OT - Vintage Winchester 22 bolt guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Vintage Winchester 22 bolt guns

Post by AndyM »

I have a need in my shooting collection for a fairly accurate 22 bolt gun. With my passion for all things Winchester - I would like to own one or more of the following 22 bolt rifles Winchester produced pre-64. Thinking of models 52 (probably out of my price range), 69A, 72, 75.

I would like the model to be a repeater version, clip fed - possibly in sporter config. but not ruling out the target versions. Target peep sights would be really nice or a grooved receiver for scope mounting would also be a great addition.

Anyone here have any working knowledge with these models? I have handled all models at various gunshows and read up as much as I can on the models listed above. Mod. 75 sporters, I feel, are really nice, but 69A's are generally cheaper and seem to have a good reputation and following. Although a 52 sporter would be the ultimate - but at $1,000+ for a good condition model, I do not think it is currently within reach.

I would really enjoy to hear all your input on the following models. I figure someone here owns and shoots some of these models.

Thanks...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Vintage Winchester 22 bolt guns

Post by jdad »

An original 52 is probably out of a lot of our price range. The Japanese reproduction is every bit as good as the original and can be had NIB for well under $1000.

The 72 was tube fed, so that's out.

The 69A will be the most affordable. The later and more desireable ones had grooved receivers. This was also available in a "Target" and "Match" version, but read the rollstamp. These 2 variants were 22LR ONLY>

The 75 was the improved version, of the 69, and you can get a real nice target version (rear peep/front globe) for about $1000.

Here's where you should come for the knowledge you request.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... 4a385&f=52
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

You can also go here to read some good information:

rimfirecentral.com

I have a 69A, and it's great. The 75 uses the same action, but arguably has a better barrel and definitely a better stock.

I also have 52D, it's the best, but it's definitely no sporter. The Japanese 52's are very good, I'd like to own one, but I don't think they are as good as an original 52 sporter from the big red W; and I am a big fan of Miroku made products.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just sold my sporterized original Model 52 (for very much more than a Miroku repro), and now only have a Model 69A, which is nearly as accurate at hunting ranges - and a couple of pounds lighter.

The older I get, the more carrying weight becomes a consideration for me.

I'm talking about keeping a magazine-ful of shots under a dime @ 40yds or so, from hunting/shooting positions.

Gone ( and since replaced with four new-to-me guns :mrgreen: ):

Kept:

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's a repro 52 just in need of a scope......$750 Delivered.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vb ... ad&id=9629
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

If you can live with a tube fed the Model 72 that you mentioned can still be found for more reasonable money. My 72 has the factory peep sight and is a fun gun to shoot and very accurate also. The latter 72 also have a grooved receiver for a scope.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't understand dismissing the tube mag. It works and you won't lose it... (Don't ask me how I know.)

I have a 72, also with the factory peep. Works a treat. Has head shot many a squirrel.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I had a Browning M52 Sporter (limited edition) years ago that I bought new for $600
sounds like what you need.

My current M52 is a Pre-A Speedlock from 1929 I paid $1500 for but is sure is sweet to shoot.
I haven't hunted with this one yet but will someday, it's got a long barrel and is heavy.

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Both94sPlus
Levergunner

Post by Both94sPlus »

Some right GORGEOUS 22s featured in this thread! Thanks for posting the pics.

I have a real beater of a Winchester bolt 22, a Model 67--single shot, pull-the-striker variant that was kind of an ugly duckling........until its first range trip. Fed ammo it likes, that rifle will SHOOT. It came with an El Paso Weaver 3X scope in place, D&T onto the receiver with a pretty substantial mount. I plan to send the scope to Jack Ruiz for a clean-up, but in the meantime it's a fun little rat whacker.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I counted it up and I've been packing my 69A for exactly a half century. First rifle I ever owned. To this day, the only question a p-dog, inside of 75 yds, has is do they want in the left eye or the right eye.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My father in law picked up a model 69 (No A) at an auction for $50. He didn't like the safety so he wanted to get rid of it , so I gave him $50. I wasn't really looking for one but he is retired and just wanted to get his money back out of it. I try to do my part to help the inlaws. It had a broken firing pin spring, replaced that , shoots good. But my Marlin 39A is my go to gun when I hit the woods.