OT-Ammo going up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Ammo going up

Post by 505stevec »

Well I have told all the family to get me .22 ammo from Wally World by the brick for Christmas this year. I am too old to worry about anything other than what is practical for me and with prices going up and expecting bad things in the future this will be a few thousand .22s I wont have to get later, everything else I either have alot of or can reload. How is your ammo worry being dealt with? Am I just paranoid or wise?
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Ammo going up

Post by salvo »

Seems like the .22 bricks jump to around $17.00 from $12.00 in the last couple of months.
I have been spending $40.00 out of my paycheck each week, case of primers, box of bullets, can of powder and it seems I have hardly put a dent in having a nice supply. I know lead and copper has gone down but I sure have not seen it!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have 12 ammo cans of ammo for my pistols and rifles. Its not enough, but I keep adding to it as I reload, and buy .22. I have 20 some boxes of 45-70, about the same for .308, .38, .357. .45acp. I have several thousand rounds of my favorite .22lr, and bricks more of plinking ammo. I'll keep adding and shooting. I have 3 cases of 12 ga.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One should buy all rimfire ammo by the case if it can be had. Not that I admit to doing that, just sayin'.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:One should buy all rimfire ammo by the case if it can be had. Not that I admit to doing that, just sayin'.
+1 Rimfire ammo is darn-near impossible to reload. I read an article once on somone reloading it, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why, as it was about .22's which were cheap and plentiful then. This seemed like a lot of work. Still, the concept could probably be applied to obsolete rimfire ammo, and if the Obama adminstration has its way, .22's and everything else will become obsolete! :evil: :shock:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote:One should buy all rimfire ammo by the case if it can be had. Not that I admit to doing that, just sayin'.
+1 Rimfire ammo is darn-near impossible to reload. I read an article once on somone reloading it, but for the life of me I couldn't understand why, as it was about .22's which were cheap and plentiful then. This seemed like a lot of work. Still, the concept could probably be applied to obsolete rimfire ammo, and if the Obama adminstration has its way, .22's and everything else will become obsolete! :evil: :shock:
So YK, you are saying I should start saving .22 brass?

I watched one of the gun shows on the Outdoor Channel last night showing CCI rimfire ammo being made. I was amazed at how they primed the cases. They had a lady manually spreading wet primer mixture on a "cookie sheet" with tiny holes. The process looked sort of like spreading grout over tiles. The holes filled with primer, the sheet was then placed on a tray of empy brass, the priming paste pushed into the brass, and the brass was spun to get the primer into the rim of the case. What was amazing is that they load 4,000,000 rounds per day and although everything else is automated, the primers are spread into the "cookie cutters" by hand (at least it was for the type ammo they showed being loaded).

Instead of reloading .22 LR, I think I'll just multiply my remaining life expectancy times the number of .22 rounds I shoot per year and go buy that many and call it good. :D
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm taking that route too - simply buy more!!! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hey goat, I saw the same show. Four million rounds a day. Hard to believe that much is needed to keep the ole 22's shooting.
Old Law Dawg
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I've been buying at least 2,200 .22lr a month for about a year now. Plus other ammo.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Corbin makes bullet swaging equipment - most here have probably heard of them. Anyway, spent .22LR brass makes a dandy .224" bullet - around 55-60 grains IIRC. This got started during WWII again, IIRC. But not a bad way to make bullets for your .223!

So do collect those spent casings!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just received a $400 shipment of components and dies from Graff and Sons (I can't stand Midway anymore!). Prices always go up in January, sometimes by a lot!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I am getting a major order buy for Grafs, and will be placing the order next week. Includes several 8# of various powder, primers, & etc.

Midway's prices are always going up. Some one has to pay for all that advertising they do.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I've got more of everything than I should have; is that possible! :D :D :D
Yet I still want and buy more. If I don't use it all up, it will be left to friends and relatives. However, I plan on burning a lot of powder and pushing lead till then. :twisted: :twisted:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !