Suggestions for picking up a Win. 73

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Suggestions for picking up a Win. 73

Post by kimwcook »

While growing up I had a toy Winchester '73 rifle that shot plastic bullets out of a plastic casing. Pretty realistic looking back on it. I've always like the looks of the '73 and would like to start looking for a rifle in 38 WCF. My question is does anyone know of someone who deals in the old Winchesters that isn't going to want my first borns, first born, in exchange. Realistic pricing, not this over inflated stuff that generally runs on gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc.. Plus, they might deal in trades. Any honest to goodness gunshop. Thanks.

Plus, an education wouldn't hurt me. The differences between the models and which one would be the best, in your opinion. Thanks again.
Old Law Dawg
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Suggestions for picking up a Win. 73

Post by GonnePhishin »

Use both hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hi, Kimwcook.

Prices on the 1873 have jumped a lot in the past couple of years. More money for less rifle than in the past. :? I have been collecting this model for many years, and they are running away from me - at least example with good condition. :lol: My best advice, if you are looking for investment grade examples, would be to buy from good reputable antique arms dealers. Not to say that the occasional bargain does not pop up on the local rake, but a fella can get stuck if he is not aware. Cabella's is not a bad source, if you know what to look for, and they will bargain with you. Second, buy yourself a copy of "Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Vol 1", by Arthur Pirkle. It is a paperback, very inexpensive, and very informative. Save the money you will spend on the big Madis Wichester book for that 1873 you want!

The short course on Winchester 1873 models is this: There are three models of the 1873. The primary (not only) difference between the three is in the design of the dust cover. First model receivers contained the dust cover on the inside of the frame in machined slots. The second model has the dust cover rail attached to the top of the frame behind the mortise with screws. On the third model, the dust cover rail is a machined integral part of the top of the receiver. If you keep this in mind, the models are easy to distinguish. By the way, the Uberti repops are based on the third model 1873.

The next big difference between models is price! :lol: A first model will cost you many times more than a second, which will in turn cost more than the third model. Third models are by far the most common.

I don't know what your expectations are in terms of price and condition, but if you are looking for a shooter don't overlook the Uberti copies. They are excellent!

Good hunting!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

You might stop by Bill Goodman's websight now and then. He gets a few '73's in from time to time. His guns are usually fairly priced and he is a very nice man to deal with. Check it out:

http://www.goodmanguns.com/

Steve
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

I've never purchased from Bill Goodman but there was a posting a while back from one of our board members who had an unpleasant experience with Mr. Goodman that ended up costing him about $1500 (if I remember the amount correctly). The buyer wanted to return the gun and Goodman would not honor a full price refund.

Again, I don't have first hand experience with Mr. Goodman and I certainly don't have an axe to grind with him either. I just remember that someone had a problem with him.