OT Got the Baby Browning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Got the Baby Browning

Post by TedH »

I got my hands on that Baby Browning I asked you all about. It was in a lot better shape than I expected. It is a FN/Belgium made model. The old fellow also had the little leather soft case with it. It's got some old grease/oil that needs cleaned up and it has a very small amount of blueing wear on some of the corners, most of it you can't see without strong light. After a little discussion, he said I could have it for $200. I said ok and we both went home happy.

Man, these things are TINY! I didn't remember them being so small. I could easily hide it in the palm of my hand. I'll get her cleaned up and inspected and get to the range as soon as I can.

Found a site on the net with some good info. Serial # dates mine to 1966 manufacture.

This next pic gives a little better scale.

Last edited by TedH on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT A GOOD DAY

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Those are really neat old pieces.
Old Law Dawg
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT A GOOD DAY

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ted that is a really great picture. Thats the stuff i remember seeing at the gunshows in the late 70s and early 80s but never purchased. :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT A GOOD DAY-NEW GUN-PIC

Post by TedH »

Thanks, I just hastily snapped that in poor light. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does.

I took it all apart last night and got it cleaned up good. I couldn't figure out how to field strip it and had to turn to the net for help. It is a pretty cool design. Push the slide back about a half inch and turn the barrel a 1/4 turn and the barrel/slide will pull off the front.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Man, these things are TINY! I didn't remember them being so small. I could easily hide it in the palm of my hand. I'll get her cleaned up and inspected and get to the range as soon as I can.

Vest/pocket gun for sure.
Old Law Dawg
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

TedH wrote:I couldn't figure out how to field strip it and had to turn to the net for help. It is a pretty cool design. Push the slide back about a half inch and turn the barrel a 1/4 turn and the barrel/slide will pull off the front.
Ah, it comes apart like the Colt 1903 .32ACP then, another very cool pistola you should check out.

You need a pic of that one sitting in the muzzle of that large bore double rifle in your avatar... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Boy, him's a tiny wittle guy ain't he!
awp101 wrote:You need a pic of that one sitting in the muzzle of that large bore double rifle in your avatar... :lol:
Yeah. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

It looks SO cute like a 1911 puppy. :mrgreen: My dad told me his father always owned a Little Baby Browning pistol, I wonder what ever became of it. :?:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

awp101 wrote:
You need a pic of that one sitting in the muzzle of that large bore double rifle in your avatar... :lol:
Those two are certainly the small and large extremes in my collection of firearms. :lol:
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Got the Baby Browning

Post by rjohns94 »

excellent condition. very nice and I think you got a most excellent deal on that one
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You ought to buy that seller quite a few beers, Ted - That's was cheap at twice the price ! ;) :P :P

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah Pete, I almost felt bad about it, but he is getting on in years and I think he mostly just wanted me to have it. He's been very close to our family since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I think if I told him I couldn't afford it, he would have just gave it to me.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - that is in excellent condition! What a nice addition to your collection! Congratulations!!! :D :mrgreen: 8)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ted,

That is neat!

I know where there is a Colt that looks like your Browning. It has been for sale for a couple of years. I always mistake it for a Browning. The caliber, .25, is what stops me from haggling for it. :oops: :evil:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If that's a 1958-68 Colt(Astra)Junior or a 1970-73 Colt (FIE) .25 Auto, it's a collectible too - worth $350, or so, in excellent condition, Hagler.

[EDIT] - There's also the original model, the early (1908-1946) Vest Pocket Model 1908 .25 ACP,
worth $650 (blue) to $900 (nickel), with an additional $100 if they have the issue pearl grips that some did.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Cool!
My wifes carry pistol is a .25 Browning with pearl grips that she bought new way back when. I will post a pic of it on this thread later as she has gone to the office and has it with her (most of the time). :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And then again, IF you like little guns, but not .25 ACP's...................... ;)

A standard .22 WRM over standard .22 LR and .22 Short models:

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice set Pete!
NRA Life Member
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

this is as small as it gets in my collection...the stomping 32 auto :lol: funny I cast and reload for the walthers :shock: .

DAV life member.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Pete,

Now you got me thinkin'! :D The Colt that I am talking about looks like an older gun. It looks like something from the 1920s. I will have to find out just when & where it was made. :idea:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I must be having a senior day, Hagler - I left the early (1908-1946) Vest Pocket Model 1908 .25 off my list above. :oops:

They're worth at least 2x-3x the value of the later guns, $650 (blue) & $900 (nickel) & some came with pearl grips (+ $100).

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

As I said before, those are neat little poppers.

However, If you plan to carry it in your pocket, I strongly urge you to get a pocket holster for it. The safeties have a tendency to work off and leave the cocked-UNLOCKED pistol pointing in the general direction of the front of your underwear. Not a reassuring happening! :shock:
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah Doc, that could be a problem. Reminds me of Maxwell Smart.....missed it by THAT much. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Ted,

:?: What if you can't miss? :?: ...hmmmmmm?

Shawn
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Pete,

:idea: :idea: :idea: Now you really got thinking... :idea: :idea: :idea:

Shawn
ImageImage
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hagler wrote:Ted,

:?: What if you can't miss? :?: ...hmmmmmm?

Shawn
Missing that wouldn't be difficult in my case. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Nice score & very concealable.

& remember a .25 in the hand is better than a .45 in the safe....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice score..Always wanted the Colt then the Browning... Wound up with a 1920s Spanish knock off I got for helping an old buddy.. It's an amazing piece of work.. Grip safety, magazine safety as well as a trigger safety.. Fits in the watch pocket of my Bibs...Has always gone bang when told to..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY