What is going on with Chaparral Arms?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kb466
Levergunner

What is going on with Chaparral Arms?

Post by kb466 »

Has Chaparral Arms shut down? I have been unable to bring up their website the last couple of days. but can't do so. The other related websites that used to show up in a Google search seem to be gone too. I noticed that the Charter Arms (who was handling the US sales and services) site is still there, but no Chaparral.

I have been trying to get some replacement parts (breech bolt, carrier block and magazine plug) to replace some defective parts in my 1876 rifle. I talked to them in December and they said they would send out the parts, but they have not arrived. Now when I go to their website, I can't bring it up.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is going on with Chaparral Arms?

Post by kimwcook »

I hope for your sake they're just updating. But, more than likely, their running.

I'd really like to eventually pick up one of their '76's in 45-60, but alas, I think their going under because of being to slow at responding to their initial problems. I hope I'm wrong. I hate to see anyone go under, especially an arms dealer or manufacturer.
Old Law Dawg
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Most of the Chaparral line have been closed out to CDNN and they are discounting them out, AS IS. I feel sorry for the folks who got stuck with one of these turkeys as i have yet to see one new from the box that didn't need work. Luckily most of the Uberti parts will fit.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

KCSO wrote:Most of the Chaparral line have been closed out to CDNN and they are discounting them out, AS IS. I feel sorry for the folks who got stuck with one of these turkeys as i have yet to see one new from the box that didn't need work. Luckily most of the Uberti parts will fit.
How close are the Chapie's compared to the Uberti's? Anyone know? KCSO?
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hoist to their own petard, methinks...

Judging by the examples of JUNK they put out, under the guise of FIREARMS, I can only wish them a speedy demise. The '76s I've seen (from Chaparral) would not be a credit to a bunch of crack-smokin' 7th-grade shop students.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I hate to hear that. Guess I better take my SRC out this afternoon and shoot it some more. Maybe it will finally break and give me cause to cuss it. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I thought the 76s that were on CDNN were the ones importer Charles Daly rejected because they were marked Charles Daily. They were made by the same company as the Chaparral line.

I see that there are Chaparrals in the new CDNN catalog but there are winchesters, rugers, & colts there too. There was no mention of a close out, KCSO, are they in a new flyer?

I've had no problems with my 40-60 Chaparral.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
kb466
Levergunner

Post by kb466 »

Well, I for one would not like to see Chaparral leave the market-- and not just because I would like to get some replacement parts. For what I am doing with my 1876, the Chaparral fits the bill. I build rifles, muskets and the like as close as possible to the originals. I decided that I wanted to build an 1876 Winchester and the Chaparral was better for my needs than a Uberti, as fine as they are. The points in favor of a Chaparral are that they are more like an original than the Uberti-- that is well known. Also, the barrels are reportedly very accurate. In fact, my .45-75 barrel seems to have the contours of an original Winchester "heavy" barrel. Yes, there are lots of quality control issues-- mostly from oversanding and overbuffing as far as I can see. As a result of this lack of care, the breechbolt on mine is missing the lower stabilizing lug and the receiver lines are way off and rounded. The stock is undersize. I am correcting these problems. I am recontouring the receiver by hand and restocking in American black walnut. It will also be remarked, refinished in prototypical fashion and get new sights. I'll post some photos of my progress later, if I can figure out how to do so.

Anyway, enough of my personal project. I noticed this evening that the Italian Chaparral website is back up. They are even announcing a new 94 Winchester. This news is dated late 2008. The link is:

http://www.chaparralarms.com/

Still nothing comes up on the US website for Chaparral through Charter Arms. I hope it is just a temporary glitch.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No problems with my Chaparral .50-95. :D
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

They are even announcing a new 94 Winchester. This news is dated late 2008. The link is: http://www.chaparralarms.com/
I wondered how long it would take the Italians to tool up to make 94s.

They list their 66 Win in .357 Mag !? Do they use a steel bushing to better transfer the thrust from the toggle link into the gunmetal receiver?
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

If you do a little digging....

That's Chaparalfirearms.com is owned by MKS Supply
http://www.mkssupply.com

I first thought Charlie Brown was a joke but no that's the President ;)

If you care you might find that answer there...
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Chaparral quality in my expirience.
Everything here is documented as I saved all the e Mails and photo's...

When the guns were first announced i ordered a new 73 in 38-40 and when it arrived the gun would not chambber ammunition. The chamber was cut too short and the case jammed into the rifling. I sent and E Mail and was told that this was impossible as they used Manson reamers, so I sent a photo of the cases and the rifle barrel with a Manson reamer in the chamber 1/10 of an inch from full depth. I then talked to Charliie Brown and I said that if the chamber was the only problem I would just rehamer it myself. When i went to rechamber I found that the barrel was way oversize, I could stick a 40 caliber bullet into the barrel by hand! The gun went back and the replaccment arrived, The rear sight was cut double, the barrel was oversize again and all the parts were mis matched. Chharlie told me the barrel was witin spec and that they would replace the sight. The chamber in this rifle was also slightly undersize and would chamber Winchester ammo but not Black Hills. I was told that the numbers on the gun mean nothing and so a 17 buttstock and a 23 fraame and a 34 sideplate is normal. I took the rifle to Upper Missouri and showed it to Doc Carlson and he just shook his head. Meanwhile we unboxed the new 40-60 he got in and the loading gate was jammed in the port and THAT gun had to be repaired also. Since then I have handled 9 more Chaparral guns and of the 9 6 needed some kind of work prior to being used. My 38-40 was sold at a consideralble loss for a wall hanger as with the oversize bore it would't shoot worth a hoot.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DavidFagan wrote:If you do a little digging....

That's Chaparalfirearms.com is owned by MKS Supply
http://www.mkssupply.com

I first thought Charlie Brown was a joke but no that's the President ;)

If you care you might find that answer there...
Thanks David, that's interesting!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Judging by the examples of JUNK they put out, under the guise of FIREARMS, I can only wish them a speedy demise. The '76s I've seen (from Chaparral) would not be a credit to a bunch of crack-smokin' 7th-grade shop students.Regards

Buck

Well, those 7th grade shop students must have more skill than I had in 7th grade! posted these photos before, here they are again. 100 yard groups from the bench.
I did refinish the stock (top photo). Look at the case colors and the wood/metal fit.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Based on what I was told from the Canadian importer, the 22LR lever they list as "coming soon" is going to be based on the 9422.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hobie wrote:I hate to hear that. Guess I better take my SRC out this afternoon and shoot it some more. Maybe it will finally break and give me cause to cuss it. :lol:
Even a blind hog turns up an acorn now wnd then...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Hobie wrote:I hate to hear that. Guess I better take my SRC out this afternoon and shoot it some more. Maybe it will finally break and give me cause to cuss it. :lol:
Even a blind hog turns up an acorn now and then...
I often say that very thing!
Sincerely,

Hobie

kb466
Levergunner

Post by kb466 »

I still say that I hope Chaparral remains in business. As far as I can tell, their problems arise from bad detail, fit and finishing work. Otherwise, their 1876 rifle duplicates an original Winchester well, unlike the more finely finished Uberti. The Chaparral is made from good, tough 4140 steel. Though it makes it hard to work, as I have found out on mine, it also makes for a strong, durable action. The barrels seem to be quite accurate and shoot well from all reports. However, they need to fix the finishing work. the attentions to details and the overly-enthusiastic use of the buffer. If they could do this, I suspect they would have a fine product.

I am totally reworking mine to match an original in most respects. Though it has turned out to be a lot of work, I am quite happy with how it is turning out. I purposely chose a Chaparral for my project over a Uberti for the stated reasons. However, I am having to fix a lot of things I should not have to fix, and that Chaparral should not have overlooked.
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

My 45-75 was a 'work in process' until I got the innards squared away. But from day one - It Shoots

100yd Target
Same Recipe ...200yds- Patches is no X (nasty winds) Winds calmed down ... 300yd group (Patches with X's)
Regards
John
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If new companies would only keep one thought in mind. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Best not to blow it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Leverluver wrote:If new companies would only keep one thought in mind. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Best not to blow it.
That's the living truth! :shock: