Safes - Michael Bane's Cannon Safe Saga

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Safes - Michael Bane's Cannon Safe Saga

Post by Hobie »

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... safes.html

You really need to read the whole thing. ( http://michaelbane.blogspot.com ) We've talked about safes here before. Many have agonized over the choice. I have to say that the S&G locks the military has on issue safes have never been a problem for me and I opened some of my safes (both new and many years old) many times each and every day for years without problems. I ialso think a quality safe is now very cheap insurance for most of our accumulations.

Anyway, Michael is darn funny about this. Just thought I'd share with y'all.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Safes - Michael Bane's Cannon Safe Saga

Post by Pete44ru »

That makes me very glad, indeed, that my Cannon has the old-fanny burp combination dial ILO the new-style electronic lock ! :roll:

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:That makes me very glad, indeed, that my Cannon has the old-fanny burp combination dial ILO the new-style electronic lock ! :roll:

K.I.S.S. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

That scares the stuff out of me.... I've got a Canon that's about 6 years old with the electronic lock. I didn't know there was a problem with them... :cry:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Even though the safe industry guys scoff at the RSC cabinets, I feel much safer with my Liberty.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought old school locks on all my safes. No fuss, and reliable. I sure don't want to be the one who can't get in when I need to!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
planeflyer21
Levergunner

Post by planeflyer21 »

I worked at SW for about a year. We had problems with kids coming in and whizzing the dials around, or hanging on the handles. That has a negative effect on the brass components inside.

The only problems we had with the electronic ones were dead batteries.

SW doesn't carry Cannon.

Jon
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've got a Fort Knox, with S&G lock. I usually leave it in the mode where I unlock it with the key, not having to work the combination every time. (Not stealing the thread----but) Is the safe any less secure in the key lock mode, as opposed to working the combination mode? Curious now.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mine's 3 years old now, might be time for a new battery at least.

Is it possible to change out to a combination lock?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I have a ( Liberty) with a dial and key lock . don't ever use the key ! I tried once and had mucho trouble trying to get things as they were ,got it back though finally and now just carry the key on my key ring .Heavy 1" sliding rods , good handle, fire rated I think about 1200. weighs about 600 lbs. More now with all my guns and boo-coo ammo. Might need a Back hoe to move the dang thing.. Beautiful maroon color . The only set back is I need another one. Can't get a bigger one through my house doors. And yes I got the safe after the horses got loose. ( robbed ) .
I reckon that should be the first item to buy , then start buying your firearms . That way you will never regret it. ...............................................Mutt
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Anybody know who makes "Browning" safes ?

No mention of who on their website.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Hall's Safe that I bought in 1982... that twisting dial is still up and running, nary a falter yet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I forgot I'd posted this video on my blog or that I'd written this short article with links to various safe sources. And here's Graffunder Safes, seen in the background...
Sincerely,

Hobie

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Update and supposed last segment in the Michael Bane Cannon safe saga. This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about my cannon.

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... story.html
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I bought a new safe last year. It's a Champion, which I think was made by Liberty. I struggled with making a choice between the old fashioned dial and electronic. I like the convience of the electronic pad, but in the end, since I have never had very good luck with anything electronic over the long haul. I decided on a dial.

I too open mine almost every day, and sometimes several times a day. I do worry about eventually wearing out parts. I guess time will tell.
NRA Life Member, Patron
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My current safe is only a couple years old, but I'm in it nearly every day. I like the convience of the electronic lock just for that reason and it's never given me any problems.
NRA Life Member
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Mutt,

Can you elaborate on the trouble you had with the key and your Liberty safe?
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yo, Yo, Yo, Yo, Hobie-Dog, dats some article youse has posted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

For those with less money consider a used bank safe. I bought a second hand bank safe ( 4'x4'x6') on wheels from a place that sells used bank and business safes. It is very heavy, it took six of us with a block and tackle to get it off truck and into basement (via large door, now replaced with a wall).Much cheaper than fancier purpose built gun safe, just as secure in my opinion. Just a thought.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know at least one fellow who converted a bank building (with vault) into a home just to get the vault.
Sincerely,

Hobie