45 acp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

45 acp

Post by two bit okie »

Does anyone make a leveraction in 45acp??????
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 45 acp

Post by Pepe Ray »

Ed Harris has had 3 of them made by 3 different Smiths.
The first one was written up by the Smith ,Bob Snapp , in the July ,'83
American Rifleman. All have been on the Marlin '94 action because the Winnies are near impossible to feed the rimless cartridges.
The only thing keeping me from owning one, or 2, is MONEY.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

ACP can be done, but it's complex. The barrel must be rechambered, the bolt face built up, and the extractor re-configured, along with a new, custom carrier installed.

A less complex method of running a short cartridge is also available that only needs a custom carrier and some other minor touches in a marlin, and just a carrier in the toggle links.

Cowboy .45 Special is an ACP-length round with a .45 colt size case head. A couple dozen Marlins have been successfully converted by Gary Blansett spur45@macomb.com and 66 or 73 rifles (as well as 60 Henrys) can be converted in 10 minutes using a new carrier I designed. I converted the first one in a few minutes, and it shot very well. Probably close to 50 of those are currently in use for CAS.
See cowboy45special.com for the details on either.

I have two of Gary Blansett's Marlin conversions. In a 24" CB-L, the rifle holds 17+1, and in a 16 incher, holds 10+1. Hot handloads I made up for my kid to hunt deer with moved a 230 XTP at 1400 fps. Not "hot" compared to the longer cases, but since the bullet is designed for ACP, it performs superbly at that velocity. On the other end of the scale, loaded for CAS, it's a real sweetie with almost nothing for recoil, yet sufficient pressures to burn well and group nicely.
Certified gun nut
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

DRC is converting a Marlin 1894 from 45 Colt to 45 ACP for me right now, it should be done soon. I will post some pics when I get it.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

How about .45 Auto Rim?

Cat
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

No. Why would it be considered?
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think I recall one being made in ".45 Cowboy", which looked very similar to the .45 Schofield round. That rim is important!!! :D
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Just for grins, I'd stick to lead bullets only in an ACP conversion. Just can't get comfortable with a primer sitting on a round of GI-type hardball. I know recoil is nil, but bumping the butt on the ground or a little rough handling might just bring a surprise. They call me MR. Sissy. When you get tired of it, who knows what kind of beginner might be handling it, then blame you or your family for their stupidity. Just something to keep in mind. Why do you think the factories passed on the idea? Their prototypes are hidden away.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I think I recall one being made in ".45 Cowboy", which looked very similar to the .45 Schofield round. That rim is important!!! :D
IIRC adairondackjack here is involved with that...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Just out of curiosity does anyone know about how much the conversion would cost?

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

As a guide to cost, my marlin 1894 CB-Ls were converted to Cowboy .45 Special (cowboy ,45 special is essentially a .45 ACP with a .45 Colt rim. See cowboy45special.com ) by Gary Blansett spur45@macomb.com It was three years ago (so prices may have gone up) but the conversion, consisting of a custom carrier, built from scratch, relocating the ejector, fitting the lever to achieve timing, and a complete "race action job" for CAS, ran right around three hundred bucks.

I was so tickled, I bought a twin rifle (from a guy here on leverguns), and had Gary do that one as well. At the time, these were the first and second rifles so converted for my then-brand new round. He's done a couple dozen since.

Not only is the rifle converted (fully reversible, BTW, just put the original carrier back in and move the ejector to it's original location), but the action is "short stroked", rendering the lever throw about an inch and a half shorter than stock. A similar conversion, done by the same smith, in .38 long colt (I think) holds the world record for ten rounds fired (something like 1.8 seconds).

the 24" version will hold 17+1. I'm having one of mine cut to 16.25", which will still hold 10+1.

If ya think the round is strictly a CAS puffball, I load it up to 1375-1400 fps with a 230 XTP for my 14 yr old to carry for white tails. That little ACP 230 is a nasty critter at that speed.
Certified gun nut
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

adirondakjack wrote:If ya think the round is strictly a CAS puffball, I load it up to 1375-1400 fps with a 230 XTP for my 14 yr old to carry for white tails. That little ACP 230 is a nasty critter at that speed.
And would probably be a dandy truck rifle in urban areas!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

My Dakota has a padded shelf overhead, mounted to the visor mounts, and the visors relocated onto it. The rifle is gonna be 33" long. not that I would carry it there, a loaded rifle in the truck being illegal in NY, but I could ;)
Certified gun nut