Range Report lesson learned

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Range Report lesson learned

Post by 505stevec »

Well I finally loaded up 50 rounds of 45-70. These are my first ever! My very first bullet pushed aalllll the way back into the case (my daighter kept this to frame). :oops: I forgot to adjust the little nut at the top of the die. After that one, all went well and the last 49 were ready to go. I used Accurate 5744, 25 grains which the book said is a starter load. This pushed a 405 grain lead fp. I shot them out of my Pedersolli Sharps and my Springfield Trapdoor Carbine.

The Trapdoor liked them a little better but both shot minute of coke can at 75 yards pretty consistant. With the Sharps we shot out to a rock at 800 yards. What fun these 49 rounds were to shoot! I had bought 100 rounds of 45-70 last year when I got my Sharps and paid $120 then. I cannot touch that now. Today I figured this 50 rounds cost me about $14 to $15.

Well to the lesson:

The cases split. I remembered a thread here talking about polishing brass and what to use. Well, i used Brasso in my media. :oops: about half the cases split. I figure it was from this because we were shooting such low pressure rounds. They worked great and shot great but they still plit half the time. Well, I have 500 cases coming so I will trash the media i have and get something else to polish. Any suggestions?

One thing for sure. I AM HOOKED ON RELOADING!!! It was a great time for my son-in-law and i to have fun and the feeling of MAKING something that i like to do anyway. What a feeling! Too bad it got dard.

Do you think I should trash the 20 some cases that didnt split? Or should I try to reload them again? What loads do you all shoot? All I have at this point are 405 grain lead. my other powder if Trail Boss. I have not used this yet.

Sorry no pics maybe next time i will. Truthfully i did not want photographic evidence if i blew my guns up. :oops: :lol: Now I know i am good as long as i follow the directions.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Range Report lesson learned

Post by iceman »

Souns like a good time was had by all. Did the cases split length wise or parallel to the base?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

length wise on all. The brass looked a little wierd too on the ones that split. Brittle kinda, though they werent flaking or anything like that, just wierd.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Who manufactured the brass? Was it virgin, or did you reload it after being shot. If the latter, do you know how many times it may have been reloaded and fired?

Addicting, isn't it? :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hi 505Stevec, You did not say what brand the loads were that you bought. they may have been compromised by the Brasso or just bad brass.
I would change the media though.Try any brand of commercial treated corncob or walnut media.
The 405 gr.cast bullet over a proper load of Trail Boss is a great load. See the IMR powder web site for load data.
Have fun!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would toss them the brasso may have weakend them or they are a bad lot. Deffinatly replace the media you can get walnut shell from your locat pet store for cheap and it works well.

Welcom to the world of hand loading. Now you need to get dies for the rest of your guns. This only starts out sounding cheap waint until you start stocking up on bullets, primers, brass, and powder. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

OK they are gone. I have 500 cases comming so i can start over. What is this about walnut at a pet store? can you use something else as media besides what is at the gun store? I also may have a line into tire weights at a couple of tireshops in town. Casting will be in the future though. Just the thought of "making" my own bullets. Man I cant wait to go prairie doggin this summer. I want to try the 45-70s. I already have a $200 doller shopping cart on Midway and I dont even have the money! :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

505stevec wrote: What is this about walnut at a pet store? can you use something else as media besides what is at the gun store? :
Yep they sell the stuff in bags from 5-25# for use in reptile terariums. Much cheaper then what you get at the candy store. Oh Wal-Mart sells it also. I have used it in the past until my tumbler died and it did a great job on brass.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis