OT- DOUBLE OUCH!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT- DOUBLE OUCH!

Post by TedH »

Over the Holiday we traveled to the KC area to my wife's Aunt and Uncles place. He's a pretty good guy and general gun lover too. I knew from previous conversations that he was dying to shoot my NRA Krieghoff 470, but never came right out and asked. So I bring it along to surprise him. We get a target set up behind the house and I go over the general function of the rifle and hand him a couple cigar sized cartridges, explaining to him that the recoil is stout and he needed to maintain a firm grip and keep some weight on his front foot. He understands and hands me a video camera to capture the event.

The first two shots go well. They print a little low on the target, but the charging buff would have been put down. I take a turn and stop the enraged elephant that is about to stomp us in the ground.

My Uncle is ready for two more shots, but forgets to remove his rather heavy glove this time. Now if ever a two shot rifle could sound like a full auto, this was it. I heard two distinct reports, but within milliseconds of each other. At first I thought one of my handloads was faulty and blew up the gun. Once he picked himself up and we figured out what was going on, I realized that he had just yanked both triggers. He was not able to keep hold with the thick gloves on and the recoil of the first shot pulled his hand loose and moved his hold back enough to engage the rear trigger. Obviously his cheek weld had separated during the recoil of the first shot, just in time for the second shot and it really smacked him good. I guess there's nothing like sending 1000 gr. of lead downrange at once! Needless to say he was done shooting for the day and retired to a recliner by the fireplace with a double shot of vodka and a handful of Advil.

I just wish I had took video of the second time around to put on YouTube! :lol: He did at least manage to keep the rifle out of the snow. :D
NRA Life Member
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- DOUBLE OUCH!

Post by Jaguarundi »

:o :shock: :lol: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Now thats funny! Rhimfire and I were at the range a year or so ago and watched a guy touch off two rounds of 500 NE from his Merkel double gun.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

glad he is recovering well and I am really glad you took care of that rogue pacoderm. I have always thought one should have a double rifle for just such a case. Never know when the circus will come to town. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Good to hear the "rest of the story" turned out good in the end. I remember you getting that rifle, glad you're getting to shoot it some and enjoy, even though the ammo must be a little pricey for it.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

brucew44guns wrote: glad you're getting to shoot it some and enjoy, even though the ammo must be a little pricey for it.
Thanks, I am enjoying it immensely. But actually, I've not bought any factory loaded ammo for it yet. I bought new empty brass and had a bullet mold cut for it. By my calculations, it's costing me about $7.00/20 rounds to make my own ammo. Compare that to $17.00 per cartridge for Federal factory ammo. After trying different alloys, powders, charges, and fillers, I came up with a load that regulates perfectly and is more accurate than the target fired at the factory that accompanied the rifle.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang - that hurts just READING it!!! :shock:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

That's gonna leave a mark... :?

My Grandfather tells a similar story about him doing that with a twice barrel 10ga as a kid. He says they had to unscrew him out of the ground. :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Glad he's okay and he didn't drop the rifle.

Similar story. During qualifications I usually bring one of my biggenboomers with me because a lot of guys don't have a chance to see one let alone shoot one. My only stipulation is that they don't drop'em. Now, before someone starts telling me I shouldn't let inexperienced shooters shoot these type pistols let me say these guys are experienced shooters. They're qualifying for their duty pistols. Anyway, I have my Linebaugh 475 with some stout loads this time. A couple of guys have already shot it and this young deputy wants a turn. I go through the same spiel with him. Tight grip, but not too tight, don't fight the recoil just let it go. But, whatever you do don't drop my gun. Well, he steps up and with a two handed hold and takes aim. Immediately, I see that he hasn't watched exactly what everyone has done because he tries firing the single action by just pulling the trigger without cocking the piece. I tell him it's a single action and he has to cock the hammer first. He cocks the hammer and again obtains target acquisition. He starts milking the grip. Now, this piece has a custom trigger pull of about 2.5-3 lbs. Just as I start to tell him not to do that it goes off. The barrel flips around through his hands and smacks him right in the face. I'm standing at his right shoulder and I see what appears to be blood spatter all over him. Now, to his credit he doesn't just drop the gun. He's juggling it through the air just like a court jester. I immediately step up and attempt to secure the gun as it's making it's way to the ground and the gravel. My next thought was we had better get a hold of this before he inadvertantly cocks it and it goes off and seriously hurts someone. We catch it at about knee level without any further incident. I look at his face expecting to see blood and it's chew. When the barrel flipped over it smacked him right in the kisser and blew his pinch all over his face. Needless to say he didn't get to shoot a second round.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds brutal :roll: :roll:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

kimwcook wrote: When the barrel flipped over it smacked him right in the kisser and blew his pinch all over his face.

Ha! That would have been a good one to get on video also. :lol:
NRA Life Member
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

He won't soon forget that!!
Ouch.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Dang - that hurts just READING it!!! :shock:
:o +1