Help with 336 magazine/barrel interference

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Help with 336 magazine/barrel interference

Post by kasTX »

I could use a little help with a pre-safety Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I picked up a while ago. I got it used, in pretty good condition, with only minor rust spots on the metal here and there and a few honest scratches in what is otherwise some nice, well-fitted wood.

I took it to the range and found accuracy to be lacking compared to my other, newer 336 in the same caliber. So I took it apart, with some difficulty. The band at the front of the forearm was so tight I had to tap it off with a hammer and a block of wood. And the front band was so tight I had to do the same. Then I discovered why. Here is a picture of the barrel and magazine at the muzzle with the magazine in its "relaxed" position:

Here is a picture of the barrel and magazine at the receiver (again with the magazine in its "relaxed" position). Note how the magazine is just touching the bottom of the barrel:

Now, if I put the front band on, the magazine is bent one way to curve around the bottom of the barrel, then the other way to follow the very front two inches or so of the barrel. Note that the gap from before is now completely gone. The following picture shows how far I was able to get the band without forcing it due to the amount of bending in the magazine:

Looking at the bottom of the barrel, you can see where some of the barrel has been hogged away to lessen this problem (is this something Marlin does?):

Has anyone seen this before? If so, what is the recommended fix? One thought was to file/mill down the bottom of the barrel where it has already been hogged out, to make it even with the flat spot already there as shown here:

Maybe there is a front band out there with a larger spacing between barrel and magazine?

Thanks in advance.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have 1966 Texan SRC that exhibits the same tight fit that you describe. As you know many factors contribute to accuracy. If you are comfortable with your loads and you have addressed other potential accuracy gremlins then you may try tightening/loosening the barrel band screw. Give it a whirl. Others have reported dramatic results with this adjustment. 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The flat on the bottom of the barrel ( "hogged out") was done at the factory. The fit of the front band is typical. you could relieve it some by polishing the inside of the band with emery paper wraped around a dowel. Same with the stock band. Be carefull and don`t over do it and end up with a loose assembly that makes the gun feel like its falling apart.
:(
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The tube should fit straight from front to rear. Thats why the bottom of the barrel is relieved. Your new one is the same. It shouldn't need to bend to lay up against the bottom of the barrel but the bands are usually snug.
Is the forend holding it down maybe?
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

The tube should fit straight from front to rear. Thats why the bottom of the barrel is relieved. Your new one is the same. It shouldn't need to bend to lay up against the bottom of the barrel but the bands are usually snug.
OK, that tells me that the problem is with the band. Without the band, the magazine runs parallel to the barrel without any pressure on it, leaving a 1/8" gap between the two at the muzzle. The band, however, wants the magazine to be up against the bottom of the barrel, and the magazine must be curved to accommodate that.
Is the forend holding it down maybe?
The forend does not appear to be a problem. The bending noted above happens without the forend even on the rifle.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I think you might have a problem. The Barrel and the magtube should run parallel with or with out the barrel bands. Looking at your pics the tube and bbl are touching at the reciever but there is a sizeable gap at the muzzle end. That would say to me that either 1) some thing is bent, or 2) the mag tube wasn't fitted properly in to the hole in the reciever causing it to vere away from the bbl at a slight angle.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I agree with JREED, I think the magazine is inserted at a wrong angle!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

You guys are onto something I think. I'm working from memory but I think all my barrels are relieved right up to the reciever. His stops short, kinda negates the whole relief cut no?