiff and resents working for you.

I cannot say enough about riding "performance horses" outside the arena either. Guys who rope, folks who bbl race forget that just riding a horse... anyplace outside the ring, is probably the best place to teach a horse what he needs to compete.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

You can feed a good one for the same price ....
AQHA Life Member
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

OJ wrote:I grew up a cowboy in the Sandhills of western Nebraska and Saturday was go to town - stock up day. I was pretty tight with what little money I had (that was depression days - 1938 - and I was only 12 years old) and my entertainment was going to the auction figuring something would come up I could afford.

They brought a good looking 7 year old gelding into the ring - that was considered prime age to work a saddle horse and average price was about $45. No one bid so I spoke up with a bid of $15 not expecting it would work - no one bid against me!!!

I was really embarrassed going down to pay for and pick up my horse - knowing everyone there knew something about that horse I didn't. I was right - the previous owner that broke that horse let the horse intimidate him. I was a pretty tough cowboy (in my mind at least) and, in a couple of days had him straightened out - mostly. The positive part was I could hire out to help move cattle from summer to winter range and vice versa, to the railhead for going to market, etc. - and the pay was $5 per day (plus chow - we slept out under a blanket most of the time) riding the rancher's horse - saddle & bridle (I had mine which cost $45) but owning my own horse and saddle and bridle, etc - the pay was $8 per day.

I paid for that horse the first five days I worked him !!!

However, the day came when I ran out of patience with his ignoring my "guidance" cutting cows out of the herd and I decided we would settle - once and for all - who was "in charge". I had some Mexican spurs a friend of dad's gave me - fancy LARGE rowels (pointy things in back) and silver mounted both inside and out - extra fancy. I took them down from the wall, put them on my boots, and got back on Fleet - my horse. Instantly, Fleet understood and converted to being a Christian. We were pretty well known - I worked rodeo rings in addition to my free-lance cattle herding and so on - so, when my parents moved to the city three years later, I figured I could get a decent price for him - WRONG - no one would pay more than $15 for him but paid $45 for my saddle and bridle.

Oh well, I had made a lot of money on him so I took my medicine and sold him and my equipment. You play the cards you're dealt in life. :roll:

He was one hard headed horse - I thought you all might like to see what it took to make a "Christian" out of him and that I was his "GOD". Note the silver mounting - even in the rowels :twisted:

I think they were given to me to be hung on the wall for decoration but I had a much better use for them - he never questioned my guidance again - :!:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ouch!!!!!!! :shock:

That ought to do it O.J. To a Vaquero a nice basic work spur! :wink:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Bullets are cheap; calves ain't. Shoot her and have a coyote huntin' party. You probably always wanted a nice horsehide coat, anyways.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

C. Cash wrote: Maybe time to give John Lyons a call? That or consult a horse psychic and she could tell why your mare is acting up! :wink: Perhaps for another post, but I would like to know more, and how that horse does.
Dang, I hope you were joking.

OJ,

I've had a couple horses that I swear, could SMELL spurs. They didn't even have to hear the rowels spin. If they were acting up, all I had to do was put on my spurs, and they found religion real quick.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
20cows wrote:I got Red from a horse trader that had gotten him from disgruntled grandaddy. I discovered why he didn't belong in the kid horse market not long afer I got him. It seems he was a little too fiesty for a kid horse. He will sometimes do a little two or three step "booger" and every time he's done it, I think to my self, "Yep, he'd a' just dumped a kid."

Glad to hear all that was hurt was your pride. I had a new horse that I was training come over backwards on me once in the middle of a ceremony.

MY PRIDE GOT HURT TOO!
I had one flip over backwards and land on my left nut. FYI, I doesn't feel as good as you'd think!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Travis Morgan wrote:
C. Cash wrote: Maybe time to give John Lyons a call? That or consult a horse psychic and she could tell why your mare is acting up! :wink: Perhaps for another post, but I would like to know more, and how that horse does.
Dang, I hope you were joking.

OJ,

I've had a couple horses that I swear, could SMELL spurs. They didn't even have to hear the rowels spin. If they were acting up, all I had to do was put on my spurs, and they found religion real quick.
Well - yes - that was my experience - those big rowels did "jingle" some when I walked and swung into the saddle and that was the enough to convince Fleet I meant business.

:twisted: :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fun readin'. Especially since I wasn't the one flyin' thru the air with the greatest of ease! Show me someone who sez they've never been throwed, and I'll show you someone that ain't ever rode. Think that was one of Will Rogers' truisms. But, it's no less true, no matter who said it!

I have two granddaughters of Poco Bueno. When I first bought them in 1991 they were 9 & 6. The nine year old is one of the "bulldog type" quarters, 'bout 900lbs and 14.1 if ya use a loose measure, her full sister is 15.2 and 'bout 1100#. When I bought them the old guy said, "Missy (Miss Fits Poco) is a trained cutter and barrel horse, but ain't real fast, she'll turn on a dime and has a light mouth. Her sister, (Ms Poco Flit Bar) is only green broke, but willing... sometimes!"

I found out fairly quick what "green broke" means to a Texas old timer!

Three buckles and 12 years on the Sheriff's Posse as a sworn peace officer have left their own memories, a few cow tales and even more friends! These two have certainly earned their right to become "yard art"!

Preparing to patrol tornado-torn, Lancaster, TX ("Missy"):

A training session ("Missy"):

Photo oppurtunity for a magazine article on truckers in sports ("Poco"):

And the adrenalian of competition ("Missy"):

One story of "Poco", the younger sister... in about '95 I drove down to Columbus, TX to compete in their 1st mounted shoot with Poco, who'd showed some improvement in her "handle" in training for the Sheriff's Posse and my practice arena around firearms and bursting balloons. The organizers had said they were using a ropin' arena and it would be freshly sanded and groomed in time for the match. So, as "Missy" had been bred, and "Poco" was almost ready for public use, I decided I'd leave Poco unshod and just trimmed her up good and loaded her up for the 5 hour drive the morning of the match. I planned on staying overnite after the event, so she'd have a chance to rest up for the ride home. Well... all the promises aside, the arena was freshly "mowed" and mostly cleared of round bale residue! Well, during one stage they set a turn right in the middle of a slick spot where a round bale had been laid. Not a tight turn, but it was about a 90º. Well, you guessed it, Poco slipped during that turn and went right down on her chest, front feet in front of her, and hindquarters off to one side. Being the prudent type, I kicked outta the stirrups to be clear and was just waitin' till she gave an indication of which way she was going to roll, so I could bail off in the opposite. All of a sudden, I was back up 5+ feet in the air with my saddle firmly under me and she was running to the next target! We made the next turn a little slower than normal and made the last turn ("U") a lot slower than usual and raced down the last 5 targets as fast as she'd go with my legs just a'floppin' around. I do believe that I was as surprised as anyone that I was still astride and upright in the saddle! We slid to a nice stop throwin' up a little cloud of what dust was under that grass! Two comments were made to me that have lasted the ensuing years... from my friend Eudean, "okay, I take back everything I ever said about some yahoo from CA not bein' able to ride anything except the buckin' bronc outside Wal-Mart!"; and from my wife, "you gol-derned fool, you're 44, think you're 22 and act like you're 11!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I bet that was a sight to behold!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

ndcowboy wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Not good to drop any of the 50+ crowd from five to six feet on the ground.
You don't have to be that old. I'm 28 and a horse broke my wrist this summer. A steel plate, six screws and a handful of pins later, my wrist is pretty much back to normal.
Well that reminded me of some x-rays I have from a previous wreck.
ImageImage
Gentlemen, what you see here is the steel in my right leg. Notice the long bolt in the first picture. It was supposed to be removed when the foot/ankle joint mended. In the second picture you can see that it broke off and a good bit of it is still there. Oh, well...

When this wreck happened, I weighed well over 300 pounds. Now at 170, I do a lot of things differently. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

20cows wrote:I bet that was a sight to behold!
I don't know... nobody had a camcorder running. But, from my seat it all happened a little too fast. And I gotta admit, even I was impressed with how she did a sliding stop without any input from stirrups, boosted my confidence!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!