Lever-action "Range Report"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Lever-action "Range Report"

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, for some reason my wife thinks that shooting the .22's in the backyard may irritate the neighbors and cause the law to come a knocking on our door in an unfriendly manner, so we don't do so, much to my disappointment. :( This means it is hard for my daughter to get in practice with the pink-stocked .22 she got last Christmas.

Solution?

A pink-stocked BB gun for this Christmas! Specifically a LEVER-ACTION!!! (of course) :D :D :D

Here is a picture of it with my son's "Red Ryder" ("you'll shoot your eye out"):

Though her's is not officially a "Red Ryder", functionally it is identical.

Here is the backyard range:

And a close view of the target stand:

Of course, much of our targets are just cans scattered out in the foreground! A couple old Coke cans, with the soda still in them, properly shook up, make for fun targets!!! :D

And here are my two marks-kids:

Sorry - no ballistic data to share! :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever-action "Range Report"

Post by Borregos »

Good looking kids YK, love that "Pink Ryder" :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty Cool!!

Looks like fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's how it all starts, fun and games. Until someone gets shot in the eye.

Seriously, though. That's how I started. I must of shot two tons worth of bb's as a kid. I won't get into the bb gun fights.
Old Law Dawg
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Very cool; I like that look your son has in all his pics. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great kids and great parents to mentor them this way. Kudos.

Grizz
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sweet, I'm welling up here :lol:

Your the man YK :D

Say, could you not imform the neighbours before a session?
I tell nextdoor when I'm readying the ML shotgun, BOOM BOOM!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Good deal dad - I like your style and pick of boy/girl bb guns.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ha! I love it! :lol: YK, for what its worth, BB guns and air guns are not just for kids. I know of one Shootist who attributes his shooting skill to all the varminting he does with an air gun.

On one of my trips to the Billy Dixon Range in CO we had more fun blasting grasshoppers with Red Riders than you can imagine! In fact, were looking for a similar type BB gun rifle but with better sights for our next trip!

Nice pics, my friend and Happy New Year!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice pics and nice looking guns and kids. Hey!!!!!!! You didn't put double stick velcro on those kids and garage door and stick the kids to the garage door like all those stickers did you? :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:Ha! I love it! :lol: YK, for what its worth, BB guns and air guns are not just for kids. I know of one Shootist who attributes his shooting skill to all the varminting he does with an air gun.

On one of my trips to the Billy Dixon Range in CO we had more fun blasting grasshoppers with Red Riders than you can imagine! In fact, were looking for a similar type BB gun rifle but with better sights for our next trip!

Nice pics, my friend and Happy New Year!

-Tutt
Tutt, I certainly believe it! One of our favorite past times when I was growing up in Indiana was hunting bumble bees and wasps with our Red Ryders. A ton of fun!!! :lol:

I also agree - a good airgun makes for great practice as well as fun, and the skills are transferrable to real shooting!!!

Happy New Year to you too my friend! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote: I won't get into the bb gun fights.
I haven't told my kids those stories yet - and expecially not my wife, as she would probably seize their guns! :shock:

For years when I was growing up (I got my Red Ryder when I was 5), though my brothers and I had access to our BB-guns (they each got one when they hit 5 as well), my Dad controlled the access to the BB's. We would improvise when he was out of town, shooting small pebbles and such. Then when we were old enough to walk to the store ourselves, we soon discovered we could buy the BB's too. Back then no one blinked about a 9 year old buying BB's - and they were dirt cheap. We got into some terrible BB gun wars. Thinking back, it was terrible gun safety - but it was a lot of fun! :wink:

Finally got caught when we decided to have one inside the house while my parents were gone. Yes, though the Red Ryder is not that powerful, it will leave a BB half in the wall if you hit it right! It will also break the glass on pictures hung on the wall without a problem!!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

cowboytutt,
Daisy makes a target version of their bb gun, nice sight set up.

YK,
Excellent report. Beautiful kids. Your doing good Jay!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath wrote: Say, could you not imform the neighbours before a session?
I tell nextdoor when I'm readying the ML shotgun, BOOM BOOM!

Nath.
Nath, I'm embarassed to say, but in the development I live in, air guns are prohibitted. I found that out after moving here - and have chosen to ignore that rule. I picked the house specifically because it backed up to a small valley with a nice rise that actually belongs to an older neighborhood behind ours. Figured it would make an excellent back-stop (which it does). I only have 1/2 acre, so shooting firearms is out of the question (though, those little Aguila Colibri's make less noise than my pellet rifle! :wink: ).
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Modoc ED wrote:Nice pics and nice looking guns and kids. Hey!!!!!!! You didn't put double stick velcro on those kids and garage door and stick the kids to the garage door like all those stickers did you? :lol:
Tempted to sometimes! :D

I drive a company car, and they frown on any bumper stickers, so the inside of my garage doors have a ton of them. Allows me to collect more than I could ever have a vehicle wear! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:cowboytutt,
Daisy makes a target version of their bb gun, nice sight set up.

YK,
Excellent report. Beautiful kids. Your doing good Jay!
Thanks Mike - they get it from my wife, thankfully. Though both need a haircut something fierce!!!
brionic
Levergunner 1.0

Post by brionic »

Black peppercorns work nicely in the Red Ryder, as well, and they will raise a welt on the back of a snotnose neighbor. :lol:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Good lookin' gunslingers you got there!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you really want to shoot big guns in a residential area, you could do like a friend of mine and rent a backhoe, dig a 100 yard trench out to a 'mini-barn' (target handler), bury culvert pipe in pea gravel, install fans, and lights, and shoot whatever you want from the 'port' in your basement, regardless of weather or neighbors!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

YK, She is a cutie, your troubles have not yet started!!!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Cute kids, nice BB guns -- but where are the SLIPPERS in the pix?!?!

You're slipping Kid... :D

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Nice kids and a nice Dad for bring them up the proper way! I notice you dressed the kids up with clothes to match their guns! (How did you ever find a pink BB gun? :D )-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:If you really want to shoot big guns in a residential area, you could do like a friend of mine and rent a backhoe, dig a 100 yard trench out to a 'mini-barn' (target handler), bury culvert pipe in pea gravel, install fans, and lights, and shoot whatever you want from the 'port' in your basement, regardless of weather or neighbors!
AJ -

If I ever build my own house I have always planned to incorporate one of those - even if I'm not concerned about neighbors, it would make for fun practice on a rainy day!
mescalero1 wrote:YK, She is a cutie, your troubles have not yet started!!!
You got that right mescalero1!!! :shock:
Old No7 wrote:Cute kids, nice BB guns -- but where are the SLIPPERS in the pix?!?!

You're slipping Kid... :D

Old No7
15-yard penality assessed to the Kid! :shock: :wink: :lol:
Sixgun wrote:Kid,
Nice kids and a nice Dad for bring them up the proper way! I notice you dressed the kids up with clothes to match their guns! (How did you ever find a pink BB gun? :D )-----------Sixgun
My son is more often than not in camos, and my daughter in pink. Wasn't hard! :D

I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods, but I have also seen them advertised at Bass Pro Shops.