Takes all kinds!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Takes all kinds!

Post by jnyork »

So, this guy shows up at our Friday .22 rimfire silhouette shoot with one of his dad's .22 target rifles, which is fine, his dad is an old friend who can no longer attend. The son is a guy in his late 40's-early 50's. To go with the rifle he has camo BDU pants with the legs bloused into the tops of his combat boots, and a heavy OD sweatshirt. Around his waist is a GI web pistol belt of the Korean War vintage or so, from the belt dangles a 1911 of some sort in a GI holster, along with a magazine pouch, what appeared to be a first aid pouch and a very large Bowie knife in a sheath!! :shock:

He seemed a nice enough person, obeyed the range officer and from what we could tell enjoyed the shoot quite a bit and thanked us for past kindnesses shown to his father. Not one person remarked on his gitup, maybe he learned he really didn't need it for a .22 rifle shoot. We hope so. :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Takes all kinds!

Post by Blaine »

One can see interesting people at the local gun shows, as well :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Reminds me of back in 1993, our congressman who promised to be FOR "sportsmen" only to vote for the so called "assault weapons" ban showed up in our town for a townhall meeting. The local gunowners were MAD to say the least.

Gathered in that room were businessmen in nice clothes, the usual farmers, off duty cops, cowboys, but there was a bunch of guys there that I had no idea were even really part of our community. They were what I'd call LONG HAIR REDNECKS, mostly old Vietnam vets that live way up in the hills. Were they EVER vocal pro gun guys. That congressman was trying to remain cool but the pitted out sweat marks under his arms were about down to his belt, he was one nervous guy!!!!! Just taught me there are all types of us that are PRO GUN and I welcome them all. That congressman was voted out in the 1994 landslide, he moved over to urban Wa. State and is a congressman from over there.

Geoff
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You should be in Las Vegas when the Soldier of Fortune shoot is there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Maybe, most knew that gitup was not to be tread on, just like that congressman did? :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When newbies or news media are around, I try to act more the 'professional' stereotype because that is less scary to them and gives them a better first impression.

The IRONIC part of it all is how the stereotype of 'gunnies' is that we're a bunch of uneducated, ill-mannered half-drunk hillbillies who are willing to trade off all sorts of societal safety and security just so we can enjoy our eccentric, possibly dangerous, hobbies with less inconvenience. We're supposed to have all sorts of paranoias and irrational fears, and have very narrow cultural experience and make all our decisions based on ignorant stereotypes and prejudice.

In 40 years of hanging around 'gunnies' I find them to be culturally diverse, with an equally broad understanding of other cultures and socioeconomic segments of society, and to be generally self-sacrificing for their fellow citizens, without regard for their race, religion, or ethnicity. Many are among the most intelligent people I've ever met, and often there is formal education to accompany that, but it is not flaunted. It is the 'anti-gun' people who I see consistently tending to be cultural elitists and ethnocentric, their self-absorbed nature often polluting even any charitable causes they work for by its 'better than you' veneer; getting your name on the roster of volunteers or donators seems more important than just getting help to people who need it. When it comes to paranoias and irrational fears, I think the anti-gun yuppie crowd has us beat, fearing any gun that has things sticking out at odd angles, fearing that the presence of an inanimate object will make a rational person become reckless and violent, fearing these things even more than documented things like tyranny and genocide, which are REAL.

That irrationality is why I seldom wear camo if newbies or the media are around.

OTOH - when needed, most of us 'gunnies' do have the knack of showing enough 'redneck' or 'ghetto' in our behavior to get the other side nervous if need be. :twisted:

This guy probably was just trying to 'fit in' - or maybe like me, the only warm coat I have is CAMO!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

It's not uncommon to see folks around here dressed in cammo.

Of course I reckon we have more hillbillys than we do fashion police.

One thing I can tell ya is most of these boys can shoot. They know a thing or two about killing game as well.
AQHA Life Member