North Fork 450 gr Cup Point Solid

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

North Fork 450 gr Cup Point Solid

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I just received an e-mail from North Fork. They make an all copper solid in .458 cal. It has a cup point and should act like a WFN hardcast, only better. The cup nose expands exceeding the meplat of any hardcast bullet. For those of us that live in the PRK who have to shoot lead free boolits, this is an alternative to the Barnes TSX bullets. Now you can shoot a Barnes 300 gr Hollowpoint or a 450 gr Solid. Now the downside. They are turned on a lathe and cost $127.50 per 50. I'd practice with lead bullets and save these for times when a solid is warranted. http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento ... ullets?p=2
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: North Fork 450 gr Cup Point Solid

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've been debating getting some of the 458-400SS bullets to try out. But they are about $102 per 50. That cup point solid looks like a great alternative to the Barnes. Not something I can shoot casually though at that cost.

Are these being made by the original NorthFork guy or is this another outfit that has bought out the name? I've read all of the material on their site and it's all pretty impressive. I'm attracted to the longer ogive style. It seems like many of the .458 bullets on the market in the 350-400 grain weights are the short ogive made for the 45-70 shooters.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey NonPC, how ya doin? :D Thanks for the link to North Fork. I copied it and sent it to myself for future reference when I get home. Here's another esoteric bullet for you! By Smalley designed and makes them. I met him at FoBD and he is quite literally a rocket scientist! :lol:

http://superiorballistics.com/

I also am curious about Rimfires question. I thought they were going out of buisiness at one point.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Tutt: Long time, no speak er write. I've been hanging out on the SASS Wire. New hobby. Also going back to college after 20 yrs. At 57 y/o, going back to school keeps me busy and tired. Anyway, back to North Fork. Their website has changed, but then I haven't visited that site for a long time. I just checked on a hunch. I assumed their FMJ bullets had lead cores like their soft points. I e-mailed them to see if the core was surrounded by copper. They responded that the solids are just that, solid copper. I was wondering if the CA Dept of Fish and Game would allow a blunt FMJ in the form of a WFN. Their whole beef is that lead is left in animal tissue eaten by the condor. If it is an FMJ WFN, then no lead would be left behind. The bullets should be cheaper to make. The problem is convincing bureaucrats that a bullet could contain lead and still be non toxic if it passes through the animal. It is the bits of lead from soft points that they are worried about. But then again, reason has little to do with politicians' decisions.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hey NonPC, how ya doin? :D Thanks for the link to North Fork. I copied it and sent it to myself for future reference when I get home. Here's another esoteric bullet for you! By Smalley designed and makes them. I met him at FoBD and he is quite literally a rocket scientist! :lol:

http://superiorballistics.com/

I also am curious about Rimfires question. I thought they were going out of buisiness at one point.

-Tutt
I checked out that bullet design and it's too bad the nose isn't shaped like the base. You'd have a WFN with a boat tail. Also his alloy has lead in it so I doubt CA DFG would allow it.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

On the SASS wire? Well, our loss is certainly their gain. I hope you have healed up well. Going back to college at ANY age is a big deal. I did it when I was 38 or so, and it just about did me in! :lol: (I swear writing the first 3 chapters of that master thesis thingamajig which thankfully was all I had to do tramatized me severely and I probably would have benifited from some counseling for PTSD!)

Your probably right about By's bullet having lead in it. I honestly don't remember. I will ask him and to be sure and get back to you. I just sent him a question to see if he could make it in 451 caliber for my stretched 454 Puma.

Anyhow, you sound good. Don't forget to pay us a visit from time to time, OK?

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Tutt: I'm in an RN to BSN program that is only 3 semesters. Good thing about going back to school at age 57..............COEDs! But those young ladies do make concentrating hard. :o
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good thing about going back to school at age 57..............COEDs!
Stop it will ya, you make me want to go back to school! :D

-Tutt

Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

The North Fork name and equipement was bought from the founder in Wyoming and moved to Philomath Oregon. I understand they are using some of the old equipement as well as some new cnc tools. As they are only about ten miles away, I plan to stop by someday and check it out.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

another option.

http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=18

I just don't know if the brass will expand like a copper Barnes will.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The 450 grain cup point would be too long for a 45-70 case, if that was your intent. Now get them to reduce the weight to 300 to 325 grain and it would work very well. Also the nose shape will have to be modified (shortened) to provide the proper OAL when crimped but with their machinery, that should be a small problem if it is any problem at all. They have the capacity to draw in CAD and transfer to the machinery.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Leverluver wrote:The 450 grain cup point would be too long for a 45-70 case, if that was your intent. Now get them to reduce the weight to 300 to 325 grain and it would work very well. Also the nose shape will have to be modified (shortened) to provide the proper OAL when crimped but with their machinery, that should be a small problem if it is any problem at all. They have the capacity to draw in CAD and transfer to the machinery.
Got another e-mail from North Fork. They said the exact same thing. They will be coming out with a 300 or 350 gr Cup Point Solid with a point that will flatten out at 45-70 velocities. Also they are in the process of getting thier all copper solids approved by CA DFG. I think the 350 gr Cup Point Solid will be a better penetrator than the 250 or 300 gr Barnes TSX HP. I would use the Barnes for deer and the North Fork for Bear and Large Hogs. And practice with lead bullets.