Ruger LCR (Lightweight Compact Revolver)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Ruger LCR (Lightweight Compact Revolver)

Post by nemhed »

Today was the first I had seen or heard anything about these. I have to hand it to Ruger, they don't seem to be resting on their laurels. I don't plan on trading my S&W 442 (Airweight J-frame) just yet. Maybe Jeff Quinn will have the low down (down low?) on these soon.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCR/
Hobie

Re: Ruger LCR (Lightweight Compact Revolver)

Post by Hobie »

He already does. Check out Gunblast.com
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:He already does. Check out Gunblast.com
Dated today, I guess today was the official press release. I couldn't help but laugh, some guy on another forum called the LCR the "Latest stuff Recalled". :lol: :lol: Probably not funny if you work for Ruger.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Spendy little devil, aint it! :shock:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hmmm, that might have to go on my wish list.
NRA Life Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

That's the ugliest revolver I've ever seen. Looks like the accountants and lawyers are full in charge of Ruger these days. I'd call it Sturm/Ruger, but it seems they no longer pay homage to the fellow with the capital to get it all started. Sad to say, but I fear that Ruger's days are numbered.

The other thought I had is, how many days till they recall it? The last two nes handguns were recalled in short order.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've read Jeff Quinns report. I've looked at the pictures. I've read the price.

~and~

If there is any Ruger that would drive me to buy a S&W this one is it. It's the ugliest revolver I've ever seen. Plastic, aluminum, and stainless put together like a plastic bottom feeder with a lock inside.

NO THANK YOU!.

They can keep it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I will need to read the article. Looks like a compliment to the recent "LCP" Ruger introduced last year. I don't think these are meant to be works of art, but rather, tools for CCW use.

I can handle and even appreciate ugly if it serves a purpose...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I will need to read the article. Looks like a compliment to the recent "LCP" Ruger introduced last year. I don't think these are meant to be works of art, but rather, tools for CCW use.

LCP=Latest crappy pistol.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Funky!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The only things it seems to offer over the SP-101 is

a) it weighs less (recoils more) - if you can't handle carrying a 25 oz. SP-101, perhaps you should stay inside with the grownups?

b) it is theft-proof (so ugly nobody would steal it! :lol: ) - sure, I don't care much about 'looks' in a CCW gun, but yuck...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Can you get that in a real gun-that is just plain butt ugly!Hope I'm not in trouble for the way I put it but there has to be a limit on ug factor even for ruger handguns and that passed in way back!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I will need to read the article. Looks like a compliment to the recent "LCP" Ruger introduced last year. I don't think these are meant to be works of art, but rather, tools for CCW use.

I agree. I'll certainly look one over. Something a little lighter than what I currently carry wouldn't hurt. And if the trigger is all its said to be, that would be great. Oh wait, one of the grownups are calling me into the house. We'll talk later.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'll bet they'll have one at the SHOT show. It would be nice if it were sitting on a stand with a motor on it to make it click, click, click the whole time the show is going. Maybe even put a counter on it for effect.

As I sit here with my S&W 640 in my pocket I wonder why?

Real guns are made from steel and walnut.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idiot wrote:Oh wait, one of the grownups are calling me into the house. We'll talk later.
:oops: Sorry. I'm lucky enough to live in a 'gentle' CCW state, and never have to worry about concealment beyond just social graces, so a paddle-holster under an un-tucked shirt, sweater, or jacket is able to make a 25 oz. weight so light that I forget it is there until I sit in a chair with a hard back.

The thing I dislike about revolvers isn't so much the weight, as they are so LUMPY! 'Old Slabsides' the 1911 really pushes the weight, but at least it isn't lumpy...

Back in the 1970's, when working in ghetto pharmacies and hospitals in Cincinnati, the only handgun I had available was a Super Blackhawk, and there was NO "CCW" there back then. (Supposedly all carry was OK per the original state law, and no permits required, but over the years that 'evolved' to zero carry for anyone.) So, there I was, having to conceal a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk in a Bianchi shoulder holster when I hoofed it or rode the bus. Fortunately after a few months I got a Charter Arms Bulldog; I'm sure if I'd ever had to use the Super Blackhawk during an armed robbery (I was in a couple) the lawyers and media would have had a cow about that. Guess God was on my side.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Like J Miller I read the article, looked at the pics, read the price and IMO it's not that bad.

Since it would be in a holster 99% of the time the looks don't bother me. I'd be more concerned with having a durable finish in this case over pretty lines. I have pretty firearms to look at and take to the range. If it's reliable enough to pull my cajones out of an open fire, pretty is secondary. Period.

I'd have to hold it before passing judgement of the grip size/shape.

If the trigger pull is as good as advertised, there's a big plus in my book.

The prices listed are suggested MSRP and as long as you don't have to be the first kid on your block to have one (or have a really good pusher, I mean dealer), you'll find one for less than MSRP not long after they come out (unless it really takes off like blue blazes). Even the MSRPs aren't out of line with what I've seen for many new production CCWs.

The $64 question is did Ruger learn from the mistakes with the LCP and get this right the first time around? To be honest, I have no idea what the LCP issues were since I have no interest in them.

I love the S&Ws I've had over the years and sure wouldn't turn my nose up at anymore that came my way at a decent price but I won't turn my nose up at the LCR either IF it lives up to the ad copy.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Interesting revolver. Certainly, many production DA pulls could use a lot of improvement. I look forward to more information on them. I can't say I have a hankering for one. I'd like to see them bring out a Bearcat with a bit more oomph, even a .32 ACP would be nice.
billyk338
Levergunner

Post by billyk338 »

If it turns out like other Ruger firearms(Excepting SR9 and LCP)it'll be a durable,dependable,long lasting firearm. :)
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Boy am I gonna tick people off here...but here goes....
Its ugly, yes, but so are.......well, that plastic "gun" from Austria that everybody in the world but me ohhhs and ahhs over. And they sure sell.
Ruger has a lightweight gun here...not everybody lives in friendly states..and small and lightweight is a big conern. it will be interesting to see what it does.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I'll bet anything that the first complaints Ruger gets about that piece will be from people wanting a non-fluted cylinder.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I think it looks interesting, to say the least - I think they are doing what any good company should - look at where the sales are at - then try to build a better mousetrap...
this is their attempt at S&W and Taurus...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

I thought it is a great nitch filler. a quality company stepping in with a gun that will no doubt see some measure of success due to it's weight and other features. i just purchased a 642, but it was after much consideration cause it to me is extremely ugly with that funny step in the back. i prefer the looks of the old hammer. i purchased the 642 out of a good price, and it did what i needed most. easy conceal, no snag(read ugly), 38 spcl +P. it was function that sold me more than looks. i suspect others will get one stictly based upon function over looks. all that said, i didn't find it all that ugly....maybe i am just not good and awake. it was a late, late night and i am moving slow this morning.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno - I like what I'm seeing. :shock:

I'm more a revolving type of guy, than automatically enthused - but would want to fondle one before opining any further.

I LIKE lightweight CCW's - since in the 40+ years I've carried almost daily, I've only had draw twice, and never had to fire, except in practice.

I could probably live w/o the Crimson Trace grips, and would like to handle one with the standard grip.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Man, I thought the SR9 was a turd! This thing redefines the word!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry guys, but that thing is so ugly I wouldn't get caught dead holding it.
Old Law Dawg
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I thought it was a higher quality Kel tec.

If I was a .380 kind of guy I'd probably buy the little Ruger. They are chasing a concept here...those little Secamps have a cult following almost. There is a market for little mouse guns that you can carry in deep concealment or in a pocket...

OOOPS ... It is a revolver... I thought we were talking about those little .380s from last year. :oops:
Last edited by Hillbilly on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

No sweat AJMD429, we're all just having some fun.

I carry a small five shot revolver when I'm not carrying a subcompact Glock. The revolver hides much better than the Glock but can be heavy at the end of the day when I take my small grandson out for a walk. During those times a very light weight revolver would be just right. The real small semi-autos usually chamber real small cartridges and I don't trust them - the guns or the cartridges. So this new Ruger is very interesting to me and may become my "relaxing" gun.

Oh, BTW I use Galco "Fletch" holsters for concealed carry. They do a great job of keeping the gun tucked right against my fat sides and are still easy to get to when needed. I recommend them highly.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Better now...looked at the promotional web information....

That is a ugly little thing. I dont think I will be trading the 36 or the taurus 85 for a ruber (rubber ruger, get it?)

I guess if I was 25 or so today that ruber would be an option ..but I know what I like at 50.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IMO it's a better option than a 6 shot .380 that throws brass everywhere for the "bullet ID" people to pick up.

5 rounds of .38+P LSWCHP is nothing to sneeze at, and better than .32 or .380 (maybe 9mm).

I'll still tote my .357 SP101, but a truly pocketable .38 with a good triggerpull can't help but be a "Good Thing".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Like most of us, my first thought was man thats ugly. But then I started thinking about the purpose it was for, and ugly don't matter. If a feller is in the market for a small compact revolver (and I am) then I would have to check it out. I've always been a fan of Ruger revolvers, especially the security six series, and if this one proves to be durable and accurate with a good trigger and a front sight that can easily be changed out for night sights and actual street price comes in less than a airweight Smith then Ruger may just have something.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

An ugly woman might well be a good cook and housekeeper. Do you want function or appearance? I have a 642. Depending on the ultimate street price, I would look at one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That gun is a tool, plain and simple. I don't care what it looks like if it's just my CCW. The features they list seem to make it a dandy carry gun. It's not the best looking thing, but I don't think it's that bad either.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One thing you might consider is that ANY gun you use for this purpose, i.e. one that is fired in "anger", will look ugly as sin when it comes out of the evidence locker. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't care what a concealed pistol looks like, cause I am not supposed to see it anyway. :roll: To paraphrase Forrest Gump, ugly is as ugly does. If it works as well as the SP101 and is a whole lot lighter, then it might improve in the looks category. I'll just wait a little while to find out if it is going to be truly worthy of the Ruger name.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's ugly, but IMO so is every revolver.

I'll wait to handle one, see how it performs, and listen for reports on malfunctions and field performance.

I will check one out.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

piller wrote:I don't care what a concealed pistol looks like, cause I am not supposed to see it anyway. :roll: To paraphrase Forrest Gump, ugly is as ugly does. If it works as well as the SP101 and is a whole lot lighter, then it might improve in the looks category. I'll just wait a little while to find out if it is going to be truly worthy of the Ruger name.
I think people will use a CC handgun more like they'd ought to, if they're not concerned about it's finish.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1